Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianw999
    replied
    By George....I think i did it ? Wonders will never cease.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Certainly can merge threads. On an iPad right now, I'll see if I can do it without screwing it up.

Leave a comment:

• elaw
    replied
    Brian,

Do you have any way of merging the two threads?

I imagine there's going to be a lot of discussion about this and it would stink to have it split between two threads.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    Why in the military aviation forum?
    There is another thread in the aviation safety forum.
    Either or really. The craft is designed to go into space so this would be the most appropriate forum. More important really about all this is that another person has lost their life advancing the bounds of aviation.

Leave a comment:

• Alessandro
    replied
    With SS1 they did everything right, with SS2 the opposite, 4th death of the project.
    The increase in wieght and length is great between the two projects, but the wingspan is less than a foot apart!

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    Kind of a coin toss since it was an edge of space vehicle being released by a conventional aircraft. In the end it should probably be in the space section but as a commercial venture that would book common passengers some coverage in the safety forum seems appropriate too.

Leave a comment:

• Highkeas
    replied
    Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
    It looks like the engine continued on unless that is a smudge or distortion,

I wonder what the bail out routine is for that ship? It looks like there are plenty of surfaces to contact with and I have to wonder if the PF kept it stable allowing his associate to get out by providing the proper angle for safe egress?
    In Aviation Week some time ago it was stated that the nose of the vehicle is jettisoned allowing for a manual bail out. I will see if I can find the article.

Since one person remained in the vehicle it is possible that the explosion impaired him sufficiently to prevent his bail out.

One pilot survived so his report may be a big help to the failure investigation.

Leave a comment:

• hongmng
    replied
    Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
    I opened this thread first. This is the Military and Space forum. Virgin Galactic is a spaceship.
    Hi AVION1, looking at the time posted, you did post this first. I am sorry I missed it(I usually look at the safety forum and completely forgot about this one).

Mods, what category should this be? It is non-military/civilian/commercial/ aircraft and had an accident(which usually means the safety forum), but also related to space...?

Leave a comment:

• AVION1
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    I opened this thread first. This is the Military and Space forum. Virgin Galactic is a spaceship.

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    It looks like the engine continued on unless that is a smudge or distortion,

I wonder what the bail out routine is for that ship? It looks like there are plenty of surfaces to contact with and I have to wonder if the PF kept it stable allowing his associate to get out by providing the proper angle for safe egress?

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Reportedly, the cause was the explosion of the rocket engine.

Leave a comment:

• sjwk
    replied
    Posted by NBC on twitter:

source tweet: https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/s...938816/photo/1

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    In 2007 three employees were killed on the ground when a tank of nitrous oxide exploded.

Leave a comment:

• hongmng
    replied
    Is this the first flight fatality of Virgin Group? As I do not recall any Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America, Virgin Australia, etc fatal crashes.

RIP the pilot

Leave a comment:

Working...
X