Your Favorite Racetrack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Racetrack?

Well. Laguna Seca? Or rather Pines Peak, or Daytona? I am quite happy with my avatar, which if you like is a vehicule from Seattle.

But my 'home airport' concerning race tracks is rather in Europe. Spa-Francorchamps, Monza, Zandvoort, ....

Or, last but not least, Nürburgring Nordschleife.

I'm online early in the race, because I have a question. The smallest car which you'd use for one of the classic racetracks? If you don't own an AMG 63?

PS: I know that 'Touristenfahrten' do not officially require a minimum of horsepower.
    But your Fiat Panda theoretically must be able to be faster than 130 km/h (vmax on the paper).

But if you ask me, with clearly less than 190 hp, I'd only like to use one of these tracks when I'm alone, no one else ahead or (more important) behind you.
    Compare Ford Transit Lieferwagen, with the default 80 hp Diesel engine (!).

Your opinion?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

My favourite track ? Well, to drive on it has to be Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire. I raced there a few times on a 250cc kart. Lots of elevation changes including going airborne on “The Mountain”
    For GP racing to watch on TV it has to be Spa. F1 cars flat out through Eau Rouge is breath taking to see.
    And then we come to the old Nurburgring. I would dearly love to drive something quick round there.
    I had a plan to do two or three laps around the Ring with Sabine Schmitz but she sadly passed away before that plan could be realised. Such a huge loss to motor sport. Sabine, driving a Ford Transit van famously went faster than Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson who was driving a top of the range Jaguar ! She is greatly missed.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2023-05-21, 11:14.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Now finally, a place to talk about my username……
      It’s pretty self-explanatory, no? Loyal supporter of Merecedes-AMG Petronas F1 team, and an AMG road car fan as well.
      The 63 originally came from what was often stuck onto the back of many classic AMGs, like the absolutely animal W204 C63 Black Editon with its 6.2L V8 (unfortunately the latest C63 gets half the cylinders……) and the wacky R63 super-MPV. Not to mention the new SL63, an absolute beauty imho. Other 63s like the CLS63 and E63, S63, G63 are also a love of mine. (Just hoping AMG can bring the fire back with some good old normally aspirated 6+ liter engines rather than the twin turbos, electric motors and inline fours everywhere……)
      After a certain George Russell got his well-deserved seat with the Silver Arrows, the association with 63 only became stronger, hence the gamertag-like username.
      Now for my favorite tracks, the strong F1 association brings some classic tracks to mind (Spa, Monza, Silverstone). Silverstone is definitely a gem for fans, F1 never gets boring there New tracks like Baku also present some exciting races to savor (though I’d say this year’s race is rather processional with Red Bull’s total dominance……)
      As for the best tracks to race on (albeit on the simulator), Spa is an absolute classic, Suzuka is quite technical, but Mugello, with its plethora of high speed corners and roller coaster altitude shifts is definitely my favorite. (The 2020 race there was action-packed as well, it should get back on the race calendar!)

As a footnote I’ve been quite hoping for A6-BLV (Etihad Airways F1 Livery) to make a visit to ZSPD, the combination of aviation and racing is a dream come true! The Azul Airlines Senna Livery and the original F1 livery on the Etihad A340-600 are sorely missed.
      (Not to mention a certain trio with their heads emblazoned onto the tails of some DHL cargo planes……That’s right, we’re talking about you, The Grand Tour presenters!)

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        My favourite track ? Well, to drive on it has to be Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire. I raced there a few times on a 250cc kart. Lots of elevation changes including going airborne on “The Mountain”
        For GP racing to watch on TV it has to be Spa. F1 cars flat out through Eau Rouge is breath taking to see.
        And then we come to the old Nurburgring. I would dearly love to drive something quick round there.
        I had a plan to do two or three laps around the Ring with Sabine Schmitz but she sadly passed away before that plan could be realised. Such a huge loss to motor sport. Sabine, driving a Ford Transit van famously went faster than Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson who was driving a top of the range Jaguar ! She is greatly missed.
        Ah, good old Sabine, the Queen of the Nordschleife! So sad to hear of her passing back then, truly a racing legend. The Nurburgring is a true classic, would really love to conquer the “Green Hell” someday.

Comment

Working...
        X