No announcement yet.

Got my first Credit card and checks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit cards are a good thing if you treat them properly. You need to build a good credit rating if you are to ever buy a house or take a loan for a car. Just be real careful and keep your balance where you can afford to pay it off every month. One word of advice once you start building your credit try to get a miles card. If you have to pay it off every month you might as well get something in return. There are allot of great ways to earn double even triple the miles on your purchases.

Comment

Is the card affiliated with any airline??
      Only the dead have seen the end of the war-Plato

Comment

As Tommy mentioned, credit cards are great for building up a solid credit rating quickly, which you will need to do pretty much anything these days.

Keep your maximum limit low and don't use it unless you have to. It's always when the card is maxed out that people lose their jobs and cannot afford to pay it back, and there goes your credit rating for up to 7 years.

Nothing wrong with having a credit card though, just don't spend beyond your means.
        My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

Sometimes you need a credit card. Some places don't take debit cards.

Try renting a car, for example, without a credit card. You'll find it very difficult or impossible.

Also, credit cards often provide extra protection benefits, such as cashback, miles/points, free extended warranties, travel insurance etc.
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Use your check card as much as you can...but have a credit card with you just in case..also don't apply for too many credit cards...if they don't give it to you..they still check your credit report...
            ***My Blog***

Comment

I hate debit cards. Just a few weeks ago I had some unauthorized activity on mine. I am guessing I was the victim of someone with a number generator.

Anyway, it took a little time to clear that up and I was OUT THE MONEY until it was.

One of my credit cards had some unauthorized activity a couple years ago. It was the same story, bizarre unauthorized purchases made from online businesses. Probably someone with a number generator.

And while it was equally stressful and a pain in the ass to deal with, at least with my credit card it was funny money until the matter was cleared up!

Actually, sometimes for completely legit reasons, using debit cards can be worse than using credit cards. I was at a hotel a while back and there was a sign at the desk warning guests against using debit cards because the process of securing payment for your room pre-authorized a high amount on your card that you wouldn't get back for up to a couple weeks!

That's the danger with debit cards. They can tie up your money.

I want to get my bank to get me good ole' ordinary ATM cards that don't have the debit card feature, or else disable the debit card functionality of my cards.

Credit cards on the other hand are great! I use them for about everything. I just check up on my accounts online every week or so and pay off the balances electronically from my bank accounts.

I have two credit cards with limits so high it's sick. Between the two of them I've got a credit line of $18,800! (€15,629.24; £10,322.13)

I've never come close to maxing them out because (1) I work and (2) I don't spend money I don't have. Actually, most of the time they are completely paid off. It is as simple as that.

Mike
              Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
              lp.org

Comment

BEWARE !!!
                Even though you think using the credit card like real cash, a bank overdraft quickly surfaces.
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Hey
                  I just recently got a debit card. I am keeping much track of how I spend and treat it like cash in my pocket, if i dont have it, its not being used.

When I turn 18, I am going to get a credit card. Basically what I do is, everytime i make a payment using the credit card i WILL TAKE OUT that exact amount of money out of my checking account so when its time to pay the monthly fee or whenever the due date is I KNOW I have the money! Is that a smart idea? My dad says as long as he sees the money when its time to pay he doesnt care how I pay for it. I am an AADVANTAGE member so I most likely will use the citibank creditcard. when I turn 18 that is. I am 17 and turn 18 in 6 months.

Alex
                  Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Working...
                  X