NHL Hockey Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Hockey Strike

Do you think the NHL will avoid a strike? I voted that there will be a player strike. They've gone too long without a salary cap, the players wont take this much of a pay cut. Gary Betman's an idiot. The only way that there will be a season, in my opinion, is if the NHL backs down, which isn't looking like it will happen.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

To sum up the NHLPA's position on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Salary Cap=No Deal

The NHLPA head is open to a luxury tax (much like what is used in baseball), but will not agree to a salary cap of any type.

The NHL wants to get the average player salary down to $1.5 million, down $300,000 from the current average.

I myself am siding with the NHL and the Owners, as the last time the NHLPA even presented a CBA proposal was in October of last year. Since then, the NHL has presented 6 different CBA proposals, and each has been rejected, mainly on the basis of the salary cap (or as the league calls it, cost certainity). While the owners are not entirely blameless (hey nobody put a gun to their heads and made them sign these players to these high salaries) for the current situation, the Players Association thinks that the owners aren't giving them the full picture in terms of finances. It is sad that the NHL would lose less money if they didn't even play a game this season. With there being barely a week until the CBA expires, the two sides need to get together for more than 2 hours (which was how long the meeting last Thursday lasted) until this is settled. Don't let the World Cup of Hockey be the only time we'll see the NHL players playing this season.

Comment

Comment

If these guys are playing hockey solely for the money, they've got some issues. Hell, most of these guys grow up dreaming of winning the cup. I would hope that a pay cut would let them get in the way of that. Well they'd better do something, it's gonna be a LONG winter if there's no NHL.

Comment

the NHL also needs to think long and hard about this. they are trying to decrease the average salary by 20%. they need to understand that most hockey fans will watch hockey, no matter who is running it. what is to keep the players from leaving the NHL, or having someone come up and try to start a rival league to draw players away by offering them more money? if the owners are willing to pay out the money, let them.
          Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Originally posted by assghanistan
            the NHL also needs to think long and hard about this. they are trying to decrease the average salary by 20%. they need to understand that most hockey fans will watch hockey, no matter who is running it. what is to keep the players from leaving the NHL, or having someone come up and try to start a rival league to draw players away by offering them more money? if the owners are willing to pay out the money, let them.
            Well a few weeks back, there were some rumors going around on the Hockeys Future Boards that the NHL owners were going to fold the NHL, start a new league using the existing NHL clubs and already have a CBA in place that would have a salary cap. Along those sames lines, there were rumors that the NHLPA was going to establish a player's league in many of the current NHL cities to compete against the owners. Rumor had it that the NHL was trying to buy the resurrected WHA, but the WHA management denied it (The WHA is looking less and less likely as one team has already pulled out, and the league hasn't even released a schedule and they plan to start playing next month.)

Comment

Working...
            X