SARS at HK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SARS at HK?

I'm not sure if I'm going back to Hong Kong on this summer because of SARS.

As far as I heard scientists have now located SARS to be bacteriologial. Therefore they should know in a couple of weeks how to cure it. As a start, anti-biotics may help. I do not believe that SARS will be a long-lasting problem. I guess you can safely plan your trip for the summer.

Regards,
    Peter

Comment

SARS... and HKSAR! Well..
      Peter is right. It is curable, and the chance is over 90%. Those who died was mostly because he/she had some other serious illness like kidney problem and made the body resistance works worse. If you're healthy enough now and get enough precautions, it will be fine. I don't know about Singapore's cases though, 2 died. The main problem is that we just don't have an effective way to stop the disease spreading. At first in early march there was only one professor from the mainland got it. Then, in a month, till yesterday, 425.. Now school halts, patients' families are not allowed to go out, and lots of flights are cancelled!
      Anyway, if you're coming in Summer, just get enough precautions and come!

Comment

Firstly, SARS is not bacteriological. It is caused by a virus, which was identified by American scientists working in collaboration with scientists from the Hong Kong University. The virus comes from the corona virus family, which is also responsible for causing the common cold. Hence the disease is no longer called SARS; it is called Corona Virus Pneumonia (CVP).

Secondly, there is no cure for it. Yes, after the identification of the virus, it has become much easier for the doctors to diagnose the disease at an early stage, which will help in treatment, but not cure. Since it is caused by a virus, it just has to work itself out of the body. What the doctors can do, owever, is prevent if from leading to complications, and hence speed up recovery. The number of fatalities due to CVP have gone down because of this identification.

thirdly, on a side note, masks are ineffective, unless the person who has the disease is wearing the mask. For example, if you are wearing a mask, but the person sitting next to you is not, and he happens to have CVP, then you will get CVP. The masks will not do anything there. But if he is wearing a mask, then irrespective of whether you are wearing a mask or not, you most probably will not get it.

BTW - all schools are closed for one week. I'm so happy.
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Masks, if you wear it properly, it does keep about 70% of the particles coming in, it does at least make some use.

Comment

It seems I have to correct myself, SARS is really based on a virus, the same as is causing our common colds. I tought I heard of a bacteriological cause, but have heard the virus story, too. If a disease is caused by a virus, then anti-biotics will not help at all. As Indian Airlines correctly said, the virus will have to leave your body in a natural way.

I am not aware how effective such masks can be, but if they hold off 70% of all particles, then at least the chance to get it is 70% lower.

Regards,
            Peter

Comment

Maska are effective until they get damp. Oce they get damp, they become absolutely useless. And with the humidity in Hong Kong......
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Yay, school's closed!!! But they've decided to give us hw over the break anyhow.

Personally I'm not afraid of this virus. It's largely paranoia. I went to the Rugby Sevens today, the vast majority of the spectators had no masks. Look as long as one doesn't stand too close to someone coughing or sneezing and if one washes their hands regularly, there is not a problem. As for me, this virus has ceased to keep me indoors!!!

Comment

Working...
                X