• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HERKIE SAYS "I AM NOT YET OUT"

As some shows the best way to replace Herks is to be done with newer Herks

Norway signs for Lockheed Martin C-130Js
    By Graham Warwick

Norway has signed an agreement for the urgent purchase of four Lockheed Martin C-130Js. A contract is expected to be signed later this year for the delivery of one aircraft next year, one in 2009 and two in 2010.

The Norwegian and US governments have signed the letter of offer and acceptance for the C-130J deal, valued at just over $500 million. Norway will get its C-130Js early by taking aircraft from the US Air Force production run. The Royal Norwegian Air Force has currently has six C-130Hs, deliveries of which took place in 1969, according to Flight's MiliCAS database.

Canada is also hoping for early delivery of C-130Js, and is expected to issue a request for proposals to Lockheed within the next few weeks. The Ottawa government has already budgeted to purchase 17 aircraft, plus 20 years of support.

India is expected to buy six C-130Js for its special operations forces. Congress was notified of the proposed $1 billion foreign military sale in early June. If the letter of offer and acceptance is signed this year, deliveries could begin in 2010.
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Canada's C130J purchase is to replace E models purchased in 1964!!!! I believe some early H's dating from mid 1970s are also part of this program. I worked on a project to replace the wiring on the E's when they hit the 25 year point in 1989 and I recall thinking how ancient those birds were at that point!

There is a lot of whining as to why the govt is going to a sole source contract, fact of the matter being that there is not a flying competitor available today although Airbus makes a lot of noise about their still on the drawing board Herc replacement.

Comment

Air Forces around the globe are surely getting as much out of their C-130s as possible. Canada's from 1964, Norway's from 1969. Will be interesting to see whether those countries will still be operating the C-130Js in 2047 or so .

Comment

Probably some will ...

And another one hits the air - destination : Denmark

PICTURE: Denmark receives last Lockheed Martin C-130J transport
        By Craig Hoyle

Lockheed Martin has delivered the fourth and final C-130J acquired to meet the tactical transport requirements of the Royal Danish Air Force.

The service has now amassed almost 5,000 flight hours with the type since putting its previous examples into use from early 2004.

© Lockheed Martin

Flown by the air force's 721 Sqn from Aalborg airbase and manufactured in Lockheed's stretched-fuselage C-130J-30 configuration, Denmark's C-130Js are being used for tasks including the delivery of peacekeeping personnel and support equipment. One of its aircraft has flown more than 250 missions from Kuwait within the last six months, according to Lockheed.

Denmark also last July became the first signatory to a pooled airlift initiative, under which it will gain shared access to up to four Boeing C-17 strategic transports from mid-2008, along with up to 16 other NATO and Partnership for Peace nations
        Last edited by uy707; 2007-07-13, 13:51.
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
        X