4.5 Earthquake rattles Midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.5 Earthquake rattles Midwest

(6/28/04) — Many were shaken awake early this morning when an earthquake struck the Midwest. The quake was felt in Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana and Iowa. Officials at the U.S. Geological Survey in Colorado say the quake was magnitude 4.5, and its epicenter was about eight miles northwest of Ottawa in northern Illinois. The rural area is about 70 miles west of Chicago.

Initial reports indicated no major damage from the temblor, although police agencies and radio stations within the quake area were inundated with telephone calls. The quake was felt at Illinois nuclear power plants in Quad Cities, LaSalle and Dresden. Exelon Corporation owns the three generating stations. A company spokesman says the Nuclear Regulatory Commission declared an "unusual alert" for all of them, although there appeared to be no damage.

---------------------------------
    This scared the hell out of me. I was in my room on the computer at about 1:05am last night because I could not sleep when I heard this rumble and the windows rattled and mine slammed shut. The ground rumbled...for about 5 seconds.

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
    October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Didn't feel or hear anything up here in Oshkosh...must have been too far north.
    George R. Widener
    Oshkosh, WI USA
    Aircraft Photos Here
    Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

unusual to have a quake in IL, there was also one off the coast of alaska this morning
      He who expected nothin......aint gonna be deceived-JR

Comment

Wierd--I was in Chicago this morning...

Comment

Originally posted by cal99
          unusual to have a quake in IL, there was also one off the coast of alaska this morning
          Unusual for Northern Illinois, but unusal overall, may I remind you about the fault near New Madrid (also named New Madrid Fault), Missiorui, and last I checked, its right near Southern Illinois. So, Illinois gets its fair share of quakes. I hate them..lol
          Alex
          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Working...
          X