Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying mysterious aircraft sighting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying mysterious aircraft sighting..

Hi,

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. About 4 years ago, I was jogging near my home in Suffolk County, Long Island. It was night time and I saw what I initially thought was a helicopter with a large spotlight, about two miles from me. This is pretty common around where I live, so initially I thought nothing of it.

The only thing that caught my attention is that as it got closer, there was absolutely no noise. As I jogged further, I noticed that the aircraft began to get closer to me... It's search light was panning a strip of wooded area that separates the center of the blocks in my development (large power lines run for miles - the strips are not developed due to restrictions on high voltage power lines).

As it got closer, it became apparent that it definitely wasn't a helicopter. I turned around and began to jog toward the aircraft in an effort to see what exactly was going on. I stood around for a minute and watched it fly almost directly above me (the pilot even spotlighted me - probably inadvertently). It was very dark, and I don't have a knowledge of planes, but it was definitely a military style / jet fighter looking wing design. If I were to guess, it was moving very slowly as it passed me. It took about 10-15 seconds to get from one pole to the next, which I could easily do in my car. It was only about 300-400 feet up, as it was above the very high power lines but still pretty big to my eyes. It felt like I could almost throw a rock at it and hit it, although that may have been an optical illusion if the place was bigger than my eyes thought it was.

There was almost no noise, and all I heard was a loud hum. Now keep in mind that this is in a residential neighborhood, at night. The noise was so low that no one came out of their houses, and the people inside probably wouldn't have heard anything.

Now, ever since that day I was convinced that I saw a "harrier jet"... but I recently told one of my friends this story and they didn't believe me. They said Harrier jets are extremely noisy. He also said its an extremely dangerous thing to be doing for no good reason. I've googled it, and apparently this is true - they are loud and hovering/low speed flight is extremely dangerous even for skilled pilots. Are there any other planes that could fly at this speed - slow enough to search for things with a spotlight? Any idea what this might be?

PS: we used to have grumman near where I live, and their airfield is supposed to be inactive... but when I went skydiving near there, it looked like there were still some things going on there. Could this be a new type of craft that was being developed?

Originally posted by AgentSmith View Post
    Hi,

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. About 4 years ago, I was jogging near my home in Suffolk County, Long Island. It was night time and I saw what I initially thought was a helicopter with a large spotlight, about two miles from me. This is pretty common around where I live, so initially I thought nothing of it.

The only thing that caught my attention is that as it got closer, there was absolutely no noise. As I jogged further, I noticed that the aircraft began to get closer to me... It's search light was panning a strip of wooded area that separates the center of the blocks in my development (large power lines run for miles - the strips are not developed due to restrictions on high voltage power lines).

As it got closer, it became apparent that it definitely wasn't a helicopter. I turned around and began to jog toward the aircraft in an effort to see what exactly was going on. I stood around for a minute and watched it fly almost directly above me (the pilot even spotlighted me - probably inadvertently). It was very dark, and I don't have a knowledge of planes, but it was definitely a military style / jet fighter looking wing design. If I were to guess, it was moving very slowly as it passed me. It took about 10-15 seconds to get from one pole to the next, which I could easily do in my car. It was only about 300-400 feet up, as it was above the very high power lines but still pretty big to my eyes. It felt like I could almost throw a rock at it and hit it, although that may have been an optical illusion if the place was bigger than my eyes thought it was.

There was almost no noise, and all I heard was a loud hum. Now keep in mind that this is in a residential neighborhood, at night. The noise was so low that no one came out of their houses, and the people inside probably wouldn't have heard anything.

Now, ever since that day I was convinced that I saw a "harrier jet"... but I recently told one of my friends this story and they didn't believe me. They said Harrier jets are extremely noisy. He also said its an extremely dangerous thing to be doing for no good reason. I've googled it, and apparently this is true - they are loud and hovering/low speed flight is extremely dangerous even for skilled pilots. Are there any other planes that could fly at this speed - slow enough to search for things with a spotlight? Any idea what this might be?

PS: we used to have grumman near where I live, and their airfield is supposed to be inactive... but when I went skydiving near there, it looked like there were still some things going on there. Could this be a new type of craft that was being developed?
    UFO!!!!And by the way ATFS_crash,it could possibly be a government project,not your story,but this one.Ever heard of the Nazi "Bell"?
    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

I take no offense, but that reply sort of assumes I'm a complete idiot (which can be understandable). I know it was a plane. I saw it, it passed almost directly overhead. It was low enough to completely see the shape of it clear as day, but due to the lighting conditions I couldn't read anything written on it.

It was in no way a balloon or RC plane. The thing had to have been pretty damned big to be that high up and still be the size it was. It was a jet of some kind.

I do admit I can't know its speed, but it was slow enough to have and use a spot light on the front of its nose cone... Surely that must limit the possible number of planes. How many planes have the capability of going slow enough to use such a thing and pan/scan for things on the ground? Its probably a short list, and I'm guessing even fewer come equipped with that type of equipment. It has to be limited to a set of planes that can either hover or move at a very low speed without stalling.

Surely someone who has a good knowledge of military aircraft could use process of elimination and come up with a very short list... no?

Comment

Oh, and in regards to the noise, it wasn't like its completely silent... just relatively speaking. We have commercial airliners pass over our house en-route to our local airport... Those things are loud, and are usually really high up... You hear a roar, look up, and there are these little blinking lights in the sky. This was really low, and it wasn't anywhere close to what I would've expected. It wasn't silent, but considering the height it was really low. Just a loud crackly hum (white noise sounding).

It still made a bit of noise, it just wasn't anywhere close to 747 on final approach loud. Some times that stuff is deafening. As I said last time, if I was in my house, with my tv on, I wouldn't of noticed it. The same can definitely not be said of most commercial flights a mile up. If I wouldn't of seen the plane and it didn't look so massively big from my perspective, I would've thought it was pretty far away.

Comment

The only aircraft that comes to mind is the CV-22 Osprey.
          Check it out on the net, see if it matches...
          The rotor blades could have some sort of silencer on them (doubtful) or an unusual sound effect was occuring at the time.

Comment

That Osprey is a wild looking plane. Very cool, but that looks very different.

My memory of the incident is not as sharp as it used to be, but as far as looks go, the underbelly looked pretty generic. From pictures, the wing and tail fin desing was closer to the designs of the AV-8B harrier or f-16. Nothing funky looking like the SAAB JAS 39, X-32 or other less normal looking aircraft. I suppose I can throw the F-35 into the mix, since its bottom view profile is rather plain looking as well, but I've read that it is an even loud aircraft.

A side question: since the plane was not quite hovering, and still moving forward at a slow but steady rate, is it possible that it wouldn't be as loud as it would have been if it was completely hovering? I don't know much about the physics of it, but I would imagine the forward motion would provide some extra loft, and the engines wouldn't work as hard. Maybe if it was on a slow descent as well, there would've been addition loft?

Comment

Have you considered a plane shaped airship, ive seen one shaped like a car before so it could well be the case that someone has built an RC one in the shape of an aircraft and goes around flying it at night, unlikely but still possible. I too have seen several strange events that i am yet to and probably will never explain. One such one happened walking home drunk with several other people that all saw the same thing. It was like a rocket taking off but silent and slowly after climbing quickly it disappeared. A few months after this i saw the same orange orb shaped light flying horizontally and just missed catching it on Camera after doing a long exposure shot of an Emirates 777 landing here at Manchester. This time i wasnt drunk. There was also another event when i was a kid but the details of this one have become sketchy at best and even i doubt what i saw.

Comment

I have never seen anything that resembles what you describe (RC airship), so I can't really make a determination on whether that is a possibility or not. It would have to have been pretty big though... My HV power lines look about 250-300 feet high, and the plane was around twice that height as best as I can tell... and still looked pretty big. As far as I could tell, all the edges looked straight (not bumpy or inflated). There wasn't much illumination on it other than a few bottom lights and some ambient light, but I didn't see anything that gave me the impression that it wasn't a real jet.

I guess you are right though, I will probably never know. I just figured someone might have seen something of this nature before, or maybe even heard of something like this... I'm guessing that if this sort of thing is possible with a real plane, it doesn't happen very often. Really, what is the point of a spotlight on a plane anyway?

Comment

The RC airship isn't a bad guess...Theres always the possibility...Yeah alright i won't go there.
                  I have had an experience that allowed me to "know" what i'd do and think if i saw a real alien craft. I went walking to the shops at night and spotted this light in the sky...There were eight lights, about the size of a commercial aircraft's windows, except they seem to be rotating, like party lights look like they are going in a particular direction. The light was travelilng very slowly, so thought that it must be a copter. But then it did loops in the sky aswell as pulling some wierd "Split Ars#d" manouvers!
                  After running every possible scenerio i could only conclude that this was an alien craft!
                  Not surprisingly i stayed outside and watched this craft. After about twenty minutes, i realised it was making almost a straight B-line for me! (I'm thinking they telepathically picked up on me at this stage) - (i know what a gullible nerd!) it was about 500m from me when i started to hear the engine noise. Feeling relieved i looked up to see a tiger moth with a light board on the underside of the bottom wing...It read: "Even Aliens like Aeroplane Jelly!" Probably the most sucked in i've ever felt in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
                    UFO!!!!And by the way ATFS_crash,it could possibly be a government project,not your story,but this one.Ever heard of the Nazi "Bell"?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke#Video_Games
                    The last time I've seen flying saucers was, when my wife caught me in the act with this long-legged blonde... then in my head there was a very large bell.

Nazi-rubbish...I don't understand why people are fascinated of their mysteries, mysterious weapons or conspiracy theories about this. The Bell or the gun you coud shoot around corners with it.... rubbish. Or the very special parachute-donkey, which was trained to jump out a plane.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                    www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by DAIRD View Post
                      The last time I've seen flying saucers was, when my wife caught me in the act with this long-legged blonde... then in my head there was a very large bell.

Nazi-rubbish...I don't understand why people are fascinated of their mysteries, mysterious weapons or conspiracy theories about this. The Bell or the gun you coud shoot around corners with it.... rubbish. Or the very special parachute-donkey, which was trained to jump out a plane.
                      On the whole I agree - the german engineers and scientists were very talented, but people seem to attribute mystical powers to them. That and that whole "aliens gave them advance technology" BS.

However, they did develop, produce and issue the round the corner gun:

Comment

That gun is fantastic and it makes you wonder why no modern equivalent has ever been developed. Would certainly prove useful in modern warfare as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
                          That gun is fantastic and it makes you wonder why no modern equivalent has ever been developed. Would certainly prove useful in modern warfare as well.
                          It has been developed... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C0FQPk5mv0
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
                            On the whole I agree - the german engineers and scientists were very talented, but people seem to attribute mystical powers to them. That and that whole "aliens gave them advance technology" BS.

However, they did develop, produce and issue the round the corner gun:

http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.988
                            No wonder we lost the war.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                            www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by DAIRD View Post
                              No wonder we lost the war.
                              I love how the germans admit their mistakes but the Japenese still deny their war crimes,like the Rape of Nanking. read this particular article.
                              August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X