Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20mm Gatling for WW2 Tail Gunners

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
    Are you crazy!!!Before Britain and America liberated france the german pilots would sometimes follow the bomber stream back over the channel!!Some bombers would retract the bottom ball turret,and then bf-109s or 110s or whatever would attack from below.Just because they reached the target doesnt mean fighters are gonna stop attacking.
    - Yes. Yes, i am crazy, but thats beside the point.

    Yeah you are right BK. I keep making small points and not explaining myself properly (to keep it brief).
    It depends what time of the war one is talking AND the route taken home (depending on the initial target.) Plus what top cover they did or didn't have. The ammo dump idea was just a throw away comment anyway.

    Just because they reached the target doesnt mean fighters are gonna stop attacking.

    - But does mean the mission has been successful. They fly to Germany for the US, they go home for themselves! (Bad quote, but you get the picture.)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
      Are you crazy!!!Before Britain and America liberated france the german pilots would sometimes follow the bomber stream back over the channel!!Some bombers would retract the bottom ball turret,and then bf-109s or 110s or whatever would attack from below.Just because they reached the target doesnt mean fighters are gonna stop attacking.
      Indeed and as quite a few Bomber Command pilots found german night fighters would follow the bomber formations home and open fire when the aircraft were in the landing pattern or even on final approach. Bummer.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
        Indeed and as quite a few Bomber Command pilots found german night fighters would follow the bomber formations home and open fire when the aircraft were in the landing pattern or even on final approach. Bummer.
        They tried a lot of tricks. Bombing the US-bombers with barometric fused bombs, radar guided night operations with use of 20mm (and even 30mm) guns firing in an angle of 70 upwards, shooting down a lot of RAF bombers (their crews believed to be shot by anti-air guns).
        While the slanting guns proved very effective in 1943/44, throwing bombs was stopped after a while, because they had the nasty habit of falling down and exploding to late or even on the ground, while the Luftwaffe pilots had to fly the their heavy overloaden Me-109 above the bombers and giving gunners a good target.


        get FRA spotting informations here:
        www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

        Comment


        • #19
          Yeah,the He-219 Uhu(I think thats what its called)and the Ki-45 used that feature.
          August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

          Comment


          • #20
            Called Schrage musik, this system was mainly used on Bf-110 and Ju-88. It was also tried on the Do-217 and you are right the He-219, but the Heinkel saw very little combat action with it, if any...

            Alex

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
              Called Schrage musik, this system was mainly used on Bf-110 and Ju-88. It was also tried on the Do-217 and you are right the He-219, but the Heinkel saw very little combat action with it, if any...

              Alex
              - The Uhu (Owl) did have Schrage Musik and its own radar, used to hunt at night on Wild Sow missions.
              Also had an ejection seat/s. - Different thread.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
                you are right the He-219, but the Heinkel saw very little combat action with it, if any...

                Alex
                It didnt get much service but it was a very good heavy night fighter.on its first nigh in combat a single pre-production 219 slipped into the british heavy bomber stream and downed 5-4 engined bombers in 30 minutes.It also had the first combat ejection.
                August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

                Comment

                Working...
                X