Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Angels Crash

Live on CNN right now.

One jet down in a Beaufort, South Carolina neighborhood.

I'll post a link when an article appears.

WASHINGTON - A jet fighter flown by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels demonstration team crashed Saturday during an airshow in South Carolina and a number of houses were on fire, according to media reports.

Witness Scott Houston told CNN in a telephone interview that he saw six Blue Angels jets flying low behind a grove of trees at the end of an airshow in Beaufort, S.C., and only five emerged.

A cloud of smoke was seen rising from the area.

Comment

Both Fox News and CNN have said the pilot did not eject from the aircraft.

Edit:

Now CNN says they don't know the status of the pilot. Breaking News stories are such a pain to follow.

Comment

I saw it on CNN, but they kept giving different stories, so I got kind of confused. I do hope the pilot is alright!
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Apparently CNN has now confirmed that the pilot is the lone fatality in the crash.

Comment

Well that's sad news
            ADG
            No makeovers please .....

Comment

Which plane was it and who was flying it too?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                Well that's sad news
                sad news indeed..

off topic: Where the hell have you been?

Comment

Originally posted by CcrlR
                  Which plane was it and who was flying it too?
                  I heard on TV it was the number 6 jet, but who knows if they are correct.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

R.I.P, Lt.Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis, Blue Angel #6

Comment

So sad. He was the narrator for the past 3 Blue Angels shows I saw. Godspeed.

Comment

I found out he was in the number 7 aircraft one year ago and I got him taking someone up at Airventure. By the way thanks for the info, I just needed to find out because I have a photo of him last July.
                        Number 7 takes off at Airventure 2006. Sadly, the pilot of this flighter jet Lt. Col. Kevin J Davis was killed in a airshow performance in Beaufort, South Carolina. He was flying number 6 that day, but here he is taking up a reporter at Airventure one year ago. Our thoughts are with your family and the fighter jet team.. 161943. McDonnell Douglas F/A-18B Hornet. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

truely sad, God speed....

Comment

Check out this asshole trying to make money off of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Angels-Airshow-Ti...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Pilot Error: Navy says aviator failed to counter gravitational forces

SOURCE: Pilot.com, citing The Virginian-Pilot
                              DATE: JAN 15, 2008
                              BY: Louis Hansen, News researcher Maureen Watts contributed

Navy says Blue Angel pilot didn't tense muscles before crash

Excerpts:

A sharp, high-speed, low-altitude turn caused a Navy Blue Angels pilot to almost black out, lose control and crash his F/A-18 Hornet last April at a South Carolina air show, according to a Navy investigation.

The report, obtained Monday by The Virginian-Pilot, faulted Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Davis for pulling into a high-force turn too close to the ground near Beaufort Marine Corps Air Station on April 21. He died in the crash.

Investigators also found the Blue Angels failed to receive the appropriate waiver from the top Navy brass to fly without G-suits for training and performances. "This lack of careful attention to operating requirements is unacceptable," wrote Vice Adm. John C. Harvey Jr. in a response to the investigation.

However, the report concluded that a G-suit - used to counteract intense gravitational forces in a fighter jet - would not have prevented Davis' crash.

Capt. Jack Hanzlik, public affairs officer for the chief of naval personnel, said conflicting rules led Blue Angels leadership to believe they had complied with safety precautions. Navy Hornet pilots typically do not wear G-suits because they could interfere with operating the aircraft's control stick between their legs, he said.

The performances will remain unchanged for the upcoming season, which beings in March, Hanzlik said. Pilots will not be required to wear G-suits. But the squadron will incorporate several new training rules.

Pilots will undergo annual testing in a centrifuge that mimics the forces exerted on a Blue Angels pilot during a performance. They will also be required to exercise a full range of muscle groups at least three times per week.

Better physical conditioning helps pilots sustain higher forces during difficult maneuvers, Hanzlik said. "We're going to focus on great physical fitness," he said.

-snip-

Investigators believe Davis fell behind the five fighter jets during a final formation in the April 21 performance. He accelerated to catch up, pulling into a low turn that brought a force of nearly seven times Earth's gravity into the cockpit.

The force caused Davis' vision to narrow and brought him near unconsciousness. Once Davis saw the ground fast approaching, he tried to level his wings and pull up, the report stated, "but he was too low to recover the aircraft."

His parents attended the show, which was the only time they saw their son fly in a Blue Angels performance. Hanzlik said the family told the Navy they did not wish to comment on the crash and investigation.

The investigation was conducted by Marine Corps Lt. Col. Javier J. Ball and took eight months to complete.

The Blue Angels have lost three aviators since they began flying Hornets in 1987. The aviators have major accidents at twice the rate of F/A-18 pilots flying in the fleet, according to Navy safety statistics.

The Blue Angels briefly stopped flying after the crash, then resumed their performance schedule, including an appearance at the Oceana Air Show in September.
                              AD.info? Rings a bell somehow...

Comment

Working...
                              X