Atlantis to Ride Out Ernesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantis to Ride Out Ernesto

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - For the first time in history, NASA reversed a space shuttle's slow trek from its launch pad Tuesday, sending Atlantis back into position after deciding that the spaceship could ride out Tropical Storm Ernesto.

The surprising reversal means Atlantis would ride out Ernesto's high winds and rain on the pad. Assuming that the storm does no damage, launch director Mike Leinbach told reporters that the shuttle could lift off for the international space station on Sept. 6 or 7.

The change came after weather forecasters determined that the storm wouldn't hit NASA's Kennedy Space Center as forcefully as they once thought. Its peak winds were expected to be less than 79 mph (126 kilometers per hour), NASA spokesman Bruce Buckingham said.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

well...logic would lead me to believe that if the Shuttle can withstand being sent to space and back then 79mph winds shouldn't be an issue...but then again it is the space shuttle...and it is NASA.

Comment

It would be pretty interesting to see what happens. All in all, I hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
        well...logic would lead me to believe that if the Shuttle can withstand being sent to space and back then 79mph winds shouldn't be an issue...but then again it is the space shuttle...and it is NASA.
        And a tiny piece of foam helped destroy Columbia.

Comment

Well considering the fact that some of those afternoon thunderstorms Florida gets could probably do more damage than Ernesto at this point, I don't think it will be much of a problem.

Winds are 45mph now, and the thing hasn't even been over land, by the time it gets to Cape Canaveral, it probably wont be much more than a rain storm.

As the big flightless bird said, the shuttle can (is supposed to) be able to withstand the forces of launch and re-entry, so I don't think 45mph (or less) winds will do anything to it. Unless something else breaks, or someone forgets a tool or something that goes flying and hits the orbiter.

Comment

Working...
          X