Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space shuttle landings.

Hello all,
    Does anyone have any info as to if it is possible to view a space shuttle landing from outside the Kennedy Space Complex?

Originally posted by Richard M. A. Wood View Post
    Hello all,
    Does anyone have any info as to if it is possible to view a space shuttle landing from outside the Kennedy Space Complex?
    My recollection from visiting was about a zillion acres of trees running for a few miles and no lateral visibiltiy of the runway......Those launch towers and buildings stick up pretty good, but I don't think you can catch the shuttle flaring unless you are on the premisis.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I can't give you an answer re KSC but I saw an Orbiter land at EAFB quite a few years ago from the road that cuts thru the base East of the runway. This road may no longer be open to the general public.

What was impressive was the loud double bang and how quickly it went from being a dot in the sky to being on the ground. No drag parachute was used at the time I saw the orbiter land.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        What was impressive was the loud double bang and how quickly it went from being a dot in the sky to being on the ground. No drag parachute was used at the time I saw the orbiter land.
        Not surprised it didn't take long to go from being a speck to on the ground - the shuttles apparently glide like a brick. Many years ago I recall seeing a doco on the training of shuttle pilots - to simulate the rate of decent in training they flew a modified bizjet that alowed the thrust reversers to deploy in flight. This was sufficient to replicate the rate of decent.

Comment

Working...
        X