Problem w/email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem w/email

Today, while checking my Yahoo email, I found two emails that had been returned to me with a message saying that they had been sent to invalid names or could not go through. The problem is, I never sent, or even typed up those emails, and I don't know any of the email addresses that they were sent to. It appears that an attempt was made to email a file through my name also. If needed, I could post the messages I received (I'm not sure what much of it means). How is it possible for messages that I know nothing about to be sent from my email address??

Thanks in advance...
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Someone has stolen your password and screen name, so someplace on your computer you have a file that allows people to steal those. If you have downloaded music or something like that, or opened an email you did not know then it was put in there that way. Most of these are Trojan horse, I had the same problem with AOL and all before. I suggest you get a complete internet security and then change your Yahoo password.

Comment

There is also a virus going round that will spoof a 'returned email'. If there's an attachment, leave it well alone.
      I walked across an empty land
      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
      I felt the earth beneath my feet
      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Thanks for the info...

The name that sent the emails back to me looked legit (Mail Delivery Subsystem" <[email protected]>).

The odd thing is that I can't find a copy of the sent emails in my outbox. Also, I just found a third email returned to me that I know I did not send.

The emails are as follows:

Email 1
        Subject: Re: Your archive
        File attached: your_archive.pif
        Message: TVqQAAMAAeAEgAAA//8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAA
        AAAAAAAAuAAAAKvnXsbvhjCV74Ywle+GMV44YwlQeZOpX2hjCV74YxlbiGMJVsjm2V
        4oYwlQeZO5XqhjCVV4A2le6GMJVSaWNoYwlQAAAAAAAAAAQ29tcHJlc3NlZCBieSBQZXRp

(It goes on and on)

Reason it was sent back:
        This message has been rejected because it has
        a potentially executable attachment "your_archive.pif"
        This form of attachment has been used by
        recent viruses or other malware.
        If you meant to send this file then please
        package it up as a zip file and resend it.

The other two are nearly the same.

It looks like someone or some program may be attempting to send viruses through my name. Three have come back-I'm just worried about how many went through. I am in the process of changing my password at this very moment.

Thanks again...
        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Yup, thats the virus. No emails were actually sent to anyone from you, so don't worry about that. It just pretends to be a returned email to pique your curiosity.

Comment

Nice to see you again Jess ... Where ya been?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
              Nice to see you again Jess ... Where ya been?

Adam
              I had been wondering the same thing. Nice to see you back Jess. So what has been taking up all your time? Have you taken a course that requires intensive study, or is there a new man in your life taking up all your free time?

Comment

I had some of these too int he past... but I've learned form mistakes and know...

NEVER OPEN AN E-MAIL UNLESS YOU KNOW WHO IT'S FROM

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino
                  Yup, thats the virus. No emails were actually sent to anyone from you, so don't worry about that. It just pretends to be a returned email to pique your curiosity.
                  Ok, good. Does it matter that I changed my password, or will the virus continue to "fake" emails even though it was changed?

Comment

Your password will make no difference. It will keep doing it. The virus probably isn't even on your system. Sit tight and they emails will stop in time, but make sure your virus checker is up to date all the same!

As for where I have been, have had a busy end of term at uni, then went off for a weeks skiing with a friend! And no, no man keeping me busy Nice to be back!

Comment

Your password will make no difference. It will keep doing it. The virus probably isn't even on your system. Sit tight and they emails will stop in time, but make sure your virus checker is up to date all the same!

As for where I have been, have had a busy end of term at uni, then went off for a weeks skiing with a friend! And no, no man keeping me busy Nice to be back!
                      Great, thanks for the info.

Comment

...And no, no man keeping me busy Nice to be back!
                        This gives me reason to have serious doubts about the judgement of the men attending Cambridge.

Comment

Make sure to check the subject and deleted right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightdogg
                            ...And no, no man keeping me busy Nice to be back!
                            This gives me reason to have serious doubts about the judgement of the men attending Cambridge.
                            My father was used to study at Cambridge in around 1970.

Comment

oh some of you guys make me laugh ...

NETSKY (a virus) emails itself to others using a SPOOFED from address .. so there certainly was an email that did go to the server you got a response from.. but YOU didn't send it.

and hey ... now is the time to be like 90% of the idiots I work with .. you need to ignore my industry experience and the fact that I manage the call centre and you have to respond back with something similar to "that can't be right because my idiot non IT friend told me I had a virus".

ADG
                              ADG
                              No makeovers please .....

Comment

Working...
                              X