X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leftseat86
    I thought Pearl Harbor was ridiculous.

-Clovis
    Exactly. It was a dumb love story with glitzy efects. If anybody really wants to see a good movie on Parl Harbor, "Tora! Tora! Tora!" is what you're loking for.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Pearl Harbor (new) was made during a time of high popularity of War movies. It feeded off patriotism and success of Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line to get money.

I think the Thin Red Line was one of the greatest war movies I have seen in a long time. It was philosophical as well as historically accurate. Some of the scenes in the movie were the most beautiful I have seen, and I really would like to visit the Marshalls and Guadalcanal someday.

-Clovis

Comment

Almost all of the best war movies ever made are the ones that go into a soldiers mind and show his/her tortured thoughts. They are often anti-war movies (Platoon, Apocolypse Now). The ones I hate the most are the ones that glorify war.
        Earl From Regina

Comment

Tora, Tora, Tora
          Saving Private Ryan
          Patton
          The Patriot
          The great Escape

Comment

We Were Soldiers
            Saving Private Ryan
            Memphis Belle
            Black Hawk Down

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
              Originally posted by Leftseat86
              I thought Pearl Harbor was ridiculous.

-Clovis
              Exactly. It was a dumb love story with glitzy efects. If anybody really wants to see a good movie on Parl Harbor, "Tora! Tora! Tora!" is what you're loking for.
              Ditto. I only saw it because of the music (soundtracks are my favorite genre). Other than that I think it was some what of an affront to the memory of PH vets--with all the inaccuracies, and not to mention the uncessary love story .

Anyhow, in no particular order:

=Von Ryan's Express
              =A Bridge Two Far (Can't beat Michael Caine, Sean Conrey, and Anthony Hopkins all in the same movie)
              =Father Goose (Alright, alright, I know it isn't typically a war movie, but it is set during WW II in the South Pacific--not to mention, good ole Cary Grant)
              CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Saving Private Ryan.

One of the things i love about that movie is the accuracy. Based on a true story (except i believe the actual case was in the Pacific Islands can anyone confirm?). Well executed, what more can i say.

Pearl Harbour.
                POOR, POOR, POOR
                Been ages ago since i saw it but damn thats pretty much what me see now. the love story was irrelevant to the whole thing etc etc.

Band Of Brothers,
                Dont think i need to say much

Black Hawk Down,
                Watched it so many times. love it.

Windtalkers
                At the start i was thinking, damn this is gonna have an awesoem ending. I was disappointed with the way to predictable ending

What im planning on seeing,
                Toro Tora Tora (we rented it but out DVD player couldnt handle it, we have since got a new one)
                D-DAY, (despite the fact its meant to be really really inaccurate)
                and a couple of others
                Sam Rudge
                A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

My top 3 personal favourites:
                  Full Metal Jacket
                  Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
                  Das Boot

(Kubrick connection? )

And the classics...
                  Great Escape
                  Bridge on the River Kwai

Comment

Originally posted by Legend_Airlines
                    My top 3 personal favourites:
                    [b]Full Metal Jacket
                    Hey, Ive got that on DVD, maybe ill watch it next weekend
                    Sam Rudge
                    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

For maximum enjoyment, make sure that the censoring is off <G>

Comment

I only saw it because of the music
                        If you like good soundtracks, watch "The Thin red Line" . Hans Zimmer is a genious...

-Clovis

Comment

Saving Private Ryan- The film is really well done. I think that I have watched the D-Day sequence alone about 12 times.

Apocolypse Now- Another very good war movie. Sheen is great.

Enemy At The Gates- A great movie about one of the absolutely brutal theaters in WW2

Full Metal Jacket- Kubrick made a masterpiece with this one. There is no "major malfunction" with this movie.

Windtalkers- Great movie that brought the contribution of the Navajo in WW2 to the public.

We Were Soldiers- Very, very good.

Hamburger Hill was alright.
                          It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

The 2 BEST war movies in my opinion are:
                            1. We Were Soldiers
                            2. Black Hawk Down

Comment

Working...
                            X