Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Debate Poses Possible Terrorist Threat

Oh boy, here we go....

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI warned authorities in Florida that Thursday's presidential debate at the University of Miami could be an attractive target for terrorists.

The agencies sent an assessment of potential terrorist threats and tactics to Florida Homeland Security Adviser and to the FBI's Miami field office.

"We do not have any specific information or intelligence to suggest that this first presidential debate is a target," a DHS official said, adding that there was no specific threat information against any of the debates. (Special Report: America Votes 2004, the debates)

The official said that the face-offs between President Bush and Democratic nominee John Kerry were symbolic events that terrorists might target in an effort to disrupt the elections.

The warning, issued Monday, notes that southern Florida has been used as a base of operations and transit point by al Qaeda operatives and some of the 9/11 hijackers.

The warning identifies some potential "soft targets" in south Florida, but the DHS official said there is no specific intelligence that they have been targeted.

The warning "basically looks at very broad intelligence that has been out there for a long time," the official said.

It mentions "things to look out for" and points out vulnerable sectors, but the official said it does not recommend specific protective measures.

Because of its relatively small size, the debate has not been designated a national special security event -- unlike this summer's Democratic and Republican national conventions, the DHS official said.

The U.S. Secret Service is leading the security planning because it is charged with protecting Bush and Kerry.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

The terrorists don't even have to do anything. Everyone is already shitteing their pants just thinking about an attack

The actual debate is more important than anything though... should be interesting to watch.

Comment

(sneezes) oh sorry im alergic to bullsh!t
      -Kevin

Comment

What time is the debate again? (I fear I will miss it due to SAT classes)
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

I am not excited about the debate. Kerry is going to dig himself into a hole. If only he had the speaking ability of Al Sharpton, John Edwards, or Bill Clinton...

EDIT: I think it's @ 8 or 8:30

Comment

The debate is at 9 PM EST...
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

with all the security there, they need to worry more about another hurricane, not a terrorist attack
              He who expected nothin......aint gonna be deceived-JR

Comment

Originally posted by cal99
                with all the security there, they need to worry more about another hurricane, not a terrorist attack
                Yeah those storms could really help Bush win Florida by showing he's supportive and sympathetic, if he can get congress to send money down there fast enough.
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

According to the Department of Homeland Security and the media, everything could be a potential danger. What better way to keep the masses at bay?

Comment

Some of my observations. Some have already been pointed out though.
                    1) "You don't send troops to war without the body armor that they need. I've met kids in Ohio, parents in Wisconsin places, Iowa, where they're going out on the Internet to get the state-of-the-art body gear to send to their kids. Some of them got them for a birthday present."

Mr. Kerry, do you even remember voting against the 87 billion which would have funded that armor?

2) "And we got weapons of mass destruction crossing the border every single day, and they're blowing people up."

Mr. Kerry has apparently located the WMDs!

3) "Now, he misled the American people in his speech when he said we will plan carefully. They obviously didn't. He misled the American people when he said we'd go to war as a last resort."

Mr. Kerry, what are the standards of 'planning carefully' and 'last resort?'

4) "Well, I've never, ever used the harshest word, as you did just then. And I try not to. I've been -- but I'll nevertheless tell you that I think he has not been candid with the American people."

Mar 10, 2004: The republican critics are "the most crooked ... lying group I've ever seen." -John Kerry

5) " We just read on the front pages of America's papers..."

There's credibility right there folks...yeah right.

6) "...I would have preferred that he did more diplomacy."

Diplomacy: 12 years. Ain't that enough?

7) "And we pushed our allies aside."

I'm sure he was referring to our 'friends' France, Germany, and Russia. Well, it's more we were pushed aside by them--pushed aside by our 'allies' at the U.N.

8 ) "...a president who can bring allies to our side."

Mr. Kerry, we have 30 nations. If they have less than 4,000 troops on the ground each, does that make them any less of an ally than Great Britain? Not enough allies? Ha!
                    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Mr. Kerry, what are the standards of...'last resort?'
                      Not overriding the United Nations, for a start.

What's the point of being a member of the UN if you aren't going to listen to it anyway?
                      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

I just realize I posted my original message in the wrong thread.
                        CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Re: Presidential Debate Poses Possible Terrorist Threat

Presidential Debate Poses Possible Terrorist Threat
                          Who, that terrorist smoking or farting in the elevator?

Comment

Working...
                          X