• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheikh Zayed dies

UAE leader Sheikh Zayed has died.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...esident%20Dies

Report: UAE president Sheik Zayed dies

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- The president of the United Arab Emirates, Sheik Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, has died, according to Abu Dhabi TV. He was 86.

Sheik Zayed, who has been absolute ruler of the United Arab Emirates for more than 30 years, had been ailing for several years and did not attend Arab summits. He had a kidney transplant in August 2000.

His eldest son, Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, has been heir apparent since his father named him in 1969 crown prince of Abu Dhabi, the capital and richest of the seven emirates.

Abu Dhabi TV interrupted regular broadcasting to break the news of Sheik Zayed's death, but no cause of death was provided. The announcement was followed by an Islamic cleric appearing on TV reading verses from the Quran.

Sheik Zayed, ruler of Abu Dhbai since 1966, was the founding leader of the United Arab Emirates, which he had ruled since the seven emirates forged a union and took independence from Britain in 1971. He has watched over the Emirates' development from a cluster of desert provinces ruled by Arab tribes to a world-leading financial and banking center.

Admittingly he was aged. My greatest sympathy and condolenses for his relatives On the other hand here is somebody who worked to make his citizens happy and well-off in a prosperous economy by strating from scratch. The UAE have already reached a level of development most African countries rulers should not even allowed to dream of !!! Show must go on and let's wish all the best to Sheik Khalifa in keeping his father good work on.
    Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I always thought he was younger... it's now virtually impossible to imagine the UAE without its wealth and prosperity, thanks to him.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Hopefully his successor will live up to his legacy.

Comment

What is the situation like politically in the United Arab Emirates? I'd imagine being under an absolute ruler there is a fair amount of censorship and oppression.

Comment

True for Saudi Arabia, not so for the UAE in which women are free to work and walk by head uncovered. Once in Southampton/England on a summer class, I was told that every is possible except voluntarely pouring tea on ground. About the UAE, let me adapt our school head Mr Hewlett's words as follow, you can do anything civilized here except assaulting and killing the head-of-state. To cut a story short ; much more freedom than in Africa and the neighbooring countries. In Dubai, you can see parties of Sauds and Kuwaitis coming to unleash. Off course those guys visit as singles
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
            X