No announcement yet.

A Victim's Account Of Rapes & Murders in May 1998

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it is a bit stupid but i thought that it was some bombing in indonesia (i.e terrorism) because i ask my friend once and that is what he told me. I never new such a sad thing happened in Indonesia in 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by solar
      I know it is a bit stupid but i thought that it was some bombing in indonesia (i.e terrorism) because i ask my friend once and that is what he told me. I never new such a sad thing happened in Indonesia in 1998.
      Yes, the bombing took place in 2002 in Bali & the other bombing took place last year in Jakarta - JW Marriot Hotel .

Up to 150 Aussies died in the bombing in Bali.

From the newspaper about the bombing in JW Marriot Hotel last year.
      Bom tu dipasang dalam sebuah mobil Blue Bird, 2 atau 3 mobil Blue Bird ancur & 2 supir mobil langsung tewas, yang satu lagi tewas di rumah sakit Jakarta 3 ari kemudian, kononnya supir yang tewas 3 hari kemudian tu minta dokter nyuntik racun ke dlm badannya kanera dia gak tahan kesakitan tu, singsara dia bilang.

Sorry, i don't know how to translate it into English. By the way, Blue Bird is a taxi company's name.

The recent bombing was in Jakarta paliament just several hours before they announced the result of the Indonesia semi-final presidency election.
      Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
      American Airlines > Always Awful
      PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
      BWIA > But Will It Arrives
      CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
      JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
      QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
      TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
      UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
      MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
      SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
      Aufganza mīntīdok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff fīnstrok dīr dcuber sakundar.

Comment

On the behalf of the ethnic Indonesians and the Muslims in Indonesia I would like to apologize for the shameful deeds of my fellow Indonesians. I am only half Indonesian myself but because I visit family there twice a year it is really a second home for me. There was no justification for this and most Indonesians I know deplore it. My cousin is an ethnic Indonesian and was stopped by rioters while driving on the the ring-road. He was forced out of his car, beaten up, and his car was set alight. I had relatives living in Pondok Indah who feared for their safety as they could hear rioters just on the other side of the mall.

Indonesia has yet to recover from the financial crisis which devastated its once vibrant economy. I have a few Chinese-Indonesian friends as does our family. And to be honest they don't like to speak about what happened because for many years they felt like true Indonesians. Today they don't turn to us and say 'Why did you guys do that to us?'. It was six years ago and people know that the only thing they can do is just put it behind them. As sickening as it was, complaining about it won't solve anything. It will only cause more divisions and more hatred.

I too was shocked when I visited in the summer of 1998 just a month after Suharto's fall, there were certain places we could not go because of demonstrations. We had to take an alternative route to the airport the day we left because of demonstrations. Last time I was there was just before the financial crisis hit and in the span of a year things had changed radically. I hope that Indonesia can return to the prosperity and stability of the 90s soon. Based on what I've seen when I was last there just over a month ago, the dust has settled and now the country can get back on track.

By the way, I drove by quite a few churches which were untouched by rioters in Jakarta Selatan. Not sure about elsehwere.

Bom tu dipasang dalam sebuah mobil Blue Bird, 2 atau 3 mobil Blue Bird ancur & 2 supir mobil langsung tewas, yang satu lagi tewas di rumah sakit Jakarta 3 ari kemudian, kononnya supir yang tewas 3 hari kemudian tu minta dokter nyuntik racun ke dlm badannya kanera dia gak tahan kesakitan tu, singsara dia bilang.
        Very rough Translation (I'm not completly fluent): The bomb was inside a Blue bird car (taxi). Two drivers were immediately killed, one died three days later in hospital. The driver who died in hospital was being treated by doctors for severe burns and internal bleeding.

Comment

Originally posted by A340_flyer
          On the behalf of the ethnic Indonesians and the Muslims in Indonesia I would like to apologize for the shameful deeds of my fellow Indonesians.
          You don't have to apologize because it was not your fault . Beside, i was in Bangkok in May 1998

I am only half Indonesian myself but because I visit family there twice a year it is really a second home for me. There was no justification for this and most Indonesians I know deplore it. My cousin is an ethnic Indonesian and was stopped by rioters while driving on the the ring-road. He was forced out of his car, beaten up, and his car was set alight. I had relatives living in Pondok Indah who feared for their safety as they could hear rioters just on the other side of the mall.
          Wow, kinda shock to hear that they beat their own man too .

Indonesia has yet to recover from the financial crisis which devastated its once vibrant economy. I have a few Chinese-Indonesian friends as does our family. And to be honest they don't like to speak about what happened because for many years they felt like true Indonesians. Today they don't turn to us and say 'Why did you guys do that to us?'.
          What to do, it's their world.

By the way, I drove by quite a few churches which were untouched by rioters in Jakarta Selatan. Not sure about elsehwere.
          Oh, Jakarta Selatan, the place is not dangerous at all as not many Indonesia Chinese live there. If your cousins are living in Jakarta Barat or Jakarta Utara, then better ask him to move to either Jakarta Selatan or Jakarta Timur, it's safer there .

Very rough Translation (I'm not completly fluent): The bomb was inside a Blue bird car (taxi). Two drivers were immediately killed, one died three days later in hospital. The driver who died in hospital was being treated by doctors for severe burns and internal bleeding.
          Amazing, A340_flyer, didn't know that you know Indon, was a little bit surprise because i use lots of Jakarta dialect there which is completely different from Bahasa Indonesia, i was surprise there are many East Malaysian use the Jakarta dialect too. By the way, i didn't say "the driver who died in the hospital was being treated by doctors for severe burns and internal bleeding." So the final translation is wrong. Anyway, thanks for the translation .

Correction :
          kanera > correct spelling in Indon should be 'karena', in Malay should be 'kerana'.
          Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
          American Airlines > Always Awful
          PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
          BWIA > But Will It Arrives
          CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
          JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
          QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
          TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
          UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
          MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
          SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
          Aufganza mīntīdok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff fīnstrok dīr dcuber sakundar.

Comment

Oh well it's a working knowledge, it's mostly the vocabulary that I need to work on.

Comment

Working...
            X