Severe Thunderstorm in Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Thunderstorm in Tulsa

Well this evening at about 7pm the Tornado sirens went off so I grabbed my camera and decided to chase the storm. This storm that moved into Tulsa had a confirmed tornado about 10mi west of where I live. Here are some pics that I took while following the storm. The pics are alittle blurry because I was driving while taking the pictures(not a smart thing to do). This is the only thing that I like about Oklahoma, their thunderstorms.

-Ralph Duenas

Knowledge & Power Overcome Superstition And Luck.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Neat stuff...I've done a small bit of stormchasing here, but our storm don't get near as nasty as those in Oklahoma. We did have an F5 not too far away a number of years back, that sucker was headed right for us until the supercell became a "right turner".
    Same day I watched a funnel track NW-SE about 1/2 mile north of my house...interesting day, to say the least.
    George R. Widener
    Oshkosh, WI USA
    Aircraft Photos Here
    Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Damn, that's awesome.
      My photos on jp.net

Comment

Severe Thunderstorm in Tulsa

Impressive pics. I've never had the chance to take such pics. Whenever there was a t'storm on my route, it was gone when I got there, or just raining like ****.

-Colin

Comment

Here's the best chances today, is Tulsa in there?:

My photos on jp.net

Comment

According to that map, yes. Looks like we are in between the brown & yellow lines in NE Ok. I've been keeping track on the weather channel. The good thing (if you want thunderstorms) is the suns out, so that really helps destabilize the atmosphere. Im looking for some maps, charging my hand held tranceiver and charging my camera batteries just incase.
            -Ralph Duenas

Comment

Wow! Those are some very impressive clouds! Im takin a Weather (WX201) class here at ERAU and we've watched many video's about storm chasing. I think it would be loads of fun to go on a chase for a couple days. Although, driving 300 miles to get a storm that doesnt develope would suck ass.. but still... Very cool!

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                Wow! Those are some very impressive clouds! Im takin a Weather (WX201) class here at ERAU and we've watched many video's about storm chasing. I think it would be loads of fun to go on a chase for a couple days. Although, driving 300 miles to get a storm that doesnt develope would suck ass.. but still... Very cool!

Adam
                It is such an adrenaline rush when your chasing them. I finally got to see my first tornado last year in a town called Dewey. My friend and I chased this super cell for hours. We were so busy trying to stay with it that we ended up somewhere in Kansas without realizing it. We had caught up with a news chase team that had doppler radar on their SUV so we just followed them.
                -Ralph Duenas

Comment

Potential tornado outbreak

I'm sitting here looking out the window. Almost all of Oklahoma is under a PDS (Particularly Dangerous Situation) tornado watch. There's a potential outbreak brewing here. Lots of shear present. Perfect setup for tornadoes.

More later...

Comment

The afternoon heating is coming into effect. We are starting to get more and more cumulus clouds showing some vertical lift. Here's a pic from about 30mins ago.
                    -Ralph Duenas

Comment

Hey Foxtrot, do you do any chasing yourself?
                      -Ralph Duenas

Comment

Last night where I live, (Batavia, Illinois- it's near Aurora and St. Charles- One hour from MDW and ORD) the sirens went off about four times last night because there were tornadoes around DeKalb or something.

Nothing happened, but the skies did look threatning and when the announced "THE SEVERE CELLS WILL BE NEAR AURORA, IL AT 7:30pm, BATAVIA, IL AT 7:35pm I went outside and I could tell there was a little rotation in the skies, so I took a picture, its not the best, but I like to call it The Calm Before The Storm and it was really windy, I spent a good amount of time down in the basement.

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
                        October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Oh ya, about 10 mins. after I took the pics, the sirens went off.

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
                          October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Damn, I wish we got chaseable weather near Columbus.
                            My photos on jp.net

Comment

Little Rock's in the 5% range. We've had some bad storms here today, but nothing as bad as those Tulsa pictures.
                              Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                              ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Working...
                              X