Freedom to Assemble/Free Speech? I think not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom to Assemble/Free Speech? I think not

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Protesters and onlookers arrested during the Republican National Convention sued New York City on Thursday and said police had violated their free speech and other constitutional rights.

At least two suits filed in Manhattan federal court said police detained more than 1,800 people during the convention, many of whom were not involved in illegal activity or who were not even demonstrators. Both suits were filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Among plaintiffs is a dance teacher who was arrested while she was walking to work near a demonstration in the Union Square area of Manhattan. The suit charges she fainted and went into convulsions during the time of her confinement.

The suits were filed one day after the Manhattan district attorney's office said it would not prosecute cases against 227 protesters who were arrested on Aug. 31 during one of the most disputed demonstrations of the convention. Prosecutors said it would be difficult to prove the protesters had deliberately defied orders.

The police are arresting people who aren't even in protests?

And I watched something on the news last night that talked about how all of these people that were protesting peacefully were arrested.
    I guess the police threw the 1st Amendment out the window.
    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Damn right their constitutional rights were violated. You shouldn't need a "permit" to peacefully assemble anywhere.

Even though I detest a lot of those pinko commie bastards who tend to do the protesting.

Mike
    Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
    lp.org

Comment

Well, its better to be safe than sorry. The cops were outnumbered; they didn't have the time nor the resources to be picky about who they arrested.
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Or.....the police did not prepare for the situation properly and as a result lost control resulting in random arrests.

Matt
        My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
          Well, its better to be safe than sorry. The cops were outnumbered; they didn't have the time nor the resources to be picky about who they arrested.
          So i guess you are ok with throwing away the constitution and just arresting anyone who the cops feel like arresting
          The founding fathers must be turning in their graves right now

You really are a moron

Stuff like this story really bothers me. Sad that stuff like this happens in "the land of the free"

Comment

You just HAVE to defend anything that might be said against the Reps, isn't it?

Better to be safe than sorry about what? Peaceful protests are nowhere denounced in the constitution, and in this case the police clearly violated their rights. What's so complicated?
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by Van Hoolio
              Damn right their constitutional rights were violated. You shouldn't need a "permit" to peacefully assemble anywhere.
              Mike
              You're damn right you need a permit if you're going to interrupt the traffic flow of a major city like NYC. You can't just have a mob of people in the streets without a permit and not expect arrests.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                Originally posted by Van Hoolio
                Mike
                You're damn right you need a permit if you're going to interrupt the traffic flow of a major city like NYC. You can't just have a mob of people in the streets without a permit and not expect arrests.
                You actually expect us to believe that the cops arrested the protesters because they "interfered with the traffic flow"..

Bush's motorcade would have caused more interruption that that.
                "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines

Better to be safe than sorry about what? Peaceful protests are nowhere denounced in the constitution, and in this case the police clearly violated their rights. What's so complicated?
                  No, if it was Reps, I would say the same thing. I can't recall Republican protesters severely injuring NYPD officers or shooting bullets into Kerry campaign buildings, though.
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

No, if it was Reps, I would say the same thing. I can't recall Republican protesters severely injuring NYPD officers or shooting bullets into Kerry campaign buildings, though.
                    Right, I'm sure the police only arrested those people...

Btw, I've never heard of that stuff happening...wasn't on the news, probably just some isolated incident...

Comment

Right, I'm sure the police only arrested those people...

Btw, I've never heard of that stuff happening...wasn't on the news, probably just some isolated incident...
                      You didn't see the video of the Democratic protester beating the sh*t out of an NYPD cop? The news played it over and over. The officer ended up in critical condition.

Anyways, like I said before, it is better to be safe than sorry. It doesn't matter if you are dealing with Republicans, Democrats, or even Nader supporters.

Comment

I could possibly understand better to be safe than sorry. Some of the protestors have gotten violent. But some have not at all.

And arresting people for WALKING BY?
                        Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                        ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Anyways, like I said before, it is better to be safe than sorry. It doesn't matter if you are dealing with Republicans, Democrats, or even Nader supporters.
                          Yea... i'm sure that if you were just walking by like the dance teacher you would have been glad to be arrested because the cops "weren't sure". You seriously should put the bong away for a while.

I really hope that there aren't too many people like you who will get into positions of leadership and/or law making, or we are really screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                            I really hope that there aren't too many people like you who will get into positions of leadership and/or law making, or we are really screwed
                            Just wait till 2032.
                            It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                              Yea... i'm sure that if you were just walking by like the dance teacher you would have been glad to be arrested because the cops "weren't sure". You seriously should put the bong away for a while.

When you are outnumbered 10 to 1, you can't afford to take chances. Personally, I think the NYPD did an outstanding job. The protests didn't get too violent, no real riots, and people still got to voice their opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X