(C-17, C-5) Main gears fascination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (C-17, C-5) Main gears fascination

Just wanted to share my fascination to the C-17 and the C-5.

According to the videos at flightlevels. the C.5 main gears retracts after it has turned into 30*degrees. point.

See example below.
    [photoid=5680356]

The complexity of both the C5 always amazes me.
    [photoid=5851643]

[photoid=5754807]

But the one that really fascinated me is the C17. Upon retraction, none of them have the same direction, makes it kinda awesome to see. Now I haven't really seen how this works in real life. But by the looks of this photo, this proves it all. Nice engineering.

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Sweet engineering, but the more complicated it is, the more likely its going to break. I know when I lived on an airbase, C-5s would break all the time and be stuck on the ground for days at a time.

Comment

Man those flaps on that C-17 are HUGE! An interesting rig when I saw her at the airshow this Sept.
      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
        Man those flaps on that C-17 are HUGE! An interesting rig when I saw her at the airshow this Sept.
        Yeah, the C-17 is one of my favorite military aircraft. I like things that are functional, and watching the C-17 come in with a full load and stop in less than 4,000ft is pretty spectacular.

Comment

Very fascinating, though I personally still prefer the 50+-wheel-bogies the AN124/225s have .

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
            Very fascinating, though I personally still prefer the 50+-wheel-bogies the AN124/225s have .
            I'd like to get ahold of the abnormal checklist for those planes to see what they do if one set of wheels doesn't come down. Depending on the weight I bet they just go "eh...we'll land without it"

Comment

Re: C-17 Globemaster III

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              Yeah, the C-17 is one of my favorite military aircraft. I like things that are functional, and watching the C-17 come in with a full load and stop in less than 4,000ft is pretty spectacular.
              Yup also mine. It's Aerodynamically design look, although it is "FAT" is fantastic.
              Is this the first Cargo plane that has capabilities to use reverse backward, I dont know the exact word for it. Maybe you can tell me? apart from that combined with STOL just make it perfect.

Comment

I believe the C-5 gear is like the B-52 where they "crab" upon landing.

[photoid=5656846]

Comment

MaxPowers got a fetish

Comment

I can't wait for the RCAF to get them, hopefully soon.
                    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam at MAN
                      MaxPowers got a fetish
                      You darn right. It's better than having foot fetish. Pah.

@ O'brien, Nice Belly shot Dave !...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                        You darn right. It's better than having foot fetish. Pah.

@ O'brien, Nice Belly shot Dave !...
                        Thank you sir

Comment

Oh I love seeing the C-17s go out on test flights and have them rotate in less than 3000 ft! Oh and yes, those flaps are big!

[photoid=5656271]

[photoid=518057]

[photoid=470574]

Comment

Working...
                          X