TU-160 Strategic Bombers in Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TU-160 Strategic Bombers in Venezuela

The russians are playing the "cold war" games again...they currently have two Blackjack TU-160 strategic bombers in Venezuela. This is the first time since the cuban missile crisis in the early 1960s, the russians have some of their strategic weapons in the Americas. And they are moving some other stuff later on to Venezuela: one KIROV class nuclear power battle cruiser and one nuclear power anti-submarine battleship.
    Anyone know what's going on?..is this some kind of "game" because of the Georgia and Poland missile crisis with the USA?, I believe Bush is going to install some kind of anti-missile defense system in Poland.
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
    The russians are playing the "cold war" games again...they currently have two Blackjack TU-160 strategic bombers in Venezuela. This is the first time since the cuban missile crisis in the early 1960s, the russians have some of their strategic weapons in the Americas. And they are moving some other stuff later on to Venezuela: one KIROV class nuclear power battle cruiser and one nuclear power anti-submarine battleship.
    Anyone know what's going on?..is this some kind of "game" because of the Georgia and Poland missile crisis with the USA?, I believe Bush is going to install some kind of anti-missile defense system in Poland.
    The only thing the Blackjack is a threat to is itself and its crews.

Comment

This picture was taken yesterday from an airfield in Venezuela...what is the stuff to the right? an strategic missile being downloaded from a cargo plane?

Comment

That's just a towbar, isn't it ?

Comment

Yeah, looks like a towbar.

Personally, I think this is a pathetic joke. Neither the US or Russia would gain anything from going to war with each other, and it would probably be disastrous for both sides. A bunch of arrogant politicians trying to prove theirs is bigger playing with their people's money

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post

Comment

yea definitely a nuclear warhead

Comment

Do you really think that's a tow bar?

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                  IMAO

I do agree that sometimes the blackjacks capability is considerably hyped. However I do think there is a definite threat by the blackjacks. I wouldn’t scoff at their capability even if they are not apparently as capable as their counterparts.

In the 1980s I saw what I think was a drug smuggler flying in and out under the radar in general aviation pontoon sea aircraft to and from the Florida Keys. The aircraft that I watched didn’t seem to have any ECM capability, the only modifications to reduce detection seem to be to the props and exhaust to make the aircraft more quiet (as far as sound) . The pilot flew below or just above the electrical wires over the causeway to the keys. I don’t think the authorities spotted him, because he seemed to do a transaction (offload what was probably drugs) and fly away without any enforcement intervention.

My point is if civilian aircraft can apparently penetrate US coastline undetected then I would think it would be within reason to think possibly that trained military personnel and aircraft could get close to the coast or possibly even penetrate the mainland somewhat without being detected if they were using terrain masking techniques.

Just two blackjacks could cause some major harm to the US and would likely result in MAD, so I doubt that the Putain would be crazy enough to try an attack of that nature on the mainland US. However if the blackjacks end up going under the control of someone like Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, Kim Jong-il or the Iranian regime that is crazy enough to try an attack that would likely trigger Armageddon; I think the odds rise significantly to be of worrisome concern.

Another reason I wouldn’t dare scoff at the blackjacks, is take into account the Argentine attack on the British Falkland naval task force. The Argentines did significant damage with A-4 Skyhawks and dumb bombs. Using terrain masking tactics they were able to sneak up on the task force and get into striking range even with dumb bombs. If they were using blackjacks I suspect the outcome would have been much more severe and probably would’ve turned the tide of the war in favor of Argentina.

If the Argentines were able to sneak up on such a well-trained well-equipped alert military task force, I don’t think it’s beyond belief that blackjacks could get close enough to the US coastline (or its interests) or even possibly penetrate the mainland US without being detected. In any case I think it’s well within belief to think that blackjacks could get close enough to our coastline to launch cruise missiles that could do significant damage to the US. The survivability of the aggressors would be nil, and the survival of mankind would be severely suspect.

While it might be possible that we could shoot down aircraft doing terrain masking entering the US, I think it would be very difficult and unlikely. I think it’s quite possible that several aircraft or missiles could get through without being to detected until it’s too late (particularly a sneak attack during peacetime). Though the counter response would likely be Armageddon.

While I do think the original article is somewhat hyped, it does have some merit.

Comment

Russia's non-nuclear capability is exaggerated. They're barely a threat to a medium Western power. No-one in the US will be remotely worried about a few TU-160s in Venezuela. They lost a TU-22 recently, shot down by Georgian forces.

The main threats posed by Russia are in the energy suppy field and, possibly, sale of advanced weaponry to potential Western enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                      Do you really think that's a tow bar?
                      Hoo yes it's a towbar... no near the size or the aspect of that missile.

Comment

I don't know anything about missiles, but I don't really think that they would be dragging a nuclear warhead around on the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD View Post
                          I don't know anything about missiles, but I don't really think that they would be dragging a nuclear warhead around on the concrete.

exactly

Comment

Actually I think it's a very clever game the Russians are playing. Put two Blackjacks in Venezuela, and the USAF will have to mobilise a good number of E-3s, and possibly SAM and fighter units to counter this "threat". With the limited resources in hand - a war on two fronts -this could seriously jeopardise surveillance efforts near other areas which are of Russian interest - such as Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by MaltaAirSpotter View Post
                              Actually I think it's a very clever game the Russians are playing. Put two Blackjacks in Venezuela, and the USAF will have to mobilise a good number of E-3s, and possibly SAM and fighter units to counter this "threat". With the limited resources in hand - a war on two fronts -this could seriously jeopardise surveillance efforts near other areas which are of Russian interest - such as Georgia.
                              You may be right up to a point, but I'd see it as an opportunity rather than a problem : an opportunity to learn more of Russian operational practice closer to home. I think there are plenty of surveillance assets (including primarily elint and space-based) to cover most bases.

Comment

Working...
                              X