Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52 registrations

Hi,

I am far form being an expert on military registrations and would appreciate an explanation of the correct format for a B52. I have a picture of a tail which shows the reg to be 60003 but when I view other photos of the same ship the aircraft is listed as 60-0003. This seems to be the same for all B52s so is the six digit format correct despite the fact that the reg painted on the tail is only five digits?

Thanks

Im 95% sure that all USAF a/c have the standard 6 digit reg. 60-0003 is correct.

Serial Code Type CN Unit Status First Last Comment
    60-0003 BD B-52H-BW 464368 93rd BS act apr95 may05 AFRC grey, 'Master Blaster'
    Also use scramble.nl

Comment

For some reason the USAF leaves out the first number. I have no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
        For some reason the USAF leaves out the first number. I have no idea why.
        Which first number are you refering to Jordan?

Comment

Like on an F-15 for example the numbers on the tail will be something like 75-026 when the real number is like 75-0026. Kinda like that. Or on something like a B-52 where it reads 7798, when the full reg is something like 79-7798. I hope that made sense.

Comment

Yea not to sure why they do that, maybe a little google and we will find out.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
              Yea not to sure why they do that, maybe a little google and we will find out.
              I did a big google before posting this thread but couldnt find the answer!

To further illustrate the point here are two photos of the same aircraft taken on the same day.

[photoid=5817656]

[photoid=5815342]

Comment

Originally posted by cja
                I did a big google before posting this thread but couldnt find the answer!
                That's because you didn't google Joe Baugher

He's got a very good explanation of the system on his website plus a very comprehensive listing of USAF serials:

Comment

Originally posted by kukkudrill
                  That's because you didn't google Joe Baugher
                  Many thanks for that and after reading this I guess that the official answer is that it should be a 6 digit code although this is not reflected in the markings on the tail!

All those exceptions to the rule listed on this website make it a less than strightforward system. It sounds more like something that would be dreamt up in Brussels rather than the USA!

Thanks to all who replied, I will amend my photo accordingly.

This has just been taken form the above Web site for anyone interested.

"60-0001/0013 Boeing B-52H-135-BW Stratofortress c/n 464366/464378
                  0003 tail is sitting in a scrap metal bin at Tinker AFB. The nose section is on display at the Hangar 25 Museum, Big Spring, TX. However, this plane was seen at an airshow in Scotland Sept 2001, in 93rd BS markings."
                  Last edited by cja; 2006-09-20, 10:35. Reason: Further info

Comment

Working...
                  X