Math question (aviation related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math question (aviation related)

Hello....this might be easy for some of your guys...but i just don't get the wording of this problem....

Plane Width is 199ft 11 in
    Plane Length is 242ft 4 in

"in the diagram let x represent the length of a passenger jet and let y represent the jets wingspan"

A. What does the equation 1.212y=x say about the relatioship between the length and the wingspan of the passenger jet?

B. Is the passenger jet longer than it is wide or wider than it is long? Explain your reasoning.

please help!
    ***My Blog***

A. The relationship is that the length of the jet is equal to 1.212 times the wingspan of the jet.

B. The jet is longer, since the 1 x equals more than 1 y (length is more than width).
    Will F.
    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

No offence, but in what grade are you, PIAA310? I didn't understand the question either, but that was because my answer was "It's obvious that the jet is 1.212 times longer than wide!" Now, if you guys converted to a real-world system... metres are an easy thing, you know!

Comment

i have 2 coins that = 55 cents and one isnt a nickel..................errrr................nevermind!

Comment

Originally posted by c72
          i have 2 coins that = 55 cents and one isnt a nickel..................errrr................nevermind!
          Damn word problems

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
            Originally posted by c72
            Damn word problems
            It should be 2 coins that equal 15 cents, and one isn't a nickel.

The answer is that the other one is a nickel.
            Will F.
            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
              Originally posted by c72
              Damn word problems

Smart ass :P

Comment

Originally posted by c72
                Damn word problems

"The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

LMAO!!

Comment

A. The relationship is that the length of the jet is equal to 1.212 times the wingspan of the jet.

B. The jet is longer, since the 1 x equals more than 1 y (length is more than width).

Thanks for the help...
                    ***My Blog***

Comment

Working...
                    X