97 Dead in C-130 Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Dead in C-130 Crash

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) At least 68 people are dead following the crash of a military plane on the Indonesian island of Java.

Air force official Suyono says he expects the death toll to rise following Wednesday morning's crash. Suyono goes by only one name.

Air force spokesman Bambang Sulistyo said the C-130 Hercules was carrying at least 112 passengers and crew. It was on a routine training mission when it crashed near the base in East Java province, smashing into houses and then skidding into a rice field and bursting into flames.

Indonesian television flashed footage of fire engulfing the wreckage and soldiers carrying bodies on stretchers.

Witnesses said many of the victims were badly burned.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...TiPcAD989MUL80

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
    JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP)

Air force spokesman Bambang Sulistyo said the C-130 Hercules was carrying at least 112 passengers and crew. It was on a routine training mission when it crashed near the base in East Java province, smashing into houses and then skidding into a rice field and bursting into flames.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...TiPcAD989MUL80
    This is a routine training mission?????

Comment

German radio news (0500 am local) say that maybe more than 68 people died on this flight. ...only 112 souls on board, so how many finally survive?
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2009-05-20, 03:26. Reason: 2 sources say 68 fatalities
      That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
        German radio news (0500 am local) say that maybe more than 68 people died on this flight. ...only 112 souls on board, so how many finally survive?

I suppose it all comes down to simple math...

Comment

Originally posted by IntheShade View Post
          I suppose it all comes down to simple math...
          yes.. d+mn you shouldn't make me laughin in a thread like this.. a maths problem... , if the people in the houses are lucky where the Hercules crashed into.. and if not many people die in hospital from skin burn.. then its only mathematic. But I don't know much about the crash.. somewhere I read that the aircraft burned.
          ..couldn't be that cosy, 112 people in a burning machine.. a military machine on a scheduled flight to Jakarta? (rather not?)
          That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20090520-0
            Says 98 onboard and 2 on the ground has died in this crash...
            Deadliest Hercules crash ever.
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Comment

Two large explosions onboard where reported by eyewitnesses afterwards the plane started to wobble and dived into the ground.
                "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
                X