Cicada Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cicada Pics

Actually all they are, are shells. I saw them in my yard so I figured someone would enjoy them.

Very interesting, disgusting, and strangely fascinating.

I have not seen one cicada yet this year

Although i have seen them in other years but not alive. There aer these big bees that kill the cicada and live in holes. So if you attack and kill the bee when it's retruning to its hole with a cicada you can steal the cicada, i did it when i was smaller... pretty funny

Comment

Greg, you're gonna be getting a whole lot more.

These are 17-year cicadas, and this happens to be the 17th year, when 4 billion cicadas come out of the ground and breed for 5 weeks in the midwest and east coast. They are called 'Breed X'.

It's really interesting to read up about then on the net. They are supposed to be extremely noisy and irritating, but harmless nevertheless.
      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Cicada Pics

I've seen some footage of them in the DC area on TV yesterday . Sometimes you just gotta wonder: "What is the evolutionary sense here?" Interesting to observe nonetheless.

-Colin

Comment

They actually aren't that annoying. The best comparison is to a Diesel engine idling off in the distance.

If I have time later I'll record the sound.

Comment

Working...
          X