F-14s Seized in LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-14s Seized in LA

The trail that led to the seizure of four Tomcat fighters in San Bernardino County had stops in Bakersfield and Hollywood, but the starting point was Iran, which still uses F-14s in its active fleet.

On Tuesday, federal agents seized the four jets after investigators determined that the craft were not demilitarized and were improperly sold or transferred to private parties, including museums and the producer of the TV show "JAG," authorities said.

The rest of the article here http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

Interesting, and somewhat predictable.

Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Do we have an idea of how many F-14 Iran is still flying ? Very very few I imagine

Comment

Interesting, here in Canada the wing spars are cut on war capable aircraft that are not directly disposed of by the govt to friendly nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
          Do we have an idea of how many F-14 Iran is still flying ? Very very few I imagine
          Most reports that i have heard state that very few still fly but the air frames are also reported to be in EXCELLENT conditions because of such limited use.

Comment

According to what I heard, Iran ordered 80, all delivered, out of which 15 or so are kept operational.
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Ive heard that none are operational and might have been sabotaged by Grumman employees before they evacuated.

As for the seized ones, how do they get them out of there? I presume they might need some, if not a lot of repairs to make them flyable to get them out. Or are they going to disassemble them onsight?

Comment

Apparently (and if true), Grumann employees could not have time enough to sabotage them all. F.14s were used during the Iran/Iraq war with some success. Many pilots and weaponery officers who had been jailed after the fall of Shah were even given the opportunity to serve as the "revolution guides"'leader came to the point of pardonning them ! .
                Alain
                Last edited by uy707; 2007-03-13, 16:47.
                Thanks for visiting
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

It has also been reported at times that some were sold to the USSR !
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                  X