Public Transport- Subways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Transport- Subways

Stemming from the MTA photo ban topic...

What are your favorite public transportation/subway systems? Do you have one where you live/do you ride it?

Around here, I ride the rails to work every day, and try to ride public transportation as much as possible. There is a high speed train which goes from Atlantic City to Philadelphia in just over an hour (I ride it to work in the mornings), which connects with the subway at Lindenwold. The train I ride looks like this:

Out of all the subway systems I've been on (alot of them), I'd have to say there's nothing like the NYC subway. Going from totally new construction (like the Roosevelt Island station) to some of the oldest subway stations in the USA (like the Times Square IRT shuttle platform), it is one of a kind.

In terms of niceness and creativity, my thoughts immediately go to one of the US cities with the "modern" metro systems-- San Francisco, Atlanta, Baltimore, Los Angeles, Washington, etc. Washington, DC's MetroRail definately takes the cake.

However, even though it may be a decrepid, maligned, and underutilized system, I'd have to take Philadelphia's subway system as my favorite. I grew up with the system down the block from me, and still ride it often.

www.acairport.com

In the Paris area we got
    RATP,Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens/ the Paris Mass transit Corporation which runs
    -14 lines of subway
    -2 lines of tramway, one along the northern rim of Paris (T1), the other along the western one (T2), work now under way to link both.
    -5 lines of express suburban trains, RER/Réseau Express Régional A/B/C/D/E operated in conjunction with the railway company. Each line is two pronged at both end except the western part of A which is 3-progonded.
    -hundreds of bus lines, downtown and many suburban areas as well.
    On its side SNCF/Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer/the railways corporation's suburban network serves lots of communities from stations of Saint-Lazare, Montparnasse and Gare de l'Est (Eastern station) which are the real head/ends of lines unlike Gare du Nord (North), de Lyon and Austerlitz which are en route stops along the ways.
    When not on strike, the system is very good and has become user friendly even for non french speakers as far the RATP is concerned.
    The latter came up with 3 language-information signs.
    Those signs always feature French / English + 3rd language which changes depending the area and station you're close by
    -areas around both North and East stations, together with La Défense : German
    -south parts around Austerlitz : Spanish
    -south parts around Gare de Lyon + Saint Michel : Italian
    All brochures + many posters come up in all 5 languages + Japanese
    -subway come up at a minute time gap between two
    -depending the areas, trains whichever their colors, run on an average 8 to 15 minutes frequency
    -tramways run every 2 to 5 minutes
    -buses usually run every 10 minutes
    But when on strike (more and more rarely), quips and nasty nicknames sprung out again
    RATP : Rentre Avec Tes Pieds (Go Back on your Feet)
    RER : Réseau extrêmement Ralenti (Extremely Slowed down Network)
    Actually, the ones who wage strikes most of the time are the railways.
    More to come with the mass transit system I had the opportunity to use
    Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Beijing,
      one subway line, clean, a central platform served by both way running trains, pretty frequent. More lines would be cool.
      buses are increasingly air conditionned and pretty confortable. The bia here : they often get quagmirred in traffic jams.
      Hong Kong
      Apreciated every thing
      -the subway
      -the double deckker tramway
      -the two frontal exits of the green and white ferries crossing the Kowloon Bay in between
      Tokyo
      Although pretty confusing at start, just nothing to add, near perfect.
      Seoul (1991)
      -subway good, would have desserved more lines to get a A mark
      -on the outside, buses acting as kinda of connectors and complementors to subways.
      Singapore
      -subway, safe, clean, frequent, well signed, just near perfection
      -bus lines same
      Probably, one of the most efficient I have ever seen.
      Buenos Aires (1988, 1992)
      -subway : loved
      -the live "collection" side as each line came up with its particular rolling stock, from older to newer.
      -position of network and possibilities to cross-use with the plentyful collectivos to cover up for lack of frequencies and better reach areas not served by the subway.
      -hated : lack of practical links between the different lines.
      Santiago (1992, 1994)
      -Subway, clean, quick, pretty extensive, easy connection between the 2 lines, pretty complemented by buses.
      -my bias, as with many, the basic cross shaped network structure crying for more prongs and more lines.
      List goes on
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Other cities with good overall impressions
        Caracas
        Rio de Janeiro
        Sao Paulo
        San Francisco
        Seattle
        - buses are pretty extensive, they run to both Seatac and BFI/King County and even farther. Things give the impression to be organized the european way : frequencies and multi-progonded lines. Actually an average frequency of 15 minutes instead of 30 would be just perfect.
        Also loved the free-ride zone encompassing the downtown area. A real one to lure people out of their cars, this idea should be importated here.
        Overall mark : 8 / 10
        I remember the majority of european cities to harbour nice and well organized systems, even those without either tram or subway, to the exception of .....
        ATHENS, just plain crap, was till that 10 years ago, hope for their best interest to have REALLY reworked everything for the Olympics.
        Time for the worst ...
        Dakar
        Abidjan
        Douala
        Yaoundé
        Libreville
        Lagos
        Pointe Noire
        Be sure to get your transport or go by CAB by specifying "Pas de ramassage / No pick up on the way".
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

London Tube for me, i dont live far from London and everytime i go into London I get a oneday pass for public transport. Tube's great, its regular (although theres sometimes a LONG wait and then 2 come at once).

Theres OLD and NEW as well at London, heres some pics i took a while (years...) ago :

Covent Garden - OLD.

Morden with Northern Line tube shown. - OLD

New side - London Bridge for Jubilee Line (extention).

Canary Wharf - another New modern station for Jubilee Line.

Unfortunately, public mainline service is hit or miss, many complain about them but when they're running fine, they're good (Thameslink:

Comment

San fransico's 'BART' is an awesome way to see the bay area.

Also D.C. 'Metro' is a great way to go planespotting without having to drive the D.C. beltway.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
              Also D.C. 'Metro' is a great way to go planespotting without having to drive the D.C. beltway.
              I take the SEPTA R1 (Philadelphia Airport Express) line when I go spotting at PHL... it's much quicker and gets rid of all the traffic.

Also, once or twice when I've gone "spotting" at JFK from the Rockaways, I've ridden New York City's Airport "Express" subway, which in reality is pretty slow.

I know they just built a New Jersey Transit metro station at EWR airport, and supposedly one is being "studied" for ACY, but I ain't seen anything yet.

The EWR NJTrail station.

What the ACY NJTrail station would look like; all the stations on the line look the same (I use this station for work).
              www.acairport.com

Comment

Here in HK we have two rail networks that are expected to merge in the near future: the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) and the KCR (Kowloon Canton Railway). The first one runs five urban lines and the Airport Express, while the second operates two lines which branch out into the city's suburbs and a few smaller, associated lines outside the city.

The first two types of trains are used on the blue, red, green and purple lines (Island, Tsuen Wan,
                Kwun Tong and Tseung Kwan O Lines respectively); the third type is operated on the orange line
                (the Tung Chung Line) and the fourth, blue type is the Airport Express train.
                ______________________________________________________________________________

The first type of train is operated on the East Rail line which runs right up to the border with Mainland
                China, the second runs on the new West Rail line which was opened late last year, and the last one is
                an electric tram used as a feeder to the West Rail (and also as a local, suburbian network in the north
                -western part of HK).

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
                  Here in HK we have two rail networks that are expected to merge in the near future: the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) and the KCR (Kowloon Canton Railway). The first one runs five urban lines and the Airport Express, while the second operates two lines which branch out into the city's suburbs and a few smaller, associated lines outside the city.
                  That's it for Hong Kong's Metro? I always expected it to be a much more expansive system.

Not known by many, NYC actually has subways operated by 2 companies as well. The first one, MTA, operates most of the city subway lines (former IRT, IND, and BMT lines; all the lettered, numbered, ones, etc).

This is a map of the MTA NYC subway system; and very confusing at that.

There is also a smaller system, operated by the Port Authority (PATH), that is the subway lines that go to the World Trade Center and New Jersey; A.k.a New York's second subway.

As you can see, the PATH system is much smaller than that of the MTA.
                  www.acairport.com

Comment

We have the Metro, a fast, cheap, safe transportation system operating since 1995. The only one in Colombia. I use it whenever I can.

http://www.metrodemedellin.org.co

Some pics:

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                      Buenos Aires (1988, 1992)
                      -subway : loved
                      -the live "collection" side as each line came up with its particular rolling stock, from older to newer.
                      -position of network and possibilities to cross-use with the plentyful collectivos to cover up for lack of frequencies and better reach areas not served by the subway.
                      -hated : lack of practical links between the different lines.
                      Buenos Aires

- Subway: All the 5 lines are being expanded in order to reach all the city. A 6th line is being constructed as a link between the other lines. It will go from Pompeya (South) to Palermo (North). Price: 0.70 peso (0.24 US dollar).

- Bus: The "Colectivo" is the best public transport in Buenos Aires. You can get absolutely everywhere with it, though it can be slow sometimes. Buses are quite comfortable except in the rush (self-explained). Prices vary from 0.75 to 1.25 pesos (0.25 to 0.42 US dollars).

- Train: Local trains administrated by TBA (Trenes de Buenos Aires) are very good, especially the Retiro-Tigre branch of the Ferrocarril Mitre. Service is faster than bus.
                      On the other hand, the ones administrated by Metropolitano are quite bad. I highly recommend avoiding them.

Comment

Originally posted by Avianca 757
                        We have the Metro, a fast, cheap, safe transportation system operating since 1995. The only one in Colombia. I use it whenever I can.
                        From the pictures you showed me, it looks nice and conveinent! Actually, it looks alot like the Metro in Miami, FL:

www.acairport.com

Comment

http://urbanrail.net/

Out of all the urban rails I've been on, my favorate was Hong Kongs. Seoul's is in second place (and they've really expanded it the last five years). Sao Paulo's gets an honorable mention.

Alain:

I agree with you. Athens' metro is a disgrace. It was actually built on two underground railroad lines and they didn't do much to upgrade it all this time. Now, they're trying at the last minute to spruce things up for the games.

Comment

Another great site is Dave Pirmann's www.nycsubway.org , of which I am a contributor and long time, satisfied user. They feature "station by station" guides, with detailed descriptions and photos of every line and station in the NYC system, as well as others around the world.

Their website for the NYC subway station-by-station guide:

www.nycsubway.org

For the Around NY/NJ station-by-station guides:

www.nycsubway.org/nyc

For everywhere else in the USA/world

http://world.nycsubway.org
                            www.acairport.com

Comment

This summer I want to ride Amtrak up to NY and get an all day pass or similar and ride it around. And maybe hit LGA or JFK.

I also want to take the PATH into the former WTC site.

Comment

Working...
                              X