AMRAAM used in dogfight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMRAAM used in dogfight?

Can a fighter equipped with AMRAAM can used it close combat dogfights? I heard most new fighters had more AMRAAM than Sidewinder.
    Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

AMRAAM(Andvanced Medium Range Air to Air Missle? guessing) is a mid-long range missle, sidewiders are short range.

Comment

AMRAAM or ASRAAM ?

Originally posted by Irfan
      Can a fighter equipped with AMRAAM can used it close combat dogfights? I heard most new fighters had more AMRAAM than Sidewinder.
      Well there is a short range version of this one. Maybe its this what you were referring to ?

And its :
      The AIM-132 ASRAAM (Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile )
      is a British air-to-air missile with infra-red guidance.

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

No i mean that AMRAAM can used in close-combat?
        Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

Comment

Originally posted by Irfan
          No i mean that AMRAAM can used in close-combat?
          So you'd like your question answered for a third time? The AIM-120 was not designed as a short range missle, thats what AIM-9s, ASRAAMs, Archers, etc are for.

Comment

Amraams are designed to be locked on from several miles away and radar-guided to the target. The Sidewinder is fired at short range and guides itself to the strongest heat source.

It is much better suited to the dogfight role than the Amraam is...playing Lock On: Modern Air Combat alot, I can tell ya that!
            ________
            Best portable vaporizer

Comment

Originally posted by dneedham
              Amraams are designed to be locked on from several miles away and radar-guided to the target. The Sidewinder is fired at short range and guides itself to the strongest heat source.

It is much better suited to the dogfight role than the Amraam is...playing Lock On: Modern Air Combat alot, I can tell ya that!
              You seems to experienced

Which one is the so-called Fire and Forget missile again ?

How advanced is the Sidewinders than Amraams ?

Is Asraams harder to fool with chaffs than sidewinders ?

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Both are "fire and forget" missles. The new Sidewinders and AMRAAMS are both bassed on very old designs. The AIM-9 sidewinder has gone through many versions sincs it came out, the latest is the AIM-9X. The AIM-120 is based on the AIM-7 Sparrow, but is a hell of a lot more effective than the original AIM-7's! This is an interesting pic showing the AMRAAM against the one of the newest Sparrow.

And ohh yeah, chaff fools radar guided missles. Flares are for heat seakers.

Comment

Working...
                X