No announcement yet.

Boeing awarded $35 billion dollar tanker order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's only the fastest because the Europeans limit theirs to 155 mph.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I remember seeing pics of the early Lincolns and Caddys roaring across Mexico, balls to the wall racing on the road. V-12 and V-16 motors. These cars too have a ton of history prior to the tailfin era. I believe this was the Pan America series that ran 2000 miles border to border in the 1950's.
      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

This debate is interesting, and flawed. I was intitially an Airbus fan for this competition - more fuel/greater offload/roughly equivalent price - what's not to like? Add that to the fact that more countries have chosen the Airbus product over the Boeing and that may make people scratch their head when viewed in isolation.

But, you cannot do that in the case of the USAF - clearly the requirements on ramp space etc were more compelling than extra fuel - why? Because of the KC-10 - and its replacement KC-Y or is it Z (one of these is a planned follow-on buy the other is the KC-10 replacement)

The US has bought a Camry, because it needs a Camry - it already has a Hummer, and will buy a Hummer replacement in the future.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad they reached a decision and that the decision will be better in nearly every respect than the aircraft it is replacing.

Comment

There are some cars from England that I would love to own and have chased them on a few occasions.

A TVR with the Ford 289 or the Buick V6 or even a Triumph or Cortina version would be fine.

A E jag with a 1966 Pontiac twin ohc 6 cylinder for power.

Comment

This debate is a little old, but anyway. I read somewhere the AF wanted the Airbus, they chose the Airbus, but the Pentagon forced the decision in favor of the 767, possibly for political reasons. There was a huge corruption scandal involving Boeing before the competition was started. Then there was widespread outrage when Airbus won it, because Airbus is European. That's the information I have. I personally don't think either plane is bad.
            As for cars, the new Caddies are a breath of fresh air in today's reality of the US auto industry. However, in international motorsports, European brands dominate, be it rallying, Formula 1, or endurance races like The 24hrs of Le Mans, 24hrs of Nurburgring (where from a pool of 200 cars, some very expensive, you could get a Golf or Scirocco in the top 10). I think the European philosophy for cars is about offering the best performance in motorsports, while for everyday cars they put a lot of emphasis on practicality, design, style, comfort, joy of driving, sometimes fuel efficiency. Exactly the opposite for me is the Japanese philosophy. For example, the Subaru WRX, which offers great performance, is based a rally car, which actually got its butt kicked in the WRC consistently for the past 7(?) years, so they concentrated on the street car, eventually withdrawing from the WRC.

Comment

And the subbies have been plagued by reliability woes.

The Corvette "Z" (pick one), can be driven all day in comfort and start every day. And for very little money.

There is a reason Luigi Chinetti would not sell you a new Ferrari without owning at least one used Ferrari first. They are fast and fun but how often and long do they run. They don't want someone with sour grapes on their doorstep who actually expected to use the car. Some of the "250" series of the 1960's were tough as nails .. back then. Porsche? You pay the bills.

If you have never lived with or somehow spent time with a Corvette I really do not want to hear what you have read in AutoWeak.

Jeremy Clarkson is a funny guy. He was right about the sun visors, they are horrid and out of a Vega or something. Buy good sunglasses.

What is the point? They limit it ... and? And my Saab with the (till a month or so), has the most horsepower of any Saab built. Yeah and it's a Caddy motor made in Australia by GM. And?

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy View Post
                It's only the fastest because the Europeans limit theirs to 155 mph.
                Actually...it's the Germans who limit to 155, not all of Europe. In the UK we have the Vauxhall VXR8 which is good for 170+ mph. True it comes supplied in limited form but there is nothing to stop UK owners re-chipping it to its maximum specification.

The Cadillac to 190mph !!....weighing 4.2 metric tonnes!!....... Oh s**t !! I do hope those fancy Brembo brakes never have a problem or it's smoking hole in the scenery time. Yank motors might be quick in a straight line but I have yet to find one that actually handles in a corner. And the Corvette ??!! I've driven one on a race circuit track day. It was crap. Solid axle and leaf springs for Christ sake ! Hey America, it's the 21st Century in case you hadn't noticed.

....all of which has got absolutely NOTHING to do with the US tanker contract !!
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian baits the trap and will Guam sniff the cheese or nibble?

True, the 1954 Corvette was no match for the Jaguar.

My Lord, what year car was that? The early cars were known to be axle trampers. My guess would be like perhaps 1960?

Black Ram mentions Nurburgring and when Chevy tested the ZR Blue Devil, they took it out of the shipping container and ran three laps with a hired Dutch driver behind the wheel. No prep and on street tires it came within a proverbial hair of the Porsche RSR on race rubber. The Corvette was in stock trim on street tires. Three laps and back in the box.

Comment

True, haven't driven a Corvette. I have heard it's the best in cornering from all American cars. However, I would probably pick a Caddie, it looks more up-to-date and has that premium look and feel (wouldn't really push it to 190, though).
                    Tests at Nurburgring are cool, but come race day and Porsche rules, though BMW won last year.
                    If I was to buy an expensive car, I would pick a Porsche. Has a lot of features, is very practical and the interior is awesome. Great quality, also reliability. Ferraris are very cool, but the maintenance costs go up the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Actually...it's the Germans who limit to 155, not all of Europe. In the UK we have the Vauxhall VXR8 which is good for 170+ mph. True it comes supplied in limited form but there is nothing to stop UK owners re-chipping it to its maximum specification.

The Cadillac to 190mph !!....weighing 4.2 metric tonnes!!....... Oh s**t !! I do hope those fancy Brembo brakes never have a problem or it's smoking hole in the scenery time. Yank motors might be quick in a straight line but I have yet to find one that actually handles in a corner. And the Corvette ??!! I've driven one on a race circuit track day. It was crap. Solid axle and leaf springs for Christ sake ! Hey America, it's the 21st Century in case you hadn't noticed.

....all of which has got absolutely NOTHING to do with the US tanker contract !!
                      Vauxhall VXR8 proudly made in Australia...UK supplied badges.

Comment

Working...
                      X