Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Harrier GR9 from RAF Cottesmore crashes on way to air show. (RIAT 06)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Harrier GR9 from RAF Cottesmore crashes on way to air show. (RIAT 06)

The pilot of an RAF fighter jet that crashed near a pub and main road ejected just seconds before the plane hit the ground, it has emerged. The Harrier GR9, from RAF Cottesmore in Rutland, came down near Sturdy's Castle Pub, Tackley, on Thursday afternoon.

The plane came down and
    exploded near a pub and main road.

The pilot, who was unhurt, has been praised for steering away from nearby homes and businesses.

Gp Capt Shaun Bell told BBC News: "He ejected about two or three seconds before the aircraft hit the ground."

Work will continue at the
    scene over the weekend

'Thankful no one injured'

He added: "He was probably under the parachute for no more than a couple of seconds as well - and I think he hit the ground pretty hard as a result of that."

The pilot is believed to be receiving medical checks at a hospital in Nottingham.

Eyewitness Matt Gray told the BBC News Website: "It seems the aircraft did a fly-by of Oxford Airport first before circling around - possibly to join the traffic pattern for landing.

"Being a keen plane spotter I went for the camera to get a nice shot of the aircraft landing, but to my horror I turned around to see a plume of black smoke."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/5181590.stm

Sad to read that RAF lost a GR9. But thank g-d for the pilot ejected in time.
    Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-07-17, 00:18.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Glad to hear the pilot got out safe.....great job on his part to avoid hitting any residences.
    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 28-135mm IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f4L
    EF 100-400L IS
    1.4X II Teleconverter
    Canon 420EX Speedlite
    Canon 430EX Speedlite
    Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Great work by the pilot, glad everything is alright..

Comment

If that happened to me, I think I'd head straight in to the pub for a post incident beer Gotta calm the nerves. Wouldn't even take off the chute.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
          If that happened to me, I think I'd head straight in to the pub for a post incident beer Gotta calm the nerves. Wouldn't even take off the chute.
          What a great day to end the day with huh.? Direct stop at the nearest pub.
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Congrats for the Professional, some could say again "it's the Royal Air Force", it's quality, well done.
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
            X