TU-160 Strategic Bombers in Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
    Russia's non-nuclear capability is exaggerated. They're barely a threat to a medium Western power. No-one in the US will be remotely worried about a few TU-160s in Venezuela. They lost a TU-22 recently, shot down by Georgian forces.
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Georgians still came off 2nd best in that tit-4-tat affair.

The only thing the Blackjack is a threat to is itself and its crews.
    not so sure about that.

I think its fairly clear the message Russia is sending, keep bases out of Ukraine & Georgia and the Russian's won't put their strategic bombers in Caracas.
    Last edited by Longreach747; 2008-09-21, 12:16.

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

Comment

and now the pictures...for real

Last edited by Dmmoore; 2008-09-21, 16:29.
      My 1000th picture at JP!
      AUDACES - FORTUNA - JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747 View Post
        correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Georgians still came off 2nd best in that tit-4-tat affair.
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that affair was a long ways from tit-for-tat.

Originally posted by Longreach747
        I think its fairly clear the message Russia is sending, keep bases out of Ukraine & Georgia and the Russian's won't put their strategic bombers in Caracas.
        In order to believe that, one would also have to believe that Putvedev actually trusts Chavez. I have my doubts.

Comment

[photoid=6363419]
          [photoid=6363416]

Ivan, please use [photoid=IMAGE_ID_NUMBER] to upload your thumbnails to the forum.

And a BIG thank you for uploading those rare shots.

Comment

I believe they found a "weak" point at NORAD, our friendly Caribbean sea and South America. if they can install an air base there, they have a 99.999% chance to hit us.
            A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

"weak" point partly because of unclever diplomacy conducted over decades. Furthermore, Venezuela has never been a member of NORAD, otherwise the acronym would read as AAMRAD
              /All AMericas
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                I believe they found a "weak" point at NORAD, our friendly Caribbean sea and South America. if they can install an air base there, they have a 99.999% chance to hit us.
                Nonsense - NORAD has nothing to do with the Caribbean or South America.

Comment

Go talk to your doctor about being paranoid!!!!

The Russians only have to push the button and launch there ICBM's at us. The net result ---- The end of the world as we would launch a retaliatory strike. As for a base in S. America it is nothing different than the US launching a bomber strike from Anderson AFB in Guam. The only difference is that we have a lot more bombers in Guam than Russia has in Venezuela..

Using a couple of Blackjacks to attack the US would be a stupid move as the US can launch bombers from Guam, the US mainland along with sea launch cruise missiles, Fighters out of Alaska, Europe, Iraq, Korea, and Afghanistan.... in an all out retaliation. Then Russia fires off the ICBM's and we return the favor and the only winners will be the cockroaches!!!!

The Blackjacks in Venezuela are nothing more than an training exercise and a small showing of military muscle. The true fact of the Blackjack is that the Russians dont have the funds to keep them all flying and the crews fully trained.
                  Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                  http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Having non-U.S. ally bases of military operations in the Caribbean and/or South/Central America is not going to raise the probabilities of an attack - it may only diminish the time it takes to strike. I want you to consider a few things first:

- Chavez is making quite a preety prediciment for himself! By being ever so vocal about his anti-U.S. and anti-Democratic views, he is making quite a few enemies very easily. First and foremost - the U.S. is not blind to him, and to the threat that he poses, and they do have allies in the reigon that boarder Venezuela (notably Colombia - but to much more less publicized effect - Trinidad and Tobago, not to mention Guyana). Our focus has been turned to him - his beahavior and his views for quite some time now - but we have not been actively pursuing him b/c we understand that we have bigger, more pressing issues at hand. Simply put - why did we not attack when he procured the Sukhoi aircraft? We understand that he does not have as much political congruency (and as much domestic support) to wage war against the United States, and further - that if he did (without public support) then we would aide native Venezuelans (and the very very influencial ex-patriate community here in the U.S.) in overthrowing him. Right now, we allow him to play dictator - we have other things that are pulling more rapidly for out attention. As for the Russian support that he is garnering - it's intersting in that the aircraft, while decrepit are capable of causing serious Damage and Injury to the United States, but as it was higlighted by another (quite astute) member - any aircraft can do the same to us. We are not stupid - we know how to plan, and we can protect ourselves. I am sure that those aircraft are perhaps some of the most eagerly spotted aircraft in the Western Hemisphere - but they are perhaps just as spotted by U.S. intelligence as the SU's that Cahvez has control of, and/or aircraft owned by Cuba, and/or aircraft owned by drug cartels and/or aircraft used by seperatists.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Russian warships heading to Venezuela:
                      A squadron from the Russian Navy sailed for Venezuela in a bid by Russia to boost military links in Latin America as relations with the United States deteriorate.

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320 View Post
                        Yeah, looks like a towbar.

Personally, I think this is a pathetic joke. Neither the US or Russia would gain anything from going to war with each other, and it would probably be disastrous for both sides. A bunch of arrogant politicians trying to prove theirs is bigger playing with their people's money
                        Basically I agree with you but the discussion compels me to make a few points.

Firstly despite all the hype about the US being the only "Superpower" they still can't prevent Russian Nukes hitting them (anymore than the Russians could stop a US Nuclear attack). So the old cold war principle of MASD (Mutually assured Self Destruction for the youngsters here) still holds true.

This leads to my second point - of course Russia is not planning a war of any sort with the US. Yeah they can wipes the Yanks off the planet if they want but it would be a (national) suicide mission. And obviously 2 unarmed bombers landing at a foreign base (which houses no arms of significance) is a threat to absolutely nobody.

Thirdly the US doesn't really have any weak points in terms of strategic air defence. Sure their defences can be penetrated to an extent but the cost is far beyond what any rational force would tolerate.

Fourthly I wouldn't describe a long range aviation military exercise involving Strategic Bombers as "a pathetic joke". Military personnel benefit from these kind of experiences. The US military have conducted tens of thousand of sorties far away from their home soil and this is perhaps the most important reason why they have the most effective air force in the world. Obviously the remainder of the world's air forces, including Russia's, will also benefit from such experiences. So it is important in the context of their own strategic objectives.

Fifthly - I concur that it is just a towbar!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tsv View Post
                          Fourthly I wouldn't describe a long range aviation military exercise involving Strategic Bombers as "a pathetic joke". Military personnel benefit from these kind of experiences. The US military have conducted tens of thousand of sorties far away from their home soil and this is perhaps the most important reason why they have the most effective air force in the world. Obviously the remainder of the world's air forces, including Russia's, will also benefit from such experiences. So it is important in the context of their own strategic objectives.
                          Yeah, I understand what you are saying. By pathetic joke, I was mostly referring to the whole situation with recent back and forth threats between between the US/Russia/Georgia/Venezuela and muscle flexing on all sides when we all know full well there isn't going to be an large scale war beyond the Georgia/Russia fiasco of August. All good points you make.

Comment

Ok I see what you mean and I agree that the dribble that comes from Politicians mouths is regularly a pathetic joke

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X