Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig 29 question

[photoid=6435812]

A great picture but I note that the air intakes appear to be closed off. Can anyone explain why this would be. I am not an engineer so please excuse my ignorance if this seems like a basic question. (I Know that on Concorde a system is used to restrict the intake of air at supersonic speed but on take off they would be wide open.)

Thanks

Chris

To avoid that the engines suck in stuff lying on the ground. You can see that the doors on top of the fuselage are open to let air in.
    My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
    My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
    ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Hi Stefan,

I have just been Googling this and it seems that you are right on. The M29 has a dual intake system for exactly the purpose you describe. Neat idea.

Thanks.

Comment

You can see MIG-29 in action here:
        http://www.jetvideos.net/video/view.php?id=1386
        MarcoPolo (aviateam.pl)
        http://www.jetvideos.net/showvideos.php?userid=36241

Comment

A great video- great plane.

Comment

Stupid question, but why is there a weapon on the left wing of the Mig but not the right? What sort of tests would they be doing?
            "And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension." Senna, Ayrton.

Comment

Originally posted by KitFrench View Post
              Stupid question, but why is there a weapon on the left wing of the Mig but not the right? What sort of tests would they be doing?
              Could be a CATM (Captive Air Training Missile) Can't see the band on to tell if live or a CATM.

In any case, if it is a CATM, to carry two really only serves the purpose of "looking cool". CATM's aren't cheap. If there is a rack malfunction, and lose one that's a lot of money down the drain for "looking cool" P-3's actually did this when they started carrying the AGM-65. They'd hang one on each wing. A plane was out on a training flight. Can't remember the exact cause, but upon landing, something in the wiring malfunctioned, as the airplane touched down, both CATM were dropped on the runway. Both were losses. Where if they were only carrying one like now, would have only lost one and obviously the cost of the mishap would have been cut in half.
              -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
              -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Originally posted by P3_Super_Bee View Post
                Could be a CATM (Captive Air Training Missile) Can't see the band on to tell if live or a CATM.

In any case, if it is a CATM, to carry two really only serves the purpose of "looking cool". CATM's aren't cheap. If there is a rack malfunction, and lose one that's a lot of money down the drain for "looking cool" P-3's actually did this when they started carrying the AGM-65. They'd hang one on each wing. A plane was out on a training flight. Can't remember the exact cause, but upon landing, something in the wiring malfunctioned, as the airplane touched down, both CATM were dropped on the runway. Both were losses. Where if they were only carrying one like now, would have only lost one and obviously the cost of the mishap would have been cut in half.
                Aaah OK. Thanks for the explanation.
                "And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension." Senna, Ayrton.

Comment

Originally posted by KitFrench View Post
                  Might not be a weapon - looks more like an Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) pod.

Comment

Well to me it looks like this a test missile for the student of this Mig-29UB!!

Comment

Working...
                    X