This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depression

anyone here ever suffered or suffer from it?? i've suffered from it since i was 13 and it's just about the toughest thing to battle, i've had neurosurgery, stomach surgery, broken leg, but nothing compares to depression!

what sh!ts me is when friends tell me get over it, if only it was that simple, these last few months i've been in that boat quite badly, which is why i am taking timeout from screening duties etc.

trying to find your place in todays society is one of the hardest things to do, thats the road i'm taking at the moment, it's hard, long and very draining, and as i search i realise things about myself that i never knew.

anyone else here been down that road? and no smartarse replies please!

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

not yet. hopefully never.

Edit: Isn't there some kind of medication for depression. I'm pretty sure there is, depending on the severity of depression, because a neighbor of ours once had depression, and she was given some kind of medication to control it.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

never heard of Prozac?

There is more medications for depression, then varieties of lollies. (sweets)
      Depression sucks

Comment

i was on Endep and Alepam for a long time, especially after my car accident and with the panic and anxiety attacks i was having, but i found i was asleep more tahn awake so i got off them.

though my doctor keeps me supplied with prescriptions just incase, at one stage in 2002 i couldnt even walk into a mall without freaking out!

next trips
        USA/DXB August.

Comment

depression

Well, sort of. I've gone through some very bad times in school, and those experiences have left a scar in my soul. Sometimes, I am lying awake, thinking "What is my position in this world? Why am I always the victim for the school bullies? Why do I have to suffer from so many illnesses?" etc. Especially, when I was told that I had to repeat a class, only weeks from the A-Level exams, I was at a lowpoint, doubting that I would make it through an additional year in school, on more year with the bullies. And the fact that I had all the stomach problems also attributed to my mental situation.
          And when I said to somebody that I felt depressive, the only answer was "Oh come on, you're only 19/20 (depends on the year). Teenagers in your age don't get depressive. Stop making up such stuff." And if no one believes you, that's the worst thing to happen. After successfully finishing school this summer my mood went up, but after not getting a job, it got bad again. Fortunately, it's not as bad as it used to be, but I still have days where I just want to be left alone and dissappear from this world, and don't think that anything makes sense anymore.
          I'm also trying find my way out of this, but to achieve this I need positive news, but I don't get any. I've been single for 2 years now, I'm only working as a delivery boy, I got involved in a car accident, my parents have financial problems, etc. Outside of aviation, there have been absolutely no positive news for me, ever since I finished school. But as long as I have my dreams, I won't give up.

-Colin

Comment

DAL767-400ER,

Feel your pain man, same shit here. Except I chose to do a year of school again.

One day you'll wake up, and that one main issue that cause a lot of other problems will be gone, or you simply won't give a shit about it and get over it. I used to be bullied and teased at school, but no one would do it to me now because of my attitude in which I responded to them with.

Your parents financal problems aren't yours big fella, so dont blame yourself, or even get yourself involved in that one. Been there, done that.

If there is only one thing that keeps you going, then cheerish and embrace it. For me it was my cat. She got me through so many troubled times, I could never find enough words to express how much i love her, and how much she has helped me.

I'm also trying find my way out of this, but to achieve this I need positive news, but I don't get any.
            Don't wait for positive news to come to you, go and make some of our own! Even if its as simple as getting some mail eg. if you dont normally recieve much mail, do things that means you do. Getting mail is something that makes me happy, for some reason.

Take apples for example. When they are ripe for the picking, they don't fall off into your basket ready to go, they fall on the ground and waste away. Go pick the apples off the tree before they drop.

I hope you understand my analagy

Comment

depression

Torin,

thanks for the kind words, but some things to clear up:
              I did repeat one year in school, and it was the best decision I've made so far : Better marks, made more friends etc. but of course when I first heard the news it really brought me down.
              Regarding my parents financials, it is also my problem because a) I still live with my parents, although I basically have my own dwelling inside their house, b) the company I work for is partially owned by my dad, and c) I'm hoping to start doing trades with China, and my Dad has all the connections.
              Doing trading with China is also what I have high hopes for. They can produce cheap, and even if I add myself a nice premium on the price, it would still cost way less than what other companies charge, and with the right connections, this might turn into a big money maker for me, and would probably also allow for me to do some trips to Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Shenzhen .

-Colin

Comment

Re: depression

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                Torin,

thanks for the kind words, but some things to clear up:
                I did repeat one year in school, and it was the best decision I've made so far : Better marks, made more friends etc. but of course when I first heard the news it really brought me down.
                Regarding my parents financials, it is also my problem because a) I still live with my parents, although I basically have my own dwelling inside their house, b) the company I work for is partially owned by my dad, and c) I'm hoping to start doing trades with China, and my Dad has all the connections.
                Doing trading with China is also what I have high hopes for. They can produce cheap, and even if I add myself a nice premium on the price, it would still cost way less than what other companies charge, and with the right connections, this might turn into a big money maker for me, and would probably also allow for me to do some trips to Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Shenzhen .

-Colin
                I see a few positives in there mate!

Repaeating a year at school is a very hard thing to do, I am glad both you and I decided to go through with it.

If you were stealing money from your parents, then their financial situation would be your fault, but you a member of a family unit. You're not an undue burdon on your parents. Unless your 55 working and not paying board/rent.

Comment

DAL76, and Torin,

I know EXACTLY word for word what you guys are going thru. I have 15 or some odd bullies on me. Never stop. Just because were a little smarter, o differnt we have to pay. This world does suck in MANY social ways. When people tell me "oh im joking, i was joking about punching you", "you know im joking rite? i wasnt serious about it". I wish people would just close there mouths! It sucks more when you cant find anybody who shares the same intrests in planes and other things that are near you. Plus i have a bowel desiese and milk allergy, which adds to the problum.

-Kevin

Comment

Hang in there, Longreach! You'll be fine buddy, just stay positive, and pretty soon you feel good again. Keep chugging along!

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                      DAL76, and Torin,

I know EXACTLY word for word what you guys are going thru. I have 15 or some odd bullies on me. Never stop. Just because were a little smarter, o differnt we have to pay. This world does suck in MANY social ways. When people tell me "oh im joking, i was joking about punching you", "you know im joking rite? i wasnt serious about it". I wish people would just close there mouths! It sucks more when you cant find anybody who shares the same intrests in planes and other things that are near you. Plus i have a bowel desiese and milk allergy, which adds to the problum.
                      I get teased at school too. The only real friend I had in my grade switched schools and a few more of my friends are one year behind me... but i hang out with them before school starts. Other than that tho i don't really have friends and several kids tease me. But my grades are good though so I just try to ignore them but it sucks when everyone is part of a "group" and your not. But at least when i come home i'm alone (only child) so i just forget all the kids at school and by myself, and not have anyone bothering me. I just tell myself that in 5 years or whatever it's not gonna matter what happened in high school or how popular you were or weren't and usually the kids that tease others don't amount to much anyways. I used to get sick alot also from allergies but i think that allergie shots helped with that as i havn't gotten sick this fall yet.

At least there is someone else in a similar situation as i am socially.

Comment

Re: depression

I know how you feel. I get depressed frequently, and you're right when you said that people just tell you to get over it. It's not that simple most of the time, and sometimes that just makes it worse. I've had many days where I wished I'd never wake up again. I'm starting to realize though that I can't live the rest of my life this way. So I'm slowly trying to teach myself to handle the stress and the changes in different ways. Hope you start to feel better about things.

Comment

longreach,

Read carefully,

I will speak to you like I speak to my brother:

Listen boy, get your ass up from the chair and take a shower. Get yourself a new facial hair look and start exercising. Look at your options and make a decision within 5 minutes without thinking about the damn consequences. You are a man, and a man is never confused. Pull yourself up, grab a burger and enjoy yourself and after that, you are NOT GOING TO BE DEPRESSED any more.

Wake up boy, shake yourself and think yourself as on a mission...the mission to reconstruct your life.

Signed,
                          A Friend.

PS. I also have had terrible swings of depression in the past and they happen to everybody. They come and go...like money and when you are going thru one, you better stop reading this, turn off your computer and go outside for a walk cursing your life. Come back home and then do something about it.
                          You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

Comment

gee i wonder why your brother is like that

the last thing anyone who feels down is to be told off
                            -Kevin

Comment

...aic1985...
                              Will F.
                              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X