F15 Vs F18 rear landing gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F15 Vs F18 rear landing gear.

So i was browsing through photos from AVV and noticed a difference in the rear landing gear between the F15 and F18.
    [photoid=5952693]
    The F18s rear gear seem very slung back where as
    [photoid=557211]
    The F15s go straight down to the wheels.

So my question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each configuration and why are they different?

I know this could go in the briefing room, but since about two military aircraft it went here for our military experts. Feel free to move it.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Originally posted by seahawk
    carrier capable - not carrier capable
    That was my guess but i couldnt come up with a reason why that would matter, any insights there?
    Sam Rudge

Comment

a carrier landing is more a controled crash, then a landing. So the gear needs to be able to take a much higher "impact" force. And as you see on the F18 the whole design is stronger and the shock absorber is much bigger. There is also a hinge in the gear, so that the wheel can move upwards into the shock absorber. That construction is good vor absorbing forces in the vertical and horizontal direction at the same time.
      My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
      My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
      ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Cheers, how does this compare to the F14 which seems closer to the F15 than F18?
        Sam Rudge

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvTIGhsJ2g

Check these videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0qBXp-upI

The F15 eagle's gears looks like toothpicks compared to F18's rigid gears, that can withstand the massive force upon landing on the carrier. The F15 would likely to break easily if it ever tried.
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

The original YF-17 landing gear was similar to the F-15's. When they Navy caught sight of the prototype, which later became the F/A-18, they wanted the landing gear redesigned. Hence the beefed-up gear on the Hornet.

Comment

Working...
            X