Music in combination with aviation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music in combination with aviation

... and since Top Gun Maverick (Top Gun Part II) everbody understands that this is one of the most natural combinations on Earth..

So, I don't ask you for the difference between Top Gun Part I (1986) and Top Gun Maverick - Part II (2022). Kenny Loggins (*1948_) is not the difference. Thank God, he appears in both movies.

I'd rather ask you for music which you like to listen to on a rather loong flight (3-4 hours or more).

Everybody is invited to take part, between 14 and 84 (or older if you like).

Since I am the threadstarter, I like to give you an idea about what I'd mention in September 2022:
    1. Lenny Kravitz - The Chamber (2014) - on black vinyl LP with the name 'Strut' from that same year 2014. But if you can for less than 199 US-$ .

2. Foo Fighters. The Taylor Hawkins Tribute. Not quite 7 years older than me, Taylor Hawkins from Forth Worth TX died at the age of 50 due to a self-inflicted medicine overdose which included the following substances: "opioids, benzodiazepines, tricyclic antidepressants, and THC (a psychoactive drug found in cannabis)." (from the Taylor Hawkins en wiki).
    Rest in Peace, Mr Hawkins (1972-2022).

3. Your choice. Any kind of music which helps us through hard times. I mean, I am almost 45 years old. Men and women who definitely have never reached that age:
    Elvis Presley (1935-1977), Paul Walker (1973-2013), Janis Joplin (1943-1970), Amy Winehouse (1983-2011), ...

I can mention music which helps me through hard times, because he still is and will always be almost exactly as old as my father (with only three days difference):

Mr. Eric P. Clapton CBE (*March 30 1945) : It's in the Way you use it (1987), Say what you will (2005), ... ..... ...............
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Oh yes, I was quite sure that I mentioned him before:
    Mr. Eric P. Clapton CBE (*March 30 1945). Music which helps us through hard times. My Father's Eyes (1998_), Promises (1977), ..... ....

Btw, dear Congrats!
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-30, 02:16. Reason: + 1977

Comment

When sons look into their Father's Eyes.... (cp my #2 and my #1 here in this topic...)

The Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert. I wasn't present in London last September, but in parts that epic concert (6 hours) was recorded by MTV Germany (?!).

For me, MTV is known since 1981, but in Germany they hadn't always shown music for 40 years. But since 3 or 5 years mtv is back again with music, with really good things,
      like 'Guess the Year' and so on.

Back on topic.
      The German 'Rolling Stone' says, that the Foo fans already know the new drummer. The name is Shane Hawkins, who is the son of Taylor, and who in my eyes and ears is at least
      a dignified successor of his father, or more. Shane really rocked the Wembley.

Or what would Dave Grohl say?

PS: With the weakness for the drums, Shane, we'll never be alone: Hawkins father & son, Dave Grohl, Phil Collins, Ringo Starr (Weight of the World 1992),
      Don Henley, Mick Fleetwood, ... ...
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-30, 03:50. Reason: The Drums.

Comment

Fathers & sons, ...... I could bet that my father would've never ever shared this list of drummers with me, and today he would be 78 years old...

And also never ever my list of guitarrists: Lenny Kravitz (bass guitar), Ry Cooder (*1947), Dave Grohl, The Edge, Rudolf Schenker (Scorpions) ...

... ZZ Top - Sharp dressed man (1983) ... The Sweet - Love is like Oxygen (1978_) ...

How good it must be - like Shane - to have a father who's born in the 1970s... these ones know all the good stuff. .... .
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-30, 05:38. Reason: + ZZ Top. + The Sweet.

Comment

As between me and Taylor Hawkins there are only 6 years and 7 days, I just wonder if it is allowed to smile again when your father is dead.

I just try to remember what I said in January 2009, when Flight Captain Chesley Sullenberger had to sail his A320 without all engines through the Hudson. 155? - Yes, 155. And Sullenberger to me is something like a father figure.

I must have said, jump on to the horse and ride it again, there is no chance when you allow yourself a bigger break. Probably his F/O Skiles also said something like that,
          and so Sullenberger did what he does best, he climbed back onto his leftseat A320.

It is allowed to smile when our father is dead, whe should do what we do best. For Shane on the drums,
          and for all of us who believe that music can lead us through hard times...

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1972) .

PS: One very hard day could be when you see that your dad will posthumously become a grandfather, and these two humans will never have the chance to see each other in the eyes. But I've also survived that and I'm still standing.
          With the permission of Mr Don Henley, I like to open a list of humans who have died too early: Mr Glenn Frey (known as a founding member of The Eagles, or for such brilliant songs as 'This way to happiness', died at the age of 67), Elvis Presley (died at the age of 42), James Dean (died at the age of 24), Amy Winehouse (died at the age of 27), my father (died at the age of 64),
          and Taylor Hawkins (1972-2022).
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-30, 07:07. Reason: Hard days..

Comment

One of my favourite bands(AC/DC) playing one of my favourite tracks (Thunderstruck) set to one of my favourite aviation videos….

​​​​​​…… https://youtu.be/tx6FsDC4i3s
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              One of my favourite bands(AC/DC) playing one of my favourite tracks (Thunderstruck) set to one of my favourite aviation videos….

​​​​​​…… [...]
              Oh Brian, ... what would have been if one of us had become a radio moderator. Good music for more than 40 years, so much is for sure. And if you ask me, most of the time
              during the night shift. I am so very much a night owl..

15 or 17 years ago somebody asked me, what is my music. And I must've responded, everything, I only always assume two things: somebody on the drums,
              and somebody on the bass guitar. So, my playlist indeed also contains AC/DC. But there is another reason why I today come back here to my topic.
              Hot Chocolate - So You win Again (1977).
              That's a song which I directly associate with the voice of a radio moderator who played that song here on the radio, 40 years ago. Mr Jochen Pützenbacher was his name,
              who between March 9 1939 and August 2019 always has shared his home airport with me.. How you miss voices, and Pützenbacher was famous for his sonorous voice..

But now for something completely different.
              AC/DC - Thunderstruck (1990).
              Although I'd prefer one song, which is much more nearer to my year (1978_)...

AC/DC - Hells Bells (1980). Here the Original version, only valid with more than 5 minutes..
              Official HD Video for "Hells Bells" by AC/DCListen to AC/DC: https://ACDC.lnk.to/listen_YDSubscribe to the official AC/DC YouTube channel: https://ACDC.lnk.t...

Dear after-easter-egg-greatings, with one or two good guitars..

PS: At least one song is missing here for a legendary night shift, ... with Mr Fleetwood at the drums, but let me mention that in a minute.

Comment

I like to continue with Mr Taylor Hawkins on the drums (1972-2022), who obviously and as I hope has handed over the drum sticks to his son, Mr Shane Hawkins.

Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly (1999), with a quite brilliant video... Dave Grohl is good for (almost) everything, with the only exception, long haired female jet passenger (!) ..
                And Taylor Hawkins as your stewardess? Quite legendary, this video must be, also for his son..
                Foo Fighters' official music video for 'Learn To Fly'. Click to listen to Foo Fighters on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/FooFSpotify?IQid=F...As featured on Gre...

I now could continue with the Taylor Hawkins Tribute concert from Wembley for the next 6 hours, but that would even here on my internet aviation home platform be a little bit too much,
                or not.
                Foo Fighters - Everlong (1997)
                "Everlong" by Foo Fighters Listen to Foo Fighters: https://FooFighters.lnk.to/listen_YDWatch more Foo Fighter videos: https://FooFighters.lnk.to/listen_YC/yo...

Foo Fighters - My Hero (1998_)
                "My Hero" by Foo Fighters Listen to Foo Fighters: https://FooFighters.lnk.to/listen_YDWatch more Foo Fighter videos: https://FooFighters.lnk.to/listen_YC/you...

Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-04-12, 01:37. Reason: Taylor Hawkins tribute.

Comment

During this wednesday night one thing has become clear for me, since I watched (a good portion of) the Taylor Hawkins tribute on MTV, either my TV produces a quite brilliant sound,
                  or my computer sound is a little bit weak, especially with 'My Hero 1998'. Probably rather the second.
                  And now we almost get into sound philosophy, there are people who say, the source is most important, e.g.
                  your good 1969 record player (dt.: Plattenspieler, I so very much love it), or the line out of your TV. I like to broaden that a little bit. My conviction is, without a good source,
                  a good sound converter (Schallwandler, e.g. headphone or loudspeakers) is nothing,
                  but a good source with a better sound converter is better than the other way round.

That's how I buy my headphones since more than 20 years, always rather a bit more quality than less. My discovery and really my recommendation up to the Ortofon 2M Blue pickup
                  (dt: Tonabnehmer) or even further (to the 2M Bronze) is the AKG K240 MKII headphone, who has his sources back in the year 1981 (!), afaik.
                  Only the good things are never changed. And I stick my K240 into all openings which I can find, into my TV, into my computer, I could swear I even must've tried it with my telephone...

And at least until today, the TV sounds better than the computer, but that might change. After more than 10 years, this year my computer signature (again) will change. But you'll see it when I've finished the project.

Back on topic. I said, that somehow Mr Mick Fleetwood (*1947) here is missing, for a legendary easter night. And here he is, Mr Mick Fleetwood on the drums, together with his band,
                  The Fleetwood Mac - Tusk (2004) . Live in Boston, only valid with the 5min58 version.

Happy easter on the drums for all of us.

PS: I somehow like tribute concerts, it shows that the humans can show a good portion of dignity when they really want. And 2022 must've been THE year for tributes. So why not continue with a Christine McVie tribute (1943-2022). Since 1970, she has been part of The Fleetwood Mac, married to
                  John McVie (*1945), the bassist of The Fleetwood Mc , three legendary musicians and singers, who - the drummer included - 1967 gave their names for a legendary music group,
                  The Fleetwood Mac together with Christine Mc Vie - Sara (1979), here in my playlist with the 6min25 version.
                  Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-04-12, 03:20. Reason: 2022, the year for big tributes..

Comment

Sometimes I really wonder which is the next step for me, I survived James Dean (died at the age of 24), I survived Elvis Presley (died at 42), ...
                    And I like to survive Coolio (died at 59).

My next step seems to be, I like to be here when Mr Shane Hawkins is as old as I am today. That includes the next 25 years, at least. Which definitely includes that I like to survive my father
                    (died at 64). I assume, that could also be a good next step for Shane, to become older than his father.

Really for you, Shane, with all my best wishes. In memoriam Taylor Hawkins (1972-2022).

PS: As I understand it, the attendance at Wembley must've been overwhelming, including Brian May of Queen, Roger Taylor of Queen, Paul McCartney of The Beatles, the band Supergrass with all members, Lars Ulrich of Metallica, Brian Johnson of AC/DC, Liam Gallagher of Oasis,
                    and with Wolfgang van Halen, I share one detail, we both have dead fathers (died w 64 or 65). Eddie van Halen (1955-2020) is the father of Wolfgang.
                    And for all of us who like to see again the year 1984 on our screens, This is Van Halen with Jump (1984):
                    Van Halen - Jump (Official Music Video)Brought to you by Van Halen's Official YouTube Channel: Van Halen TV.Listen to Jump here: https://lnk.to/VHJumpSTR♫ Su...

With the back then very blond David Lee Roth (*1954) on the microphone. After all these detail, and after all these dead fathers,
                    I like to say, 66 should be a minimum for Shane, for Wolfgang and for me.
                    Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-04-12, 06:05. Reason: Almost a little bit angry, so many dead men...

Comment

Well. The days and weeks go past, and since my last entry here in this topic, at least another two fathers have died, the one at the age of more than 90 years,
                      and I don't mean Mr Harry Belafonte (*01.03.1927-25.04.2023), who obviously is a prototype for all men who are born in March (Eastwood and me included) .... ...

How old is your eldest son when you're born in 1936. Good question, and I'll probably find that out still in this year.

What helps us through hard times, if not music. And why not my father's music, which is rather not David Eric (!) Grohl, but comparably rare on your radio. Mr Tony Christie (*1943).
                      Tony Christie - Don't go down to Reno (1972).
                      Tony Christie - Don't go down to Reno 1972In Reno town for a few dollars down you can buy yourself a separation. And say good-bye to the love and the life th...
                      Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-05-09, 22:07. Reason: At least two men share the letters D.E. ...

Comment

Now, for more than 40 years, I thought that Mr Clint Eastwood is born in March. And I can't tell you why... (obviously not all men are born in March).

So. let me correct my error. Mr Clint Eastwood (*31.05.1930 in San Francisco), and I hope he forgives me my mistake.

And now back on topic. Reno, San Francisco....

PS: Once You open this worldwide famous video platform, you see that you're not alone with your father's music. And I've known my father during 31 years, from my birth until his death in December 2009. 31 years is a good number, compared to Shane Hawkins, who lost his father much much earlier...
                        Again, one of my father's songs...
                        Middle of the Road - Soley Soley (1971).
                        Plus one detail for this song. The lead singer of Middle of the Road, Sally Carr owns numbers who really remind me of my father (*28.03.1945).
                        Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-05-09, 23:10. Reason: Not all people are born in March. But one or two or three.

Comment

I'm sorry, but now I have the key in my hand, the key why I only accept music, when there is a good guitar in it. There are things that you discover and you urgently wished that you discovered it together with your father, but for me that's no longer possible.

Mr Klaus Meine (*25.05.1948_) is the key. K.Meine & R.Schenker, or since 1969 better known as The Scorpions. And this is the song which since 1980 connects me with my father,
                          he had alway loved The Scorpions (and so I do), and somewhere among his sons or among his ex-wifes there still must exist at least one The Scorpions LP, with the following song on it,
                          only valid with 7min18:
                          The Scorpions - Lady Starlight (1980)
                          Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Sorry, but that song somehow reduces me to tears, since 40 years.....

PS: 'Remastered Audio', so, this video is online since almost exactly 10 years. And I assume what Joseph did, so that this 40 year old song
                          sounds like a 2023 song (!). First of all, I assume that he owns the Original Vinyl LP from 1980, with the name 'Animal Magnetism'.
                          And then he must have used a combination of AKG K 240 MKII, Ortofon 2M Blue and a really really good computer sound solution for line in.

It really doesn't sound like a 40 year old song, and I've only opened the video (see above).
                          Probably, Joseph is something like a sound engineer, or at least, since 10 or 20 years he knows
                          how to pack the full size unrestricted (!) sound of a Original 1980 Vinyl LP into a video.

I must confess, it also might depend a little bit on the device which you use to play that video. Here since more than 10 years I use
                          Asus motherboards with premium sound line in and line out (S/PDIF + 5 'premium sound' interfaces). And that A/D converter really pretty well corresponds
                          with the above mentioned headphone.
                          Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-05-10, 00:18. Reason: How to pack the great Original Vinyl LP 1980 sound into a video file.

Comment

Hm. Alex? If you have to kick me out then now is your occasion..

'Scorpions', as they are called - without the defined article, in contrast to 'The Beatles', are really a connection between my father and me. He and me have been a bit unlucky during the past 40 years, and so he died 2009 at the age of 64,
                            without that we had the chance to visit a 'Scorpions' concert together. I have (more than) another one video, ...

Scorpions - Is there anybody there who feels that vibration (1979).
                            And I've discovered a video version with an at least acceptable sound (played on the previously mentioned headphone). Schenker with an acoustic guitar (!), and it doesn't fit so very bad on him,
                            although I know this song as a 1990 version (?!) with Schenker and his E-guitar.

This version is 'Scorpions' Live from the Abbey 'Convento do Beato' near Lisboa, Portugal, again with a pretty decent sound (!), recorded Live, May 2001 in Portugal.

I only discovered the concert location because Meine uses the word 'Obrigado', which is one of only two words which I know in português.

And it appears as if Meine & Schenker operate a so called 'official' youtube channel. Which I don't want to leave unmentioned.
                            Scorpions - Send Me An Angel (1991).
                            In a version with an internet audience of 340 million people, more than 4 million followers, and more than 40.000 comments:
                            "I am 80 years old and am never tired of listening to them".

Yes, the same goes with me, although I'm only 45. As I said, music for father and son.
                            REMASTERED IN HD!Official Music Video for Send Me An Angel performed by Scorpions.Listen to our new album "Rock Believer" now: https://scorpions.lnk.to/RockB...

Comment

I (again) just imagine what had happened during the past 40 years if I had become a radio moderator.

Probably I still wouldn't have had my favorite female singers life in the studio, because your name has probably to be Howard Stern (*1954) or Jimmy Fallon (*1974) to have someone of these
                              life in the studio next to your microphone: Sia (*December 1975) with her song 'Chandelier', Alicia Keys (*January 1981) with her song 'Empire State of Mind (Part II)'
                              or Pink (*September 1979) together with her daughter Willow in the video 'Cover Me In Sunshine', which is so beautiful, it still makes me speechless everytime it runs on TV.

Now. This topic has been opened by me, so I somehow should find a way back on topic. Where is the combination with aviation.

You can help me with that. Three times NYC, one detail with Adelaide (Australia), and one detail with L.A. (imho, I'm not quite sure).

Only one of these airports is a problem for a LH-B744 nonstop flight. That was also a topic during the Eurovision Song Contest 2023. If Australia (!) had won,
                              my home airport would've stepped in (if you ask me), because from here, 25 of 26 participants in the ESC final 2023 can be reached with a nonstop flight.
                              Plus also NYC.

Australia didn't win in fact. And for Peter Urban (*1948_), the German voice behind the ESC since 1997, I had wished a better ESC result for his home country,
                              on his last day behind the ESC microphone, which was Saturday May 13th 2023.
                              Probably a little bit too much pyrotechnics, a little bit too much grunting and shouting (!), a little bit too little singing, the lack of a good melody, a little bit too many unshaved men on stage,

a little bit of too little which for a woman would take the telephone in her hand (and I've already discussed that during 15 or 30 minutes...),

a little bit of too little (dt.: zu wenig) women on stage,

which for Germany resulted in #26 (of 26), after all 25 juries had voted. And even after the audience telephone calls, it became obvious, too little Dark Rock enthusiasts worldwide
                              to win with such a contribution.

And even I had not voted for Germany, if I had been able to (voting for your own country was not possible).

Norway and Belgium would've been my favorites in the ESC 2023, if I had used my telephone for voting.

Nevertheless, dear greetings to Mr Urban, and a better future for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X