Japan rocked by biggest typhoon since '91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan rocked by biggest typhoon since '91

One thing about living in Asia for a while, it is really ignored a lot by the western world. to find any news on this I had to dig about 3 pages deep on Yahoo news and there was only about 20 seconds devoted to it on CNN Headline news (more time being spent on one of the dorky princes from England having words with a photographer). 63 dead, 25 missing. It was the 10th typhoon to go through Japan this season, yet you hear nothin. But when 3 storms go through Florida, that's all you hear about for a month. Not trying to downlpay the importance of florida (they do make it look like we're pissing Cuba afterall), just makin a point.

The lack of coverage just shows how sheltered and self-centered most of America is. I'm sure they can read several pages every day in their papers about our election process.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

The typhoon went over me in Kyushu, however not much damage was done here. The full force of it was felt when it hit Shikoku and Honshu where damage was more widespread.

Another thing that is wierd is that the typhoon was given a name. By who?? I doubt it was by someone in Japan. In the west, cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons and given names, however in Japan they are given numbers. This one was number 23 (of the year). 24 is already in motion, however it may hit Taiwan and China.

YBBN - James

Comment

I don't know...I heard about the typhoon on both the local news tonight as well as on a radio station's newsbreak earlier in the day.
        George R. Widener
        Oshkosh, WI USA
        Aircraft Photos Here
        Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Plenty of news here but it's all in Japanese

From what I can work out, the latest is that about 89 people are dead. One seaside town got hit by a 17 metre (51ft) wave and made a real mess. Concrete blocks were thrown around like they were made out of plastic. I saw a photo of a fishing boat lying in a rice paddie a long way inland earlier. Right now the news is showing a train that got blown over!

Here in Tokyo, we got the edge of it. Had a bit of flooding. The wind only lasted an hour here and I was out the back of my apartment taking photos of the cityscape 15 minutes after it was all over.

Comment

Read this morning in the parisian edtion of the METRO free newspaper. The item come along with a picture of the tidal wave, frightening.
            My sympathy for Japan and condolenses for all who lost a relative/friend
            Another one which should have occured in even more self centered France's so-called Azur coast

Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by N228UA
              From what I can work out, the latest is that about 89 people are dead. One seaside town got hit by a 17 metre (51ft) wave and made a real mess.

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but is your family alright Joe?

Comment

Was the front page of the world section here in NZ. Not good at all, lots of storms, was bad enough when i was there, all kids got sent home early from school.

Im wondering about my Host family now.
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                    This may be a stupid question, but is your family alright Joe?
                    yeah, they're near Tokyo and it wasn't bad at all there. Thanks for askin though.

Comment

Working...
                    X