Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who live outside their countries of birth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
    By the way Crazy764, I have a Shanghainese grandmother who originally hails from 蕪湖. The rest of my ancestors are from 台山 and 中山 (both in 廣東省), so I guess I'm not totally a 沿海人.
    Will F.
    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
      By the way Crazy764, I have a Shanghainese grandmother who originally hails from 蕪湖. The rest of my ancestors are from 台山 and 中山 (both in 廣東省), so I guess I'm not totally a 沿海人.
      Same with me, my father's family are Shanghainese too and they say our family roots back to 合肥. While my mother's family are of Cantonese origin.....so sometimes I call myself a "Chinese mix" (same for you Asian Brushstroke)

Comment

Originally posted by HKG-YUL
        our family roots back to 合肥.
        Wow! Who would've thought!
        Will F.

Comment

Re: For those who live outside their countries of birth...

Originally posted by Flying High
          1) Your country of birth

2) The country you live in now

3) Do you like the country you live in???

4) Would you go back to your home country???
          1. Spain

2. USA

3. Yep.. Lots

4. Go back all the time... but I moved here at 2
          www.acairport.com

Comment

安徽 合肥 蕪湖 台山 中山 廣東省 沿海人合肥
            lol...I totally understood all that... :P j/k
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
              安徽 合肥 蕪湖 台山 中山 廣東省 沿海人合肥
              ????? <<:>"">L +_"{__"PP{ ::"{{})__(&%^ #$%^$&$#% ^%%^#$%%^%$## $#^%$^$#^ $#%#^W$%&** */-

Comment

Originally posted by iceman
                Originally posted by indian airlines
                安徽 合肥 蕪湖 台山 中山 廣東省 沿海人合肥
                ????? <<:>"">L +_"{__"PP{ ::"{{})__(&%^ #$%^$&$#% ^%%^#$%%^%$## $#^%$^$#^ $#%#^W$%&** */-
                I thought they'd turn into squares...

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

okay...so mine is kinda complicated. I'm 100% American, but I was born in the UK, but have lived in places in the world other than the US for over half of my life. I'll try to answer the best I can though

1) Your country of birth: Was born in Harrogate, England, but to American parents. We moved back to the states a year after I was born, so obviously I dont remember it.

2) The country you live in now: I'm currently going to school in North Dakota, USA, but my parents are currently living in Japan.

3) Do you like the country you live in??? I love the USA, and I love being American, but honestly, I'd rather live overseas. Growing up in Germany and living in Japan have given me (in my opinion) experiences and views on life that I would have had no chance of getting had I lived in small town USA all my life. Oh, and I have to add, North Dakota sucks...give it to Canada.

4) Would you go back to your home country??? I guess if I permanently lived in the right part of the US it wouldent be so bad, but right now I'm hating it. North Dakota is flat, cold, and void of things to do. I wish I was still with my parents out in Tokyo (less than a month until I will be out there for summer vacation). To me 'home' is where my parents live. But if I had to pick a place that felt the most like home for other reasons it would be Germany, especialy Bavaria. I spent 6 years in Bad Aibling (about 1 hour south of Munich). Those years were from 7th grade through graduation from high school, so obviously it had a great impression on me. Now I have made it back to the UK once. My parents reccomended that I join boy scouts while I was in Germany. I thought it might be a cool idea. I joined up right before they took a camping trip to Sheffield, England. The weather was awesome, up until the time we set up our tents. From then on it proceded to rain for the ENTIRE week until about 10 miuntes after we took down our tents. It sucked. I got back home after that week and told my parents that it was one of the worst ideas they ever had

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                    North Dakota sucks...give it to Canada.
                    HAHAHAHAHA

BTW, I lived in Germany for 7 years, too!
                    Will F.

Comment

1)Taiwan. I consider Canada as my home country though since I spent 9 years there (from elementary school all the way up to high school graduation).

2)USA

3)Errrrr, there is nothing really to do in SC. Too hot & humid and there isn't really anything out here....sounds like a hellish version of North Dakota :P I'd much rather be in a bigger city especially somewhere along the west coast like LA.

4)I don't want to go back to Taiwan now because I will have to do two years mandatory service in the army. If I could, I would go just to visit my grandparents and other relatives.
                      Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                      No Frontiers

Comment

1. Born in Australia (Adelaide, SA)

2. Live in the United States (Washington, DC)

3. I love it in Washington. Although I work in D.C. I actually live in Arlington, VA (about a mile west of the DC-VA border). Arlington rocks!

4. I return to Australia quite often. I could never live in Adelaide again. Kind of like a small town even though it has over a million people. I might return if I were to live in Sydney. More likely, though, given my wife's job, that we'll live in a bunch of places worldwide in the future.
                        AIRIGAMI.NET
                        http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

For those who live outside their countries of birth...

Judging from my experience, ever third or fourth American has lived in Germany for some time . Whenever people asked "Where you're from?" and me or parents answered "From Germany", those folks start like "Hey, I used to live in XYZ from 19XX until 19YY" or "my (brother, cousin, father etc) lived/ served for the USAF in YXZ" etc. It can be crazy.

-Colin

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                            Judging from my experience, ever third or fourth American has lived in Germany for some time . Whenever people asked "Where you're from?" and me or parents answered "From Germany", those folks start like "Hey, I used to live in XYZ from 19XX until 19YY" or "my (brother, cousin, father etc) lived/ served for the USAF in YXZ" etc. It can be crazy.

-Colin
                            I lived in Tuebingen, near Stuttgart, from 1993-2000
                            Will F.

Comment

1) Your country of birth: Georgetown, Malaysia. Whole family then moved to Vancouver, BC. Then to Victoria, Australia.

2) The country you live in now: Australia (Victoria)

3) Do you like the country you live in??? Absolutely.

4) Would you go back to your home country??? For a vacation or temporary work, Yes. To live permanently, definitely not.

Comment

Re:

1. India

2. USA

3. Yep

4. Only to visit.

Happy Flying!

Comment

Working...
                                X