X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KC-X is back on

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...0&cck=1&au=&ck=
    Any views on this Verbal?

Airbus have no chance irrespective of their offered product. The chance for an impartial tender separate of national lines died in the previous contest.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by APS View Post
      Airbus have no chance irrespective of their offered product. The chance for an impartial tender separate of national lines died in the previous contest.
      I'm not so sure this time. The minimum requirements for the centre-line refuelling unit is far higher than Boeing can produce at the moment.
      One thing for sure though, it's going to get dirty.

Comment

It just makes me laugh that, essentially, Boeing's entire case last time rested on the premise that it was unfair of the US Air Force to consider the Airbus/NG aeroplane as better than the 767 because Boeing submitted what it thought would meet the minimum requirements and not their best product.

In other words, their answer to the tender was not the best they could make it, but simply what they thought would bring the money in.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hilton View Post
          One thing for sure though, it's going to get dirty.
          Its getting downright treasonous if you ask me. We are years behind on delivering the capabilities our forces need and the fact that this is going to go through a 3rd complete procurement cycle (well technically second) is just wrong. It is hard for me to say this (being a procurement professional myself) but just award the thing to Boeing ASAP and get stop the dog and pony show.
          Proudly serving WTF comments since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
            Its getting downright treasonous if you ask me. We are years behind on delivering the capabilities our forces need and the fact that this is going to go through a 3rd complete procurement cycle (well technically second) is just wrong. It is hard for me to say this (being a procurement professional myself) but just award the thing to Gippsland Aeronautics ASAP and get stop the dog and pony show.
            Fixed

Comment

I for sure think the whole thing is going to be a shower of ***t

Boeing have shown in 2x previous episodes that they can't cut it, so they are giving them another bite at the cherry. Fair??? this is defence procurement so anything goes i suppose.
              The Airbus/Northrop tender is going to have it tough but i think they knew that when they entered into the fray!
              Boeing can state their bid secure many jobs within the U.S but hey Airbus/Northrop will do exactly the same in fact i think the people in Mobile will welcome the investment in their neck of the woods.

Let battle commence!!

Comment

This is going to be a nice competition. Ding Ding....fight!

Quite frankly, I still think Airbus, with the help of Northrop, will the competition, again. You look at the military side of things between Boeing and Northrop, Northrop is kicking Boeing @&&!!!!!!!! from the F-22 and JSF competition victories. Boeing I've seen have just not been able to compete with Northrop and now Boeing is trying to get into the UAV market and I don't think that will be successful. Boeing has to first fix their own problems within, especially with their commercial division (787), and hopefully be prepared with alternatives and better products.
                what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
                  Northrop is kicking Boeing @&&!!!!!!!! from the F-22 and JSF competition victories..
                  Where oh where did you get that info?

The F-22 is a joint Lockheed-Martin/Boeing project

The F-35 is lead by Lockheed-Martin with Northrop and BAE Systems as major partners.
                  -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                  -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Well my bad, thanks for the correction, Boeing did lose in the jsf competition, but the point I'm trying to get out there is that Boeing could have done much more when it came to the last kc-x competition by meeting just the minimum requirements. It's just that Airbus/Northrop have a better product in the A330, not a large as a 777, but bigger than the 767.
                    what ever happens......happens

Comment

Split buy?

I forcast on a split buy with quantities to be apportioned each year based on cost.

If I was writing the KC-X requirements I would like to see a much commonality commonality as possible with other USAF aircraft for AFE spares and GSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hilton View Post
                        Any views on this Verbal?
                        I wouldn't dare wade through that document without a pot of black coffee close at hand.

Boeing will reduce the perceived risk by sticking with an established airframe. My guess is they will bid either the 767-300F or the 777-200F. The 747-8I program is actually ahead of its current schedule, so next year Boeing should have ample engineering resources available to work on a tanker program, should they win the bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                          I forcast on a split buy with quantities to be apportioned each year based on cost.

If I was writing the KC-X requirements I would like to see a much commonality commonality as possible with other USAF aircraft for AFE spares and GSE.
                          So that just leaves the KC-Y and KC-Z to sort out.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal View Post

The 747-8I program is actually ahead of its current schedule, so next year Boeing should have ample engineering resources available to work on a tanker program, should they win the bid.

IS IT ????

Boeing have now announced delays in first flight and delivery for the 747-8I

Comment

Originally posted by landing-gear View Post
                              Boeing have now announced delays in first flight and delivery for the 747-8I
                              You mean the 747-8F.

The design of the 747-8I is ahead of schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X