Northrop/EADS Beats Boeing For Tanker Contract / KC-45 Contract Awarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northrop/EADS Beats Boeing For Tanker Contract / KC-45 Contract Awarded

Just received an email from Aviation Week breaking the news.

Here's the link to Flight Global...

Now for my personal opinion, I can't believe this has happened. Business is business and the fact that they will be building the factory here is good.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Nice going USAF. Putting our national security in the hands of the French, and at a time when the US economy is in a slow down, nuking the prospect of 40,000+ jobs.

I watched the press conference and have never seen so much spin put out by a military officer. He could give any politician a run for his money in how to spin. Why do I get the feeling that the decision had been made before the bidding ever began.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
      Nice going USAF. Putting our national security in the hands of the French, and at a time when the US economy is in a slow down, nuking the prospect of 40,000+ jobs.

I watched the press conference and have never seen so much spin put out by a military officer. He could give any politician a run for his money in how to spin. Why do I get the feeling that the decision had been made before the bidding ever began.
      I imagine he had an awful lot of explaining to do as to why they chose the sensible option and not the political one.

Comment

Nice going USAF. Putting our national security in the hands of the French
        The same way that many European countries put their national security in the hands of the Americans.

Anyway, the best product won for a change but this sounds like the beginning of the end of the "American Empire".

Perhaps next we shall see an A380 as Air Force One.
        TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Nice going USAF. Putting our national security in the hands of the French
          I support your argument IF you are willing to extend that to all the other countries, meaning US stops complaining about mounting military R&D expenditure of other countries so they can be self-sufficient in terms of "national security". And that includes countries like India, China, Russia and even Iran.

There were news a few weeks ago saying that the Airbus offer fits the technology and operational specification laid out by USAF better, although I am still surprised the deal did go to Airbus/Northrop at the end. On the other hand, I think Boeing made a tactical error by using 767 to compete with A330. It was proven in the civil airliner market that 767 could not compete with A330 (that's why Boeing started working on 787). Boeing just wanted to use this to keep the 767 line running. What it should have done is to say goodbye to the 767 line, and used 777 to compete with Airbus on this bid. The 777-200F can easily be redeveloped into a tanker. This would be much superior to the A330.

But this doesn't mean Boeing has lost completely. This deal is only 40% of the replacement requirement. If Boeing is smart and use 777 to compete when next contract comes up, it will have a much bigger chance. Airbus doesn't have anything else in the pipeline to use since A350 will not be ready even by then to be developed into a tanker.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

I don't for one second that either Boeing or the Senators from Illinois and Washington will take this sitting down. Moreover I don't think the Commander in Chief will be supportive of this move and I think this whole mess will move onto an even messier phase.

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
              But this doesn't mean Boeing has lost completely. This deal is only 40% of the replacement requirement. If Boeing is smart and use 777 to compete when next contract comes up, it will have a much bigger chance. Airbus doesn't have anything else in the pipeline to use since A350 will not be ready even by then to be developed into a tanker.
              Airbus does also have the A310 as a tanker, already in service. Obviously a smaller airframe. The A330 is all round best on capability grounds : more fuel offload ability and from a greater range distance, more cargo, more passengers and so on. I don't think they need to match the old KC-135 fleet number for number. The US still gains a great amount from the deal, the engines, the manufacture and so on. No-one complains very much when European airlines or air forces buy American.

Comment

Report: Airbus will build the A330-200 sections in Europe and ship the components to the US. A new factory in Mobile, Alabama will perform final assembly before moving to a nearby Northrop facility to install mission equipment.

EADS also plans to manufacture the CASA-designed refuelling boom for the KC-45 in Bridgeport, West Virginia.
                I think more than half the world's countries trust their National Security with American Products why cant the US trust Airbus ?
                Are they an unknown or unproven ?? Besides, the USAF chose the best possible product to fit the bill, why does it seem fishy just because Boeing didnt get the contract ?
                Originally posted by TAP-A343
                The same way that many European countries put their national security in the hands of the Americans.

Anyway, the best product won for a change
                Originally posted by Robert Hilton
                I imagine he had an awful lot of explaining to do as to why they chose the sensible option and not the political one.
                Oh yea i wont be surprised if the american media starts digging-up things about his past, investigating him & all that nonsense.
                Report:Boeing has a right to appeal the USAF decision. A protest can be filed with the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) within 10 days after the USAF debriefs the Boeing team about the reasons for its decision. GAO is committed to issuing a judgment on the protest within 100 days. “Once we have reviewed the details behind the award,” Boeing said, “we will make a decision concerning our possible options, keeping in mind at all times the impact to the warfighter and our nation."
                © Olivier Corneloup

Comment

Earl Shibe Job

No one really thinks this plane will be "assembled" in the US do they? It will be built in France, FLOWN here, painted and the refueling boom will be glued on. Its not a factory it is a glorified paint shop.

Comment

Originally posted by ptwtanks
                    No one really thinks this plane will be "assembled" in the US do they? It will be built in France, FLOWN here, painted and the refueling boom will be glued on. Its not a factory it is a glorified paint shop.
                    Don't think so : the airframes are to be built in the new Airbus plant at Mobile.

Comment

Why, why, do a lot of people automatically think Airbus = French by default? I get sick and tired of hearing French this, French that. The wings are built here in Wales for starters with, so its a European effort, not ONLY France.
                      “If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it's OK. But you've got to shoot for something. A lot of people don't even shoot.”
                      Confucius

Comment

Monday should be interesting...get to hear what all the tanker guys here where I am think about this one. I for one am expecting to hear a lot of the "we have to buy american arguement" and not much else. lol

Comment

I think the sections will be SHIPPED to the US. final assembly will be definitely in Mobile. Actually that means the French lose their main workshare on this type. There never was an Airbus which was less French.

Comment

With the USD as weak as it is now, you can be sure that as much work as possible will be done in the US.
                            TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Funny, why choose Mobile then with the big port? No, the parts will be shipped to Mobile and assembled there.
                              "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X