Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightning Show in Dallas Tonight (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Show in Dallas Tonight (with pics)

I took these from my apartment balcony HAND HELD with a Nikon CoolPix 3100. Quite a light show.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Whoa momma nature

I live in Townsville (Australia- North Queensland) and in the hot summer months from November to March we have the wet season. Frequently there are enormous lightning shows between the hours of 4pm and 3am.

Mostly i remember it being sheet lightning (different to fork lightning, as sheet is like a large blanket of light which goes from one side of the sky to the next) but last year we started to get some incredible shows of the forked variety.

I just about had a fit a few months ago because of one peal of thunder-it was extremely shrill, unbelieveably sharp (next to no rumble) and sounded like one hundred million bones being broken at once. It made me really jump, it seriously was probably the worst sound I had ever been live witness to. It was right overhead- lightning and sound wave came at the same time.

Another time my mum and I were watching TV at about 3.30pm and all the channels went out. I went and looked out the front door towards mount stuart (where the tv broadcast antennas are) and could only see this really big deep purple cloud. It was churning and rolling over itself too!!!

Oh my gosh it can be a bit scary living in the tropics...............

TangoSierraVictor
    Australia bound!
    Sep 3 ICN-KIX JL964 767
    Sep 3~4 KIX-BNE JL777 747

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierraVictor
      I lived in the tropics, well on the Texas coast which is officially a tropical climate. We always had the threat of a hurricane (typhoon) each summer plus the occasional tornado. I'd love to vitit Australia someday.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
        I lived in the tropics, well on the Texas coast which is officially a tropical climate. We always had the threat of a hurricane (typhoon) each summer plus the occasional tornado. I'd love to vitit Australia someday.
        Don't get me started on hurricanes!

Comment

Yeah we have some pretty bad hurricanes here in the Mid Atlantic. Hurricane Isabel came through back in September, tons of damage plus 9 powerless days here in Williamsburg.
          GO SIOUX

Comment

Originally posted by PHF2ATL
            Yeah we have some pretty bad hurricanes here in the Mid Atlantic. Hurricane Isabel came through back in September, tons of damage plus 9 powerless days here in Williamsburg.
            Mid Atlantic + hurricanes = thunderstorm
            It's much worse down south when the hurricanes haven't hit any cold water yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyCharlestonSC
              Originally posted by PT737SWA
              Don't get me started on hurricanes!
              First off, GREAT PICTURES!

Second, I love hurricanes! The Bigger the better!

Heck, I like all weather. Tornadoes, Hail, Damaging Wind, Lightning, Flooding, SNOW!

not to mention EARTHQUAKES(ok, that's not weather, but it's a natural disaster which is what weather disasters are).
              Brent

Comment

We get cyclones (basically the same as hurricanes/typhoons) here in Townsville during the summer months. It interesting because Townsville's position on the coast sort of suggests we should get hit by a cyclone every year...we are quite exposed and sort of square in the middle of the major firing line (at least I think so). However the cyclone is very unpredictable and goes wherever. We get missed almost every time.

I've never seen any cyclone stronger than a medium strength category 2, and all that really did was pull really old branches off trees and make the power lines swing and spark.

The last really bad one to hit Townsville was on the 24th and 25th of December 1971, the winds reached around 225/240 kilometres per hour:

Townsville's Strand after the cyclone, from http://www.townsville.nu/cyclones.htm

TangoSierraVictor
                Australia bound!
                Sep 3 ICN-KIX JL964 767

Comment

I'm pretty sure that cyclone was the one that took the roof off our house ... 1971 sounds about right.

ADG
                  ADG
                  No makeovers please .....

Comment

ADG said:

I'm pretty sure that cyclone was the one that took the roof off our house ... 1971 sounds about right.
                    Likewise to our garage...I think that the airport might've gotten some new building materials from us...

TangoSierraVictor
                    Australia bound!
                    Sep 3 ICN-KIX JL964 767

Comment

Hey NICE Pics!!!!!!
                      I always wanted to get some lightning but haven't been lucky yet.

This is a pic during August down here in Miami. I took this pic in Hollywood (KHWO) where I fly. You can see 3 of our small and humble Katanas just looking towards that huge roll cloud coming in front of the storm!!! It was quite a rainy day...

We have been lucky these couple of years...no hurricanes yet!
                      CostaRicaAviation.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I had a nice thunderstorm up here last night, no pictures though. I think there were about 3 separate squalls passed through. Good times...

Comment

sweet pics. we used to live just outside of maypearl, just south of the metroplex, and everytime a storm was approaching i was outside with my camera. best pics i got were the ones that moved past around sunset. even got that big storm in 2002 on vid. it's awesome. love natural phenomenons.
                          -ryan-

if you want to see some of my pics, just email me and i'll see what i can do

Comment

A tornado touched down in DeKalb, Illinois last night, straght on path for my city, but we were lucky- at the last minute it turned and avoided Downtown Batavia, where I live.

Pretty scary outside, I was down in the basement for a while.

Patrick

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
                            October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

But Patrick, you can't take pictures for us to see when you're in the basement! :P
                              George R. Widener
                              Oshkosh, WI USA
                              Aircraft Photos Here
                              Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Working...
                              X