hard in math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is wierd.

BEDMAS/BODMAS says division before multiplication.

PEMDAS says multiplication before division.

Personally, I've always used BODMAS and it's never been wrong.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

its like adding and subtraction, they are interchangeable. if you do 2+4-3, 6-3 is the same as 2+1. 3*10/5: 30/5, or 3*2
      ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

i never went wrong myself with BEDMAS

Comment

Originally posted by schuyler
          its like adding and subtraction, they are interchangeable. if you do 2+4-3, 6-3 is the same as 2+1. 3*10/5: 30/5, or 3*2
          Not really.

3/6*2 (by BEDMAS) = 1

3/6*2 (by PEMDAS) = 1/4

"The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
            Not really.

3/6*2 (by BEDMAS) = 1

3/6*2 (by PEMDAS) = 1/4

Actually, division and multiplication are to be done in the order as they appear in the equation.

Therefore, in this question, 3 divided by 6, then times 2, would provide the correct answer, which is 1.

Try it in a calculator. Type the question into it without any brackets, you should get 1.
            Will F.
            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

calculators mess things up like that....
              ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Trust me. The rule is that mulitplication and division are NOT interchangeable. They are done in the order as they appear from left to right.
                Will F.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                  Trust me. The rule is that mulitplication and division are NOT interchangeable. They are done in the order as they appear from left to right.
                  Yeah, they are definitely not interchangeable. Not sure about the left-right thing though. I'm pretty sure it's always "first division, then multiplication".

Comment

No--it's definitely left to right. Not division first
                    let's say you have:
                    8/2*4*3*6/2
                    it equals 144 on my Ti-83
                    If you separate each step, it still equals 144

Just like addition and subtraction...left to right. (although that doesn't matter because it's commutative as long as you are adding negative numbers instead of subtracting positive numbers)

Comment

8+4/4*3/2

How about that?

I say the answer is 9.5 (by first doing the divisions, then the multiplication and finally the addition).

Going by your logic of left to right it should be 4.5

The TI-83 seems to think I'm right.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's always "first division, then multiplication".
                        How did you pass highschool math Tanuj!

jk
                        Will F.

Comment

Check above Will.

Comment

8+4/4*3/2

How about that?

I say the answer is 9.5

Going by your logic it should be 4.5

The TI-83 seems to think I'm right.
                            4/4 = 1
                            1 x 3 = 3
                            3/2 = 3/2
                            8+3/2 = 19/2 = 9.5

Look at any math textbook...the order is:

1) Brackets
                            2) Exponents
                            3) Divison/Muliplication - As they appear from left to right
                            4) Addition/Subtraction - As they appear from left to right

I can't believe we are spending so long arguing a FACT!
                            Will F.

Comment

End of matter - Always use brackets!

Edit: and even though the left-right rule may be right, there is NO such instance where the "first division, then multiplication" rule doesn't work. Both of us are right.

Comment

in BEDMAN and PEDMAS its this, Divi or Multi, which ever comes first, Add or sub, which ever comes first, but you must follow the rule of bracets and exponents
                                -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X