Dubai, Dubai or Dubai, UAE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubai, Dubai or Dubai, UAE?

I know this is a dumb question, but I'm constantly being confused by various sources that tell me both ways. So here's my question:

Where does Dubai belong? Is it an independent city-state (like SIN) or does it belong to United Arab Emirates?

UAE

Comment

Dubai, UAE.

UAE has following cities: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Fujairah, Ras-al-Khaimah, Al Ain, and few others.
      Airline Route News
      Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

Dubai is not an independent city state like SIN nor is it the capital city of UAE (United Arab Emirates). Dubai is the major and the biggest city of the Middle East Country called UAE.
        You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I thought too, but want to make clear.
          So Dubai, UAE it is! Wish I can go to this paradise one day...

Comment

Originally posted by jiml1126
            UAE has following cities: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Fujairah, Ras-al-Khaimah, Al Ain, and few others.
            Actually the UAE is made up of seven semi-independent emirates, so Dubai is sometimes counted as a separate entity (e.g. I have seen articles saying Dubai is Hong Kong's largest trading partner in the Middle East). Regarding the names of each emirate, I can only think of the five Jim listed above and Sharjah.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Spot on, Asian Brushstroke.

Of the U.A.E.'s seven emirates, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are by far the most powerful. I guess Sharjah might be up there, too. But whereas six of them are quite federalist, Dubai is fiercely independent. It does not like being bossed around by the other six (primarily led by Abu Dhabi). I've even heard that Dubai will sometimes negotiate with the rest of OPEC separately to Abu Dhabi and the rest of the UAE. Sometimes if the rest of the UAE votes in OPEC to cut production, Dubai might vote separately to increase production. Not sure how they do that, though. The other six emirates tend to give Dubai a LOT of latitude though.

FYI: I Dubai! (And Sharjah is pretty cool, too. I really want to see Abu Dhabi as well)
              AIRIGAMI.NET
              http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

By the way, there's a possibility that I might be going to Dubai for a Model United Nations (MUN) conference this year. It's in November, and it's all expenses paid except for airfare!

Another thing is that whoever participates gets to stay in a 5-star hotel; plus the air tickets would be really cheap, since November is a low season (choice between CX and EK). But personally I'd like to visit Beirut first, as I find Lebanon a really fascinating country.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

The UAE is great, I have been there 3 times to date. Indeed Brushstroke and Airigami are spot on with there descriptions of this Gulf Emirate. Definetly woth the visit if you in the region. The UAE and Bahrain as well as Oman (though I have yet to visit Oman) are very much open to the outside visitiors unlike Saudi.

Aldo

Comment

Working...
                  X