World's Tallest Building now goes to Taiwan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Tallest Building now goes to Taiwan

Latest list of World's Tallest 10 Buildings is out. Taipei 101 now received the title as the World's Tallest Building, surpassing Sears Tower in Chicago, and the twin tower in Kuala Lumpur.

Taiwan now holds #1 and #9 tallest building in the world.

#9, Tuntex 85, located in Kaohsiung, southern Taiwan.

10 of World's Tallest Building
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

It has a nice design on it when compared to a lot of other buildings being built nowadays.

Comment

Tall buildings aren't really popular for some reason look at the Empire state it was built a long time ago yet still is in the top 10.

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
      View the Darkside

Comment

Dammit... just when I was going to visit the Petronas Towers. ]

Really, I was.
        www.acairport.com

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but is it true that Taipei only has a few high-rises because it's in an earthquake zone? I've been there once but I don't remember much, as that was 6 years ago.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Tokyo is quite the earthquake zone and they have plenty of high rises. I really doubt that with todays technology that it isr eally an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              Tokyo is quite the earthquake zone and they have plenty of high rises. I really doubt that with todays technology that it isr eally an issue.
              Good point - I didn't think of that.

Anyway, I recall hearing somewhere that Taipei 101 has a huge metal ball in the middle of the building (weighing several tons) to counter any swaying in the event of an earthquake or typhoon.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

I heard that the foundation where the Taipei 101 stands is in those earthquake zone branch or something.

There was a crane falling from the 90th floor during Magnitude 5 eathquake in 2002.

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
                Slightly off-topic, but is it true that Taipei only has a few high-rises because it's in an earthquake zone? I've been there once but I don't remember much, as that was 6 years ago.
                Airline Route News
                Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

Working...
                X