Sasser virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sasser virus

Some of you might already know about it and be protected, but for our fellow posters using Windows that doesn't know about the Blaster twin "Sasser" I urgue you to see this and protect yourselves.

Also search for a file called "avserve" or look if "avserve" is present in the processes tab when pressing control+alt+del
    That file is related to the virus.
    If you have a firewall you might not have much problems, but for prevention close ports 445 and 9996.

More info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-011.mspx

Click Here to view my aircraft photos on here!
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos...over there!

Comment

haha I never would have though that WinME was good for anything..but look what I found on Microsoft.com

Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are addressed in this security bulletin?
      No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition.
      ....still...Microsoft sucks. I need to get me a G5 with OS-X

Andre
      CostaRicaAviation.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Sheesh, this world is small. An 18-year old student from my state is supposed to have created this worm, and I have even been to his hometown several times!

This just goes to show how secure MS OSs are.

Comment

Is this the one that's going around and once you get it, it shuts down your computer after 60 seconds?

Apparently, that virus is deadly!

Comment

Originally posted by EGCC
            Is this the one that's going around and once you get it, it shuts down your computer after 60 seconds?

Apparently, that virus is deadly!
            Yes. It apparently isn't destructive to your computer(as far as erasing files), but it's a pain in the ***.

The guy that created it was an 18-year-old I think. Some people need a life.
            Brent

Comment

Think there's a new ver going around that does have avserve.exe or avserve2.exe in the C:\Windows dir, neither does it have the win.log in C:\...

Virus creates an FTP server on your PC and FTp's out the virus to other machines.

Comment

Originally posted by aquiros
                haha I never would have though that WinME was good for anything..but look what I found on Microsoft.com

Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are addressed in this security bulletin?
                No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition.

Andre
                Good luck, since you cant hardly do anything on a Mac. Half the programs wont work on Macs. Few people use, those are real pieces of schiest.

Comment

Originally posted by tsentsan
                  Think there's a new ver going around that does have avserve.exe or avserve2.exe in the C:\Windows dir, neither does it have the win.log in C:\...

Virus creates an FTP server on your PC and FTp's out the virus to other machines.
                  That's Sasser! Avserve. You can find it by pressing Control-Alt-Delete I think.

Brent

Comment

Originally posted by aquiros

Andre
                    The reason Microsoft seems to have "so many problems" is because more people use it. They have by far the most widely used OS. When hackers and what-not want to influence and affect people, they develop programs/viruses to attack Windows PCs. If any of the competing OSs became more popular than Windows, you'd see them full of problems, too.
                    Will F.
                    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

I have Windows ME so i couldn't give a monkeys about the Sasser virus.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns

Good luck, since you cant hardly do anything on a Mac. Half the programs wont work on Macs. Few people use, those are real pieces of schiest.
                        Whoah, Chris, you need to read up on macs.

I've had mine for 2 years without a crash running OSX. And your statement about programs running on a Mac is just stupid. I have 3000+ post using Mac software and 774 pics in d/b that were edited using software running on a MAc.

Comment

Sasser virus

I've had mine for 2 years without a crash running OSX. And your statement about programs running on a Mac is just stupid. I have 3000+ post using Mac software and 774 pics in d/b that were edited using software running on a MAc.
                          It obviously is different from computer to computer. The Mac I use at work tends to crash every single day, and there are several problem that always stop because of a "Error 2", "Error 3", etc, while my XP has only crashed 4-5 times in one year, and to date I have never suffered a virus attack or a Trojan Horse. If you have enough security (Norton, Symantec, AOL 9.0 ), you definitely have better cards to get through virus attacks. Btw, and important tip: If you need any kind of security software, go to
                          http://www.majorgeeks.com/
                          They have everything you need, including updated virus definitions, spam blockers etc. Very useful site .

-Colin

Comment

Windows 2000 has never crashed.

I've been using it for 4 years.
                            Will F.
                            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

I agree. Windows Operating Systems rarely crash. The issue isn't the OS but the USERS. People to often blame the tools when it's their own ignorance causing the issue.

Indeed, if you read about their viruses VERY CAREFULLY you will see that they will not affect those who keep their machines updated and patched. Even Microsofts site was compromised because their own staff didn't bother to keep their machines updated.

The reason you don't see so many viruses on Macs is simple ... look at the percentage of macs on the internet compared to windows based machines.

Those who get security advisories will know that they're not limited to Microsoft and those who pay attention would know that there are multitude of insecurity issues with other OS's than Microsoft.

My machine doesn't crash ... i've not been hacked (then again, nor has my Linux server).

ADG
                              ADG
                              No makeovers please .....

Comment

Working...
                              X