Former NFL star killed in Afghanistan battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADG
    I don't understand why people think he is more heroic than any other soldier who has given their lives over in Afghanistan.

ADG
    25th April - ANZAC DAY .... "lest we forget"
    Yep i agree..... he was a soldier just like all the others. It's just that he's famous so his story will always be bigger. He knew what he was getting into when he signed up and he accpeted the risks to serve his country... just the same as all other soldiers. Unfortunatly as Adam said thats the price of war.... people will die .

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
      It's just that he's famous so his story will always be bigger.
      Not really, just because he was famous doesn't mean the story is "bigger", what really stands out is the fact that he gave up a career in the NFL to serve for his country, as I have already said that shows courage and that's what the real story is, shame some people don't realise that.

Comment

But still that doesn't make his death any more or less important than any other soldier.

Comment

Who's to say that one of those others who have died in almost no media fanfare wasn't slated in future to find the cure for cancer, or who's future children were going to do something big for the world.

I think if my dad/mom/wife/husband/son/daughter was killed in these wars and I saw this guy on TV being made up to be something special .. I'd be insulted.

ADG
          ADG
          No makeovers please .....

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
            Who's to say that one of those others who have died in almost no media fanfare wasn't slated in future to find the cure for cancer, or who's future children were going to do something big for the world.

I think if my dad/mom/wife/husband/son/daughter was killed in these wars and I saw this guy on TV being made up to be something special .. I'd be insulted.

ADG
            He is something special. I can guarantee you that you would have a hard time finding another soldier in the Middle East right now who turned down millions of dollars to serve his country. He may not be any more of a hero than the 800+ other US soldiers who have given up their lives, but his story deserves to be told.
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Yes, he is something special. He is one of the military personnel that have given their lives "in service of their country". Apart from that the rest is little more than media hype that is insulting to those others who also gave their lives.

EVERYONE who has given their lives over there has a story to tell, every single one of them put their country before their selfishness and chose to join up (unless i'm wrong there is no conscription in the US).

His death is worthy of reporting in exactly the same way as the death of any other soldier in a war zone. We mourn the loss of them all, they are all heros.

What should define the moment is the method in which they died, not the method in which they enlisted. His decision to join your military was no different from anyone else who joined after 11th September 2001.

Is he any more heroic than the 3 US soldiers recently killed (media report) stopping a suicide boat from hitting an oil rig? No.

Is he any more heroic than those US soldiers killed in rocket attacks on the streets of Baghdad? No.

The story of his death should focus on his military accomplishments (getting into the Rangers is apparently no mean feat), not his "promising sports career", after all that's what makes him heroic.

I don't understand this focus on sportsmen as being "special". Every man & woman in the military is special, more special than any football player.

ADG
              (thinks the term heroic is used so much it is a risk of becoming meaningless)
              ADG

Comment

I don't understand this focus on sportsmen as being "special". Every man & woman in the military is special, more special than any football player.
                Excellent point. Full agreement with you.

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                  Yes, he is something special. He is one of the military personnel that have given their lives "in service of their country". Apart from that the rest is little more than media hype that is insulting to those others who also gave their lives.

EVERYONE who has given their lives over there has a story to tell, every single one of them put their country before their selfishness and chose to join up (unless i'm wrong there is no conscription in the US).

His death is worthy of reporting in exactly the same way as the death of any other soldier in a war zone. We mourn the loss of them all, they are all heros.

What should define the moment is the method in which they died, not the method in which they enlisted. His decision to join your military was no different from anyone else who joined after 11th September 2001.

Is he any more heroic than the 3 US soldiers recently killed (media report) stopping a suicide boat from hitting an oil rig? No.

Is he any more heroic than those US soldiers killed in rocket attacks on the streets of Baghdad? No.

The story of his death should focus on his military accomplishments (getting into the Rangers is apparently no mean feat), not his "promising sports career", after all that's what makes him heroic.

ADG
                  (thinks the term heroic is used so much it is a risk of becoming meaningless)
                  All good points, and I agree with you here, but is there any real harm from a day or two of media attention and a few moments of silence? I do think that there is somewhat of a double standard, and I wish that all coalition troops killed in battle would get the same amount of media attention. However, most major news outlets either don't have time for this recognition or choose not to recognize coalition KIA for other reasons. (One station did a great job of giving pictures and names of each and every KIA during their morning program, with about 1 in 5 having their biography read aloud. I can't recall which station did this).

My point is this: The media attention surrounding his death (hopefully) didn't hurt anyone, so why complain? Every KIA deserves to be honored in this way, and when one finally is, people seem to complain...
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

But I think that the media hype does hurt people. It hurts the mothers and the fathers and the sisters, brothers, daughters, sons, wifes, husbands of those who are KIA and who don't get the media "hype".

It sends a very sad message that somehow this guys life is more important than other peoples just because he had the opportunity to become rich and chose the military over a sports career.

On a personal note, I find those obituaries where the fallen leaves young children to be the most heart wrenching. They didn't give up million dollar footy contracts, they gave up being with their children as they grew. That IMO is far harder than walking away from any amount of money.

ADG
                    ADG

Comment

That's why this dude doesn't want to be reported.

But still, it was because his "football professional past" that makes this a big deal.

Originally posted by ADG
                      I don't understand why people think he is more heroic than any other soldier who has given their lives over in Afghanistan.

ADG
                      25th April - ANZAC DAY .... "lest we forget"
                      Airline Route News
                      Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

Working...
                      X