Anti-Kerry film to air in prime time next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Kerry film to air in prime time next week

Sounds good to me. If TV can show Micheal Moore's movie on the night before the elections, I don't see any problem with this.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/11/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Sinclair Broadcast Group, owner of the largest chain of television stations in the nation, plans to air a documentary that accuses Sen. John Kerry of betraying American prisoners during the Vietnam War, a newspaper reported Monday.

The network has ordered all 62 of its stations to air "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal" without commercials in prime-time next week, the Washington Post said, just two weeks before the Nov. 2 election.

Sinclair's television group, which includes affiliates of all the major networks, reaches nearly a quarter of all U.S. television households, according to the company's Web site. But the affiliates owned by the major television networks reach a larger percentage of U.S. homes because they are in the largest markets.

A dozen of Sinclair's stations are in the critical swing states of Ohio, Florida, Iowa and Wisconsin.

The company made news in April when it ordered seven of its ABC-affiliated stations not to air a "Nightline" segment that featured a reading of the names of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq; a Sinclair executive called that broadcast "contrary to the public interest."

Calls to Sinclair by CNN/Money were not immediately returned Monday.

Media Matters for America, a liberal watchdog group, has written a letter to Sinclair asking the company to cancel reported plans to air the film between now and the Nov. 2 election, the group said in a statement.

"Sinclair's plan to air anti-Kerry propaganda before the election is an abuse of the public airwaves for what appears to be partisan political purposes," Media Matters CEO David Brock said in the letter.

The letter warned Sinclair that its plan could constitute a violation of broadcast regulations requiring equal time for political candidates, as well as the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law, the group said.

Sinclair's top executives include members of the controlling Smith family, who have been strong financial supporters of Bush's campaign, the Post said in its report.

Sinclair executives have given nearly $68,000 in political contributions, 97 percent of it going to Republicans, since the beginning of the year, according to the Los Angeles Times.

According to the report, "Stolen Honor" focuses on Kerry's antiwar testimony to Congress in 1971 and its effect on American POWs in Vietnam, and was produced independently of Sinclair.

The anti-Kerry film states that the senator's testimony hurt the American war effort and undercut morale among the troops.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

I really hope 9/11 airs before the election... that movie was.. wow!

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
      It probably will, on pay per view for about $9.95.
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

That movie was...crap...fabricated...manipulated...and features so many things taken/shown out of context that the actual truths, whatever they may be, are lost...
        The sad part is that many people worldwide think that the movie is actually 100% true.
        George R. Widener
        Oshkosh, WI USA
        Aircraft Photos Here
        Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by pullin4u
          That movie was...crap...fabricated...manipulated...and features so many things taken/shown out of context that the actual truths, whatever they may be, are lost...
          The sad part is that many people worldwide think that the movie is actually 100% true.
          Yep. One example- Moore used a real newspaper and put a fake headline on it, and then used it in his movie. The newspaper was thinking about filing a lawsuit, and that's the last I heard of it.

Comment

I don't see how showing 9/11 on pay-per-view is the same as showing this movie in primetime for everyone...
            Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
            ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrewster1012
              I don't see how showing 9/11 on pay-per-view is the same as showing this movie in primetime for everyone...
              I think Moore's 9/11 movie will be on regular TV...not pay-per-view.
              I could be wrong.
              George R. Widener
              Oshkosh, WI USA
              Aircraft Photos Here
              Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

I could be wrong.
                From what I have heard, it will be on pay-per-view as a 3-hour special, bookended by interviews from like-minded celebrities.

Well, Fahrenheit 9/11 was a movie, recently on the big screen. Movies just don't go from theaters to cable in a couple of months.

Comment

I understand that it would be odd for it to go to TV so fast.

However, you said you thought it was fair because 9/11 would be on TV also. But PPV, not the same as regular TV. I don't see the justification in that. I think if one's on regular TV, they both should be, if one's not, the other shouldn't be.
                  Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                  ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

I understand that it would be odd for it to go to TV so fast.

However, you said you thought it was fair because 9/11 would be on TV also. But PPV, not the same as regular TV. I don't see the justification in that. I think if one's on regular TV, they both should be, if one's not, the other shouldn't be.
                    True. I guess we'll have to see how it pans out...

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                      I could be wrong.
                      From what I have heard, it will be on pay-per-view as a 3-hour special, bookended by interviews from like-minded celebrities.

Well, Fahrenheit 9/11 was a movie, recently on the big screen. Movies just don't go from theaters to cable in a couple of months.
                      I realize that movies don't go from theatre to TV in months...I just thought Moore was pushing his anti-Bush agenda so agressively that he would allow it to happen.
                      George R. Widener
                      Oshkosh, WI USA
                      Aircraft Photos Here
                      Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

I just thought Moore was pushing his anti-Bush agenda so agressively that he would allow it to happen.
                        You are right, he certainly wouldn't mind it. He has even come out in support of people downloading illegal copies of his movie offline just so that they could "hear the message."

Comment

Sinclair Broadcast Group is a bunch of Bush lovers, and are one of the biggest beneficiaries of the relaxed FCC station ownership rules. This company ordered its' ABC affliates not to broadcast an episode of Nightline earlier this year because they were going to list the names and show pictures of the 500 US soldiers killed in Iraq at that time. In fact, Sinclair Broadcast Group is in violation of the Equal Time rule for broadcasters and should be fined for it.

Comment

When is the HBO special on GWB drunk driving gonna air?

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
                              Sinclair Broadcast Group is a bunch of Bush lovers, and are one of the biggest beneficiaries of the relaxed FCC station ownership rules. This company ordered its' ABC affliates not to broadcast an episode of Nightline earlier this year because they were going to list the names and show pictures of the 500 US soldiers killed in Iraq at that time. In fact, Sinclair Broadcast Group is in violation of the Equal Time rule for broadcasters and should be fined for it.
                              http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/...qualtimeru.htm
                              I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to pay a fine. They have donated tens of thousands to Bush's campaign.

Its always good to have a conservative voice in the mainly liberal tv media.

Comment

Working...
                              X