"Stop Same Sex Marriage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stop Same Sex Marriage"

Well.. this forum is over run with silly games and such, so i thought i'd bring it a more mature topic.

After getting back from my Speech Final Exam this morning, I was just mopeing around the suite (I live in a dorm) and I saw a stack of papers that were to be handed out. I read the topic of the hand out and was shocked! My roommate, a hardcore christain had printed up about a dozen handouts labeled "STOP SAME SEX MARRAIGE!"

I felt like take the scissors and destorying these. Attached to the back was another sheet, a pre written letter for a congressman/senator/govenor urging them to vote NO on legalizing gay marriage.

I am enraged! I mean, he's a very conservative southerner, but I dont see how people can hate Gays and Lesbians!

What are your opions on Same Sex Marraige?

I don't think gay marriage is right, BUT, I don't "hate gays".
    Brent

Comment

Actually,
      I endorse what your friend is doing. Perhaps I wouldn't use hate statments, but rather reason and logic. But I fully agree with your friend's action.

Cheers,
      Guybrush

Comment

I agree with gay marriage.
        If they love each other, why can't they just try to be happy in marriage as a normal couple?

(I am totally hetero btw)

Comment

Re: "Stop Same Sex Marriage"

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
          I read the topic of the hand out and was shocked! My roommate, a hardcore christain had printed up about a dozen handouts labeled "STOP SAME SEX MARRAIGE!"

I felt like take the scissors and destorying these. Not only were they papers of hate, but attached to the back was another sheet, a pre written letter for a congressman/senator/govenor urging them to vote NO on legalizing gay marriage.

I am enraged! I mean, he's a very conservative southerner, but I dont see how people can hate Gays and Lesbians!
          I'll play devil's advocate with you.

Based on what you have so far quoted on his flyer, he hasn't engaged in any form of hate or hate speech. If there are statements that are on his flyer that are a form of hate, you haven't posted them. He is expressing a view, albeit passionately, that is mainstream even if you disagree with it. Also, even if you don't agree with his point of view, can you not respect him for his methods? He is encouraging people that agree with his views to actively engage in our democratic process. To rip up his flyers and to try to squelch his right to free speech is counter to the idea of democracy. If you really want to do something pro-active to counter his zeal, put away your scissors and pull out your "Kinko's Copy Card." Go run off your own flyers and try to convince people of your point of view.

As for the conservative Southerner bit, I don't see how that makes one inclined to hate people. Consider what Webster calls hate:

hate 1. To have a great aversion to, with a strong desire that evil should befall the person toward whom the feeling is directed; to dislike intensely; to detest; as, to hate one's enemies; to hate hypocrisy.

Hate is what causes tragedies like Matthew Shepard in Montana, and no person that has respect for human life or dignity can advocate such a crime regardless of politics or geography. It is unfair to slander those that disagree with you in such a way. Let me say, I do like your energy though. Direct in a way that helps the cause you believe in.

CSky
          ///CSky///

Comment

Interesting topic. Warning: Let's keep it within reason!

Comment

Carolina, you bring a good argument and i see how i blew out of proportion some of my feelings about this topic and i've reconsidered the fact that anyone can express an idea or a belief.

Still... why can people reject, hate, slanderize, etc the gay community? WHy would you want to deny them the right to be "bound" legally so they can enjoy the same benifits heterosexual couples recieve from the government?

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                Carolina, you bring a good argument and i see how i blew out of proportion some of my feelings about this topic and i've reconsidered the fact that anyone can express an idea or a belief.

Still... why can people reject, hate, slanderize, etc the gay community?
                That is what I can't understand. I have gay and lesbian friends and I really don't see whats the big deal with them, never have seen it.

Comment

I think some people don't spend enough time considering the impacts of their actions and statements on people they are not sensitive to. This isn't anything exclusive to mistreatment of gays, but gets into all kinds of discrimination. Part of the problem is that the extremists on all sides of an issue make it tough for the reasonable people engaged in a debate to find a common ground. If someone always automatically thinks that a person with a different point of view must be some kind of nut or wacko, then that person probably needs to do some introspection about how open minded and rational they are. (Delta, Let me say in advance this last bit is not a comment about you, as I don't know you well enough to try to sum you up in such a way. I actually have my dad in mind as I type this out.) I know I had a personal experience at 17 wherein a friend of mine "came out," and the first thing I felt was guilt at all the vitriol I had spewed prior to knowing he is gay. I wasn’t just scared that I had offended him, but more importantly I realized I was a hypocrite since my words before didn’t line up with my morals and beliefs. Only once the issue was up close and personal did I see how I must have made him feel terrible and doubt his self worth and so on.

My edit added this as I missed your second question:

To answer the second part of what you are asking there are some aspects to consider. One thing that hasn't been fielded enough are the economic issues at play. There is a cost to any benefit, and I don't think that enough discussion has taken place on this hardly minor detail. Some of the other arguments don't hold water, i.e. some religions forbid it, and my grandpa didn't like it, and so on. For the record I'm for civil unions on parity with hetero marriage, and in time I think this will be what we end up with. It may be semantics but 'gay marriage' has too many religious connotations to succeed legally.
                  ///CSky///

Comment

Originally posted by Avianca 757
                    That is what I can't understand. I have gay and lesbian friends and I really don't see whats the big deal with them, never have seen it.
                    I do know what you are talking about on this one. When your culture has certain expectations (right or wrong) and things are reinforced via authority figures and peers, that is how these things come about. As I grew up in the South, the concept of American anti-Semitism is foreign to me. I don't ever remember anyone voicing a personal hatred of Jews. Even now, I know it exists and I think it is wrong, but I can't understand what would make someone hate a Jew in the first place. To me it has always seemed beyond logic and arbitrary. It makes about as much since as "squirrel hate" or "bicycle hate" or something else someone picked out of a hat.
                    ///CSky///

Comment

It's really amazing with a divorce rate of 75% here in the U.S we are telling people not to get married and start a family. It would seem to me that we should be encouraging more people to get married and start families.

Comment

Originally posted by Avianca 757
                        I agree with gay marriage.
                        If they love each other, why can't they just try to be happy in marriage as a normal couple?

(I am totally hetero btw)
                        To follow-up: let them get married and be as miserable as heterosexual couples ...

-Sturla

Comment

Actually it is another form of hatred. By blocking people's rights.

Originally posted by guybrush
                          Actually,
                          I endorse what your friend is doing. Perhaps I wouldn't use hate statments, but rather reason and logic. But I fully agree with your friend's action.

Cheers,
                          Guybrush
                          The santity of marraige has been broken apart in the United States.

The divorce rate is high. But The Republicans and Bush ignored it, and prefers to pick on Homosexuals.

When 2 men or 2 women wants to get married, they get criticized, and told this is immoral, and breaking the rules of marraige.

But then did the republicans criticize Britney Spears using the marraige as a "game", deciding "oh, I want to marry now" and then annualled it 55hrs after, using excuses like "I don't know what I was doing"? No

Did the republicans criticize Jennifer Lopez swapping husbands in within 1-2 years? No

Did the republicans did something to stop the divorce rate goes up? No

If Bush/Conservative/Republicans unable to do those thing mentioned above (or similar cases), they better get themselves do other stuff, rather than blocking other peoples right by using their religious beliefs.
                          Airline Route News
                          Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

One more thing. Despite I'm not really interested in marrying with my future bf (Still looking :P and civil union is fine to me), but I think it is absurd that people would use the religious beliefs to tell other people "you can't do this and that".
                            Airline Route News
                            Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

I dont see how people can be so strongly against something that does not affect them. For those of you who are against same sex marriage, tell me how it affects you. It doesn't, at all. So why should you care?

Comment

Working...
                              X