UN envoy calls Israel "poison" of the middle-east

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN envoy calls Israel "poison" of the middle-east

Israel has sent a formal letter of protest to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, condemning remarks made by the top United Nations envoy to Iraq that called Israel's policies “the great poison” in the Middle East.

Israeli ambassador Dan Gillerman wrote in the letter Monday that Lakhdar Brahimi's comments were “vitriolic and biased” and heightened concerns about the objectivity of the United Nations concerning the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Israel protests remark by UN envoy

-----

Although I agree with the UN envoy's reasons, but using the word "poison" seems to be too harsh.

Funny thing is when Israel calls the UN Envoy "vitriolic and biased", they seems to forget that they're somewhat biased too.
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

Lakhdar Brahimi's daughter is getting married to Jordan's King Abdullah's younger brother this summer.

Comment

They'll hide any evidence of a massacre at a refugee camp not allowing the UN in, they'll grossly abuse the human rights of the Palestinian people, they'll reduce the Palestinian economy to almost nothing, but they're always be willing to rant and complain about those who disagree with their brutal policies. Is that hypocracy I smell?

Comment

Another example of anti-semitism alive and well. Perhaps people should read more into why there was a need for Israel. The Holocaust isn't something that people can just conveniently forget about. Maybe those of Arab states should have some type of education about it as well...?

On a side note- The American flag and the Israeli flag were flying side by side earlier this week in front of our local municipal building. Let us hope that these flags will continue to fly in support of each other for decades to come.
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
            Another example of anti-semitism alive and well.
            Don't see why any criticism against Israeli policy would be antisemitism. True, he could have used other terms, but still, it was directed against a state, not a race.

Perhaps people should read more into why there was a need for Israel. The Holocaust isn't something that people can just conveniently forget about. Maybe those of Arab states should have some type of education about it as well...?
            So basically what you are saying is that Arab states have no education? Don't you think that's a prejudice? Are you saying all people criticising Israel are dumb or uneducated?
            But perhaps people should read more into why palestinians are so mad about the whole thing (small hint: they had nothing to do with holocaust).

On a side note- The American flag and the Israeli flag were flying side by side earlier this week in front of our local municipal building. Let us hope that these flags will continue to fly in support of each other for decades to come.
            Let us hope we see peace in the Middle East some day, based on consense, mutual respect and tolerance on both sides.

Comment

Koffee Kup Anan is an idiot!

Comment

I’m surprised nobody has commented on the fact that Lakhdar Brahimi’s daughter – CNN reporter Rim Brahimi – is marrying King Abdullah’s brother.

Jordan has the largest Pali population in the world (60% of Jordan is made up of Palestinians). Yes, much more than even the Pali territories. Abdullah’s wife is Palestinian.

I dunno, but it's pretty obvious where Brahimi's loyalties will lie. Obviously Kofi thought of this ahead of time when thinking of an envoy in the region, right? I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not sure that Lakhdar is really entitled to be a UN representative. He just doesn’t seem to be an honest broker.

Comment

I agree...being a muslim and a UN-representative at the same time, he should have used other terms in order to maintain his credibility. However, sending a muslim representative to Iraq is probably intended, since Iraqis will have more confindece in a muslim. It's by far smarter than sending an American, a Brit, even a frenchman or a russian.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeroposta
                    I agree...being a muslim and a UN-representative at the same time, he should have used other terms in order to maintain his credibility. However, sending a muslim representative to Iraq is probably intended.
                    Even more, if the UN wanted to have any sort of credibilty and they were so concerned about their image of impartiality, they should have selected an envoy from another part of the world far removed from this region, like East Asia or Latin America.

Comment

I edited my earlier post, but I'll say it again: credibility on which side? It might be not that neutral and credible for us, but maybe for most Iraqis. Maybe that's what Annan was looking for (in the short term). A cuestion of priorities I guess.

The future of Iraq will probably include the UN. And the better they are considered in Iraq's public opinion, the easier will their job be.

Anyway, I agree that even if that were their priorities, another candidate with a different background would have been more appropiate.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                        Another example of anti-semitism alive and well. Perhaps people should read more into why there was a need for Israel. The Holocaust isn't something that people can just conveniently forget about. Maybe those of Arab states should have some type of education about it as well...?

Critisizing Israel and hating Jews are not in any way the same thing. Personally I can't stand what the Israeli government is doing, that doesn't mean I'm an anti-semite. I have two close friends who are Jewish. The Arab world is well aware of why Israel came into being. There are many in Syria and Jordan who know that the Jews need a state and believe in peaceful co-existance. What they are disgusted with is Israel's secret expansion into Palestinian territories. They set up a settlement, kick any Palestinians off that land, fortify this settlement, and after a while annex these settlements and outlying territories with Israel proper.

Both sides are right and wrong, both have the right to that land.

Comment

There's something curious :
                          Why this UN envoy is not appointed in North Korea ? There he would really know what is a country sized "prison".
                          I could be tempted to side versus Israel, BUT I WON'T. My reasons :
                          -Unlike an overwhelming majority of state members, Israel gets its heads picked next to a ballot, a REAL ballot.
                          -Most UN members are run under either dictatorships or biased governorships.
                          -Most don't pay their membership fees, never paid them anyway and get the right to speak anyway and use it prefably whenever possible versus Western countries.
                          -For decades, the UN was a favourite playground of the Soviet who infiltrated the structures, so that virtually any vote endorsed what they were shopping around for.
                          List goes on
                          Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

@Iceman: today I read in a local newspaper that Lakhdar Brahimi is not an envoy of the UN, but merely their advisor for Iraq. If this is true, he wouldn't be speaking in the name of the United Nations.

@uy707 (with all due respect):

-Unlike an overwhelming majority of state members, Israel gets its heads picked next to a ballot, a REAL ballot.
                            Being a democracy or not is not accepted as a legitimization of foreign policies.

-Most UN members are run under either dictatorships or biased governorships.
                            The first isn't really that true. Even if a lot of countries (though not the majority) have no democracies, it doesn't mean they have dictatorships. And even if they had, the UN charter doesn't prioritize democratic countries.
                            Those who you might believe are biased probably say the same about western countries. What makes you so sure that "we" are right and they are wrong? Neither of both sides are really that objective.

-Most don't pay their membership fees, never paid them anyway and get the right to speak anyway and use it prefably whenever possible versus Western countries.
                            Might I ask for some facts? They have the right to speak as long as they are members, and if they have something to say against western countries, it should be looked into by the Organization, just as they (the UN) look into other countries when western countries express their concern (just look where UN-inspectors are sent to and why).
                            Strangely, if what you said was true, most ofthese countries wouldn't criticize the UN at least as much as some "western" countries.
                            BTW, did you know that the USA is the UN's main debtor?

-For decades, the UN was a favourite playground of the Soviet who infiltrated the structures, so that virtually any vote endorsed what they were shopping around for.
                            I really doubt that. We wouldn't have had so many Security Council-resolutions to the benefit of western countries if that was true.

Comment

The US has been biggest debtors due to some facts I listed above, first of which as behaving as a virtual conduit for Soviet Union.
                              About the regular bad payers : the african countries, which routenely, boringly turn to France to set the bills. And yes, personnally, it bugs me out to see them keeping the right to express especially versus the donators who pay their bills...
                              Being a democracy can be accepted as a legitimization, by accepting the reverse you endorse for instance Cameroon in conducting a very bad diplomacy, which it's starting at last to pay back !
                              The proWestern resolution as you hint it just date back more or less to the early 1990s, which was not the case from 1950 to 1985.
                              Alain
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X