Snowbird Pilot killed in Montana Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowbird Pilot killed in Montana Practice

A veteran Canadian Air Force Snowbirds pilot rehearsing above the skies of Malmstrom Air Force Base was killed Friday when his jet split from its formation and plummeted to the ground. Capt. Shawn McCaughey of Candiac, Quebec, the deputy team leader, was killed instantly when his jet smashed into a field near the MAFB runway. He is the sixth Snowbird pilot killed since 1972.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...EWS01/70518020

Sad news, get these guys out of the damn tutors!!

I agree Bruno.....The snowbird pilots are some of the best in the world, so I highly doubt it was pilot error. Sounds like a mechanical failure......time to replace those antiques with something modern. How long does the Canadian government need to wait before it decides to move into the new age with its performance team??
    Last edited by medic1; 2007-05-19, 13:41.
    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 28-135mm IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f4L
    EF 100-400L IS
    1.4X II Teleconverter
    Canon 420EX Speedlite
    Canon 430EX Speedlite
    Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

truely sad, first blue's and now the snowbirds. I pray it doesn't come in 3's....

Thoughts and Prayers out to Capt. Shawn McCaughey's friends and family.

Comment

I agree, they need a change in aircraft, and they need it now.

So sad to lose 2 talented demonstration pilots in such a sequence. My condolences to his family.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Very sad. I saw the CBC interview with his Dad, and felt badly for the man, as I do for his fianee to whom he was married next month.

I was with the Canadian Forces Parachute Team in 1989 when Capt Shane Antaya crashed at the CNE Airshow-we happened to be elsewhere that weekend as our schedules overlapped a lot. Had a real sobering effect on ones outlook as an airshow participant. RIP flying with the angels my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
            How long does the Canadian government need to wait before it decides to move into the new age with its performance team??
            Unfortunately, with all those new C-17s and Cyclone purchases on the way, replacements for a show team is way down on the priority list, if on the list at all

Comment

Working...
            X