SOCAL Earthquakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOCAL Earthquakes

i'm sure you Socal guys felt it but as of approx 3:28pm, a 5.1 magnitude earthquake shook many portains of Socal including San diego. The epicenter was 30 miles westof Tijuana. Also, a minute later, a 4.7 magnitude quake rocked the Mojave Desert, 11 miles from Edwards AFB.

Kevin

Charleston sits on 2 faults that cross each other...people say we are long overdue for a major earthquake, as our last one was in the 1800s.

I have only felt 1 or 2, though.

Kind of scary!

Comment

KEVIN!!!!! Thought you were out to sea??????

Comment

Actually, there was only one earthquake. It was a 5.2 and located about 35 miles SW of San Diego (almost due west of Rosarito, MX). USGS stated that since there are no sensors in the area of the quake, the existing sensors had a hard time figuring out where the quake was and so they were showing the Mojave quake also.

It was an interesting ride. I work on the second floor of a three-story building. The initial jolt moved my chair. Our first thought was that a vehicle had hit the building. But since the floor continued to shake for some time (about 5 seconds) we realized it was a quake and started to grab the radios. I work for the County, and in a disaster we are automatically disaster workers. We wanted to be sure that we weren't staying at work.

Comment

KEVIN!!!!! Thought you were out to sea??????
          Brother Steve, Are you ok? I heard the info about the earthquakes from the C.O. I am still on the boat for another 3 months. Friday, we'll be in Victoria, Canada for a few days then ventures towards Hawaii after that. The last few weeks, we were in Northern Alaska participating on an exercise.

Cya,

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

Good to hear from you! Those quakes were over 400 miles away from me, didnt feel them at all.

Comment

Working...
            X